You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Had great expectations of APu but not anymore

Having tried Apu for a few days it has been come obvious that Apu cant hold a candle to PPx9  I know old habits die hard and many will see the befits of Apu but at this time I PP leaves Apu standing.

There are so many facilities that are missing from Apu that PP has such as Studio Cut out,  Photo Lab, Photo Edge Effects, the ability to insert images from Scanner, to use third party software from within PP and not being backward compatible with PP,  the list goes on.

Maybe in time APu may fill my needs, but right and judging by forum comments this looks unlikely.

It’s like buying a new car and finding there is no Air conditioning, no Cruise control, no power steering, no Sat Nav, no spare wheel etc. and your old car did

If the software works for you then it’s worth paying the price but if it does not even if it was free you have to pass.   I will take another look at Apu in a few months and see if there are any improvements needless to say very disappointed after such high expectations.

• Staff

Hi iscom,
I understand your frustration but PagePlus was in development for several years. Affinity Publisher is being coded from scratch. It can't match the functionality/features of programs with years of development under their belt. Hopefully with more time we will also get there.

25 minutes ago, iscom said:

Having tried Apu for a few days it has been come obvious that Apu cant hold a candle to PPx9  I know old habits die hard and many will see the befits of Apu but at this time I PP leaves Apu standing.

There are so many facilities that are missing from Apu that PP has such as Studio Cut out,  Photo Lab, Photo Edge Effects, the ability to insert images from Scanner, to use third party software from within PP and not being backward compatible with PP,  the list goes on.

Maybe in time APu may fill my needs, but right and judging by forum comments this looks unlikely.

It’s like buying a new car and finding there is no Air conditioning, no Cruise control, no power steering, no Sat Nav, no spare wheel etc. and your old car did

If the software works for you then it’s worth paying the price but if it does not even if it was free you have to pass.   I will take another look at Apu in a few months and see if there are any improvements needless to say very disappointed after such high expectations.

Such a general all around sweep is neither useful nor fair. Instead of waiting and hoping, I propose to participate actively in the forums. They are very close to the developers here. That is not a matter of course 9_9

3 hours ago, iscom said:

Having tried Apu for a few days

I will take another look at Apu in a few months and see if there are any improvements needless to say very disappointed after such high expectations.

If I may, a few excerpts from your comment.   It seems a wee bit hasty to confine Publisher to the ash can of history when you have only given it a few days.    And by the statement that "judging by forum comments" others are unhappy, I can only mildly suggest that you might have been a wee bit selective about the comments to which you refer.   There are so many people who have been contributing on a daily basis to these Publisher forums since the first Beta was announced back in August 2018, who have found it to be really exciting.  And they have provided countless very helpful solutions to potential confusions that those of us who were not as familiar with the Affinity applications may have had.  As for me, I compiled a 123-page personal "Publisher Help" document early on, based on "how to" solutions I found in the forums.  Naturally not all of us are wedded to a particular previous software.   Many are disgusted former users of InDesign.   Many apparently were happy users of Page Plus.   As for me, I am just glad that there were brilliant young people, back in the days of stone tablets, who thought that parchment might be more portable.   Or that handwriting might be slower than the printing press.  Or that MS-DOS could stand some improvement.   And that there was a Steve Jobs who thought the same thing.   And that Affinity recognizes that those of us with MACs and iPads may want something exciting to work with too.   I may be a dinosaur, but I am finding Publisher a pure delight to work with, even in its Beta, and am already reaping the benefits of its close integration with Photo and Designer.

It is just my opinion, but I think the Affinity developers are not only quite a bit along the right track, and not only incredibly brilliant but also -- and even more important in this strange new world -- incredibly helpful, consistently knowledgeable, and unfailingly courteous.    Can't wait to purchase Publisher!!     

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I read jmwellborn comments with great interest nowhere did I say or imply others “where unhappy “ on the contrary many are happy with Apu    my comment “judging by forum comments this looks unlikely” was meaning the facilities I would like would not be available on Apu

The following statement confirms what I am saying .”. ‘ , and am already reaping the benefits of its close integration with Photo and Designer.. .”   there lies the problem your using two other programs to achieve what PP does in one. Ok the two other programs maybe a lot more advanced but it's two programs I don’t need .

I would agree the staff and many of the forum members have and are very helpful and what little I have learnt has come from the forum.

I have been using PP since PP2 and bought each upgrade’s over the years and would have if there was a PPX20.

I am a great believer you should be able to use any good software within 3 days of use,  but if it not doing what you want it to do then you look other programs that will. OK I will try and look in the form every so often to see what improvements and updates are available. In the mean time will continue using PPX9

On 2/22/2019 at 9:56 PM, iscom said:

any good software within 3 days of use,

That is very relative.... Any good simple software would allow to do that. Any good complex, professional software would require always a lot more learning, logically.  ( IMO )

Oh, and I said it in other threads, but Publisher beta has been already quite useful to me (I'm not professional in book editing / publishing, by any means, though ) as it helped in a very critical moment of a project, working with a pro of that area which had certain issue with another brand's app of the kind. (we only used it for a fix, though)

Now that I think... is a very good example that there's a different feeling/perception than which you get from the app (or the forum?), in some of us... Look, I had have (I recon) zero interest in APub. Simply put, is not my area, although should be, as a ton of job offers require InDesign/Quark knowledge yes or yes... but u know, am happy for now as a freelancer, and can definitely pick my gigs.  Thing is, I have not even been following the (INTENSE) activity in the forums around APub. I had not even opened it ONCE till some day ago. I only used very very occasionally Quark and Page Maker in the very old days. Well... I could open it that first time, and fix a somewhat complex issue (or wasn't, but had my colleague in that project stuck... ), in a first go, no hesitation, just open the thing, try some things, and Bob's your uncle. Of course, surely I was terribly lucky, lol. I know much better though about apps of the kind of AD and AP, bread and butter for decades. I find in these apps  a great ease of use combined with a lot of power/depth . Maybe people specially coming from Adobe (like me, but also had to deal with much harder UIs) or from the Serif's legacy apps, are too much looking to do things the exact same way than in the other UIs. IMO, this way one can't really enjoy a new app. (or a new relationship, or a new car,... ;)  )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.