You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm working through the AD Workbook, and the first example seemed a little too easy for an old hand (or do I mean know-all?) like me, so I decided to try something a little more ambitious. So I did a tiger. It wasn't bad, but I thought I could do better ... so I did another one. Here it is ...

Tiger-03-1-4b.jpg.5fc7c5b68c2b22273981df7600045b13.jpg

This is reduced to about 70% of the original size. In the book, Ben The Illustrator says he often works from videos rather than still photos, so I looked out one or two videos on the internet. This image is made from two stills, as the real thing didn't look exciting enough! I made vector shapes on separate layers of: the body and nearer legs; the tail; the head; the further legs; and the stripes -- the stripes I clipped to their layers so i didn't have to fiddle about with the edges. I saved that as an AD file, then as an  AP file, which I then edited with some motion and radial blur to give a sense of movement. As I went along, I duplicated some of the layers and rasterised them, so I could add some shading and clip them. Finally, I made up a background from a couple of texture images, and added a shadow underneath the animal.

Nice way you got the blur effect from working w. 2 images from a stream. I would have liked to look over your shoulder as you worked out the method you describe.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks gdenby! What I did for the blur was, for instance, to duplicate the body layer, then delete all the nodes except the nearer back foot, so I could then blur the duplicate foot. It's a matter of thinking out the effect you want, then working out how you could do it, the trying it till you get it right. Motion blur -- radial in this case to suggest swinging movement -- and then moving and/or rotating the layer for the best effect. Patience is a definite advantage!

These are the two stills I chose (saved fro Serif MoviePlus) ...
tiger-3-4.JPG.4971e5a5a967d8b9a8d1cae1fe3630a1.JPG

tiger-3-1.JPG.cc4cb9ffbe638850e167282c135cb16d.JPG

You'll see I've rotated the top image to align it with the bottom one. And here are the first two vectors, traced around the bodies and the head ...

926922170_bodyhead.JPG.be5e2b3c6b0df1611f2a1226dbac1e02.JPG