You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.249 does not work on Windows 7 sp1 64-bit

• Staff

Hello libfree,

Can you please go to %AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher and backup the 1.0 (Beta) folder somewhere.

After this please hold down the CTRL key to reset the application, tick all the boxes and click OK and then let me know if you still get a crash.

Thanks,

Jon

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Working fine here.
Windows 7 SP1 x64
Installed 249 over 238 - no problems.
Opened 249 and worked with it for awhile - no problems.

Have you checked/updated your C++ runtime as suggested above?
I checked mine and it is: Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable (x64) - 14.15.26706
This is in the Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall or change a program

What version does yours say?

It crashes just after displaying "Loading Fonts..." on the splash screen.  Does this help?  If not, could additional diagnostics be added to the splash info (if only temporarily), so we can report more exactly where it's got to when it crashes?  (PS - I do have 464 items in "Fonts".)

Could it be related to the fonts?
In another thread it was mentioned that "we are loading fonts differently now (in 249)" ... or something like that ... so I wonder if 249 is having an issue with some of your fonts.

The number of fonts does not appear to be an issue.
I currently have 2,538 items in my Fonts folder.
These are all OS fonts or more modern OTF fonts.
Not any really old or badly converted fonts.
Have you checked your fonts with any font integrity/quality tools?
If you un-install or disable any questionable fonts, does that help?

There is a Crash Report folder here:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports
The files there with a .dmp extension (assumes means dump) are what they need to review.
So if you can attach that here they can take a look.

SFC does not report any issues with the fonts.  Interestingly (?) there are no .dmp files in that folder (or sub-folders), so perhaps it didn't get that far.  None of the fonts show zero size.  They are a mixture of OpenType, TrueType, and Raster fonts.

• Staff

Hi Keith/libfree,

It's a shame it seems to be falling over before we are even generating the crash dumps.

I do agree with the suggestions here that this could very well be font related, we do blacklist a font if it fails to load to prevent this but it could be encountering multiple bad fonts, or there could be another issue here.

At the moment we are a little limited in ways to investigate this, can I ask if either of you are familiar with Windows Event Viewer if you can look in application logs and see if there are any errors in there? Asides from that potentially backing up fonts and clearing them out to test this would be useful, but I appreciate that's quite a bit to ask.

I'll update this if I get any further information on ways to investigate the exact cause of this.

• Staff

Thanks libfree that was very useful,

Your .NET Framework is quite out of date which will be the cause of the crash. If you install this net framework it should resolve your issue.

I have noticed some behaviour with our installer that i'm investigating from this, I'm not sure how you are on such a low framework when our installer installs a later version by default, so am investigating this.

Thanks Jon,
However there is one thing that I do not understand, that's why the error message concerns the Framework 4.0.30319 while the Framework 4.6.2 is installed on my PC.
Note also that on the error message, the version concerned seems to be this: <Data> 4.6.1590.0 </ Data>. Strange no?

2019-02-25_16-53-40.jpg

• Staff

Ah, that figures as we install 4.6.2 so I was quite confused as to why Windows Error Reporter was giving a 4.0.3 version number (and how you got the software installed without us installing 4.6.2), and was looking into why that might have happened.

I'm honestly not sure why Windows Error Reporter gave a 4.0.3 .NET version in the error report. As it does look like 4.6.2 is rightly installed. I'll pass this on but I suspect it's an issue that may lie with Windows side of things.

However, it is noted that this is the only version of Affinity Publisher with which I have this problem.
As I said in my first message version 1.7.0.238 installs perfectly. But I do not know the differences of the installer of 249 and 238.

Hi Jon, thanks for that.  My event log also reports an issue with Framework v4.0.30319, although I too have v4.6.2 (4.6.01590) installed.  However I notice that something has re-installed the older versions SINCE 4.6.2 was installed.  (see screenshot below).

The two key entries appear to be:

- EventData

Application: Publisher.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 000007FEEA78BC2A (000007FEEA780000) with exit code 80131506. 

- EventData

Publisher.exe
   5c6ed0ab
   clr.dll
   5787ef69
   c0000005
   000000000000bc2a
   2f5c
   01d4cbb461f68a36
   C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher Public Beta\Publisher.exe
   C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
   a6406946-37a7-11e9-9d1d-f48c504fbae5

I will also try installing 4.7.2, and let you know.

1818961173_AfPublisherErrorDotNetVersions.thumb.JPG.7b82fd37490d6a3fa03a3c781ffdf4db.JPG

@AdamW

It may be helpful to add this to the 249 download page/post requirements.
Let people know they need to have .NET 4.7.2 or APub will not start.
And if they need it they can download .NET 4.7.2 here:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework-runtime/net472

Have seen what looks like 4-5 posts now from users with 249 start-up issues.
So you know that means many more out there.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.