You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do you have an example of the output from this PS action? We would need to see what you were aiming for before being able to respond.

It sounds an interesting challenge!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The problem with this is it doesn't just involve a series of actions it also involves brushes and styles, well it does within the PS Action. When you buy an action like these you get an ASL file, a .ATN file a .ABR file, the .ATN file will utilise the .ABR and .ASL files brushes and styles as it proceeds through its run.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The problem with this is it doesn't just involve a series of actions it also involves brushes and styles, well it does within the PS Action. When you buy an action like these you get an ASL file, a .ATN file a .ABR file, the .ATN file will utilise the .ABR and .ASL files brushes and styles as it proceeds through its run.

Could a sufficiently skilled person reproduce this with PR Macros and Styles using the PS brushes (which I think are compatible)? Or are PS Actions and/or Styles sufficiently different from or more capable such that this is not possible?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Do you have an example of the output from this PS action? We would need to see what you were aiming for before being able to respond.

It sounds an interesting challenge!

John

I've looked but I haven't been able to find the action. When I upgraded to Win 10 I did it from the metal up and didn't reinstall all the PS stuff.

Depends on the accuracy of the embroidered text then, how realistic it should look then. - Pretty simple things can be done quickly without brushes, only some pattern style for filling.

jeans_stickerei.jpg.b01dca3b57099f23ac33e1c717d98058.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Here is an an example from PS and the Realistic Embroidery Action. The action uses the offset path feature to get the rows and font selection is quite crucial to get a complete embroidery look, I have used Arial Black here which is a bit too bold.
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-08-08-17.png

Here is a closeup of the detail this Action Attains
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-08-09-08.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I will leave this to those versed in brushes and textures. I don't think it is my scene at all!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Depends on the accuracy of the embroidered text then, how realistic it should look then. - Pretty simple things can be done quickly without brushes, only some pattern style for filling.

jeans_stickerei.jpg.b01dca3b57099f23ac33e1c717d98058.jpg

If you don't mind, could you tell me how you did that?

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Here is an an example from PS and the Realistic Embroidery Action. The action uses the offset path feature to get the rows and font selection is quite crucial to get a complete embroidery look, I have used Arial Black here which is a bit too bold.
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-08-08-17.png

Here is a closeup of the detail this Action Attains
Screen-Shot-2019-02-23-at-08-09-08.png

That's close to the action I had - I think the name was different. I take it that AP doesn't support the offset path feature you mentioned?

Unfortunately not at the moment, the closest we can emulate at the moment is to set a stroke inside or outside to a distance we want and then expand the stroke., I'm sure offset paths or something similar will arrive at some point. 

I also have an action called Machine Embroidery.

3 hours ago, casterle said:

If you don't mind, could you tell me how you did that?

It's easy, first make some style out of a simple pattern. I made a simple orange and red pattern (the orange one looks like this) ...

schraff_orange.png.32486ffc1554fdaa7c09bf163aafb7dc.png

... which are then saved as a PNG files.

Next I created a rectangle shape and placed the saved PNG inside via the gradient tool as bitmap. Then I adjusted that gradient bitmap inside the rectangle with the gradient handles to a finer diagonal pattern and saved the result as a style into the styles panel.

Next I used some text (Arial and Arial Black) and applied the pattern styles to it, further used a colored dashed line stroke as the outer text surrounding. Afterwards you can try and setup some FX effects like emboss/relief, 3D, shine ... etc. until the whole looks somehow like an embroidery. - Here's the APh file ...

... of this ...

jeans_stickerei.jpg.8d115d23c76b37132d131a704e6d8f37.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

It's easy, first make some style out of a simple pattern. I made a simple orange and red pattern (the orange one looks like this) ...

schraff_orange.png.32486ffc1554fdaa7c09bf163aafb7dc.png

... which are then saved as a PNG files.

Next I created a rectangle shape and placed the saved PNG inside via the gradient tool as bitmap. Then I adjusted that gradient bitmap inside the rectangle with the gradient handles to a finer diagonal pattern and saved the result as a style into the styles panel.

Next I used some text (Arial and Arial Black) and applied the pattern styles to it, further used a colored dashed line stroke as the outer text surrounding. Afterwards you can try and setup some FX effects like emboss/relief, 3D, shine ... etc. until the whole looks somehow like an embroidery. - Here's the APh file ...

... of this ...

jeans_stickerei.jpg.8d115d23c76b37132d131a704e6d8f37.jpg

Thank you! I'll learn a lot from this.

• 3 years later...