aman204

How to select for editing in Affinity Photo

Having recently installed Affinity Photo however facing issues with having the selection to edit - have tried clicking the element like we do in photoshop or selecting from layer but both ways, the option to edit doesnt appear. 

https://cl.ly/a6cdb4dc3407

Have tried with varied selections

Please note that that it is PSD file which had been created in photoshop and now being edited in Affinity photo

Regards

It is not entirely clear from your description or link how you are trying to edit the layer. It would help to know which tool are you using, where exactly on the canvas you are clicking, the type of object (Artistic Text, perhaps?), & so on.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

If your trying to edit the text you pointed to, make sure you have your Preferences set to import PSD text as editable.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.424 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.2.422 Beta

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If your trying to edit the text you pointed to, make sure you have your Preferences set to import PSD text as editable.

Thank you for the guidance! It has helped in reaching the stage of enabling layers to be editable now however some further assistance would be appreciated. Following is the gist -

1) facing issues with having the selection to edit > Recalling the excerpt from parent topic, The selection still doesnt work. The process is quick cumbersome to select layer first to be edited and then, select the appropriate tool. Can you kindly suggest in right direction as we have this feature in photoshop which I have used the most being it more efficient to fasten workflow

Attached marked screenshot reference

element-selection.png

In your screenshot, you have the Pan Tool (looks like a hand) selected. Once the Artistic Text layer is selected, you can tap the "T" key on the keyboard or double-click inside the bounding box with the Move Tool to enter text edit mode.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

In your screenshot, you have the Pan Tool (looks like a hand) selected. Once the Artistic Text layer is selected, you can tap the "T" key on the keyboard or double-click inside the bounding box with the Move Tool to enter text edit mode.

Thank you. This helped me further finding the answer to my query. Had to select "Move" tool instead of "View" tool which enabled to have this functionality

Thanks all for your help :)