You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus Merging Sources Panel

when working on a large file, as the one in the Workbook, Mother of Millions, I had to save the image down and carry on working the day after. When I came back to my image the Source Panel was empty. I'd lost all the images. I couldn't find any way to load them back in without importing every one of the 41 initial photos and clicking the Add Global Source button to bring each one back to the list. This is very time consuming and seems a little stupid really. I could find nothing in the documentation for repopulating the source panel. I tried saving history with document but that didn't help either. Is this an oversight or have I missed something? If it's not my error perhaps something needs adding to accommodate this facility? 

Try searching for the phrase "Sources Panel". Just now, I got your query and one I posted with the same problem. @Lee D replied saying:

"Just click on View > Studio > Sources and this will reopen it for you. You can also drag it over the other panels and dock it, so it's alway visible. "

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Opening the panel isn’t the problem. When you save to .afphoto any files populating the panel are lost. That means you have to begin again from the beginning. If you have 50 photos in the source panel and you’re half way through removing halos and haven’t time to finish the job either you leave the computer switched on until you get back again or you have to lose it and start again from the beginning next time you have the chance. 

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep, been evaluating focus merge and find the results are very good, but it's a shame that references to sources are not saved with the document.  Ideally I would like it if all stacks / panorama / HDR could be saved with references to the original images rather than a copy of all of the data (nb, I haven't tested each of these) although of course there are caveats with portablity of documents and making things clear to users.  In the case of sources, it seems to me that relative paths could be saved, and if at some point these were invalid it would simply mean the user would be presented with a warning that corresponding sources weren't available & option to relocate - it wouldn't mean that the image itself as saved became invalid.

I suppose it does somewhat differ from the way that 'sources' was conceptually designed so there'd likely be some refactoring and even re-design needed to decide how sources relate to a project rather than the current state of the program while running, but hopefully it'll be considered.