You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save RE Searches as Presets

5 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Now that we have Regular Expressions it would be great to save them as presets so that we can call them later.

Yes, and to be specific, the saving of the replace strings as well. (And I would add that not all regular expressions can even be used in the Replace input. So that needs fixing.)

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

And I would add that not all regular expressions can even be used in the Replace input. So that needs fixing

Some specific examples of that would help, though probably best in a separate topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Just try the \s from the other post from Seneca. I mentioned it there.

And see my response there :) 

Publisher handled that properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm very excited to have regular expressions at all. My impression of the power of this program has gone up greatly from this addition.

I understand this is just the first beta of the new feature. Like, Seneca's suggestion, adding the ability to save searches/replace combos (particularly regex, though why stop there?) is what I would recommend for the next step of fleshing out this feature. I regularly run through a set of fifteen in almost every document, and having them saved in the app itself makes it easier.

It's really huge progress with RE, thank you!

It would be really great feature to save strings as preset but also possibility to use custom name of that preset in palette menu e.g. "Dash to En Dash", "Multiple space to single space" etc.

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

• 3 years later...

I'm fiddling with Regex in 2.0 and am amazed that either the ability to save searches doesn't exist or it is remarkably well hidden. I format 400+ page science texts from Word sources and doing so would be misery without a series of InDesign's GREP searches. But the key to doing that is to be able to name and save them. Without that feature, doing those documents with Regex in Publisher is nigh unto worthless. I'd have to enter complex strings many dozens of times a day. That keeps me stuck with ID. 

That said, Publisher could equal and exceed ID in features if it added not only saved searches but as another poster pointed out the ability to run a set of them in sequence. I have about half a dozen GREPs I run with each chapter of a book. That I must do over and over again, hoping I don't forget one. It'd be great if Publisher could let us name searches and run saved sets of searches.

Even better would be the ability to specify when using Place with text to run a set of replaces on the incoming text. That would remove a lot of the tedium.

That sounds like a really good candidate for scripting.  We were told - informally - that this was being worked on a year or two back.

Obviously, scripting isn't there in v2.0, but I'm hopeful that it will become available "shortly".  Possibly in v2.1?  Well, some time before v3 is launched anyway. 😀

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release