You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help me with some shading and shapes please!!

Hi there! I need to draw a walnut in black and white for a tattoo however i dont know the best way to do the shading as it has some very strange shapes, is it possible to have more than one gradient in a shape or should i do individual shapes, any advice would be much appreciated, Thanks!!!

WALNUT.jpg

Hi, willscott,

I've been trying to make a response for about 8 - 9 hours, but I'm stymied for several reasons.

1. I know little about tattoo art. I know for B&W, there are different methods for line art, and blends of line and stipple. But I don't know specifically how the tattoo pens work to produce those. Yes, many many punctures, but is it better to do fine line weight gradations for shading, or can loose dotting work for grey scale?

Which gets to 2. I'm supposing that when you ask about gradients, the work can be done w. stippling. And/or using dilute ink to make a grey-ish color. I work mainly w. Designer, and one can assign multiple gradients to a single vector outline by grouping the object to itself. That can be tricky.  It is better to nest multiple objects w. different gradients and levels of transparency within a parent object.

Photo has a nice color filter that creates monochrome dots. A simple B&W conversion, but I don't know how useful this would be for making tattoos, since doing a manual transcription would probably be way too tedious.

And in the end, after messing about w. the sample image, it seems that recognition fails after just a small amount of manipulation. If the image is desaturated, most of the "walnut" perception goes away. Its a grey blob. Just a small decrease in detail turns it into a Rohschach blot.  Personally, I'd go w. lots of contour lines.

Sorry to not be of much, if any, help. My elder daughter and her husband will be visiting in a day and a half. They have 30+ years doing tattoos between them, and they may have some pointers, tho' they do not use Affinity, and I know little about their practices. Perhaps they will offer suggestions.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Give us an example of the look you are after.

Which Affinity app are you using?

Is this the kind of look you are after?
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-21-44-30.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It might also be better to use a more open licensed image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Walnut_kernel_up_close.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 hours ago, firstdefence said:

It might also be better to use a more open licensed image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Walnut_kernel_up_close.jpg

16 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, willscott,

I've been trying to make a response for about 8 - 9 hours, but I'm stymied for several reasons.

1. I know little about tattoo art. I know for B&W, there are different methods for line art, and blends of line and stipple. But I don't know specifically how the tattoo pens work to produce those. Yes, many many punctures, but is it better to do fine line weight gradations for shading, or can loose dotting work for grey scale?

Which gets to 2. I'm supposing that when you ask about gradients, the work can be done w. stippling. And/or using dilute ink to make a grey-ish color. I work mainly w. Designer, and one can assign multiple gradients to a single vector outline by grouping the object to itself. That can be tricky.  It is better to nest multiple objects w. different gradients and levels of transparency within a parent object.

Photo has a nice color filter that creates monochrome dots. A simple B&W conversion, but I don't know how useful this would be for making tattoos, since doing a manual transcription would probably be way too tedious.

And in the end, after messing about w. the sample image, it seems that recognition fails after just a small amount of manipulation. If the image is desaturated, most of the "walnut" perception goes away. Its a grey blob. Just a small decrease in detail turns it into a Rohschach blot.  Personally, I'd go w. lots of contour lines.

Sorry to not be of much, if any, help. My elder daughter and her husband will be visiting in a day and a half. They have 30+ years doing tattoos between them, and they may have some pointers, tho' they do not use Affinity, and I know little about their practices. Perhaps they will offer suggestions.

Thanks so much for the message i really appreciate it, im using affinity designer on mac and will give my best shot at your advice, yes that would be amazing thanks! maybe they will know more about the colours? thanks alot!

14 hours ago, summersara said:

Hi, 

If your on Instagram, do a search for idea’s: #walnuttattoo

AF5233CE-C202-46CD-8B67-28819922049B.png

yes I am and didnt think of that! thanks alot, ill definitely give it a go :)

16 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, willscott,

16 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Give us an example of the look you are after.

Which Affinity app are you using?

Is this the kind of look you are after?
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-21-44-30.png

Hi There! thanks alot for your time and advice, im using affinity designer on mac because i wanted to do the drawing from scratch, i have affinity photo but not much knowledge of it

Screenshot 2019-02-24 13.55.50.png

Hello, again, willscott,

Just showed the thread to my daughter and SIL. They were pretty supportive, but I didn't try to pick their brains too much.

The agreement from them was to :

1. Get a larger sample image. Highest resolution possible. The original sample in the thread displeased them.

2. Hand trace the contour images as best one can. That is the base.

3. Reduce the image to whatever size it needs to be for the area to be tattooed, and print onto transfer paper.

4. Do the line work, and add shading in whatever method in which the artist is most comfortable, referring to the original image as one works. For them, not useful to have printed shading. They would do fine lines in different grey shades as required.

They agreed that placing a shell and/or leaves around the walnut kernel would be a good idea, as illustrated in some of the above samples. Likewise, some color rather than B&W would probably be more effective.

To get this a bit more AD oriented, I'll offer that using the vector pencil, preferably w. a tablet, would be a good way to do the contours. The line weight can be modified to show how the edge curves fade away when moving between different depths.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet