You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap Issue

It looks like there is some major discrepancy when it comes to using the text wrap features. As you can see, there is supposed to be .2" of space on the left, and there is none. When I went back to try again and change it, it erased all of my settings, but the left side worked while adding space to the bottom (which was unlocked and still at 0"). When I tried to compensate for that and decrease space at the bottom (by making it a negative value), it did nothing to the bottom but changed the top instead.

All of that to say, the text wrap menu needs some help and is very inconsistent.

Also, I'm not sure if it''s the beta or this document (which is by no means huge), but for some reason, its is moving very slowly and it takes 5-10 minutes to do simple tasks because of the lag.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 7.01.27 AM.png

Same problems here - completely inconsistent and unreliable results with text wrap. I posted about it in an existing thread here:

It's definitely a bug - and a big one, that makes it pretty much impossible to use afpub right now for things like newsletters. I *know* we're not supposed to use beta software for "real" things but  most of us don't have time to beta-test in spare time on pretend things. ;) I was hoping to transition from ID for a couple of newsletters I do on a regular basis, but can't quite do it until this issue is fixed. I need my hair. :D

17 hours ago, PaddyD said:

… a big one, that makes it pretty much impossible to use afpub right now for things like newsletters …

Well, that’s not entirely true, of course. You can always use a transparent rectangle beneath your image that serves as a spacing element. Set Distance to Text to zero in order to ensure upwards compatibility. You certainly don’t want your document get messed up when this bug is fixed in the future … ;)

Alex :)

Spacer.thumb.png.6da4eef277ebcba52181a480ae7217b7.png

2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Well, that’s not entirely true, of course. You can always use a transparent rectangle beneath your image that serves as a spacing element. Set Distance to Text to zero in order to ensure upwards compatibility. You certainly don’t want your document get messed up when this bug is fixed in the future … ;)

Alex :)

Spacer.thumb.png.6da4eef277ebcba52181a480ae7217b7.png

Ah - good idea. Hadn't thought of that! I was on a bit of a deadline, so ended up just using InDesign again, but going forward, I could definitely do that. But here's hoping they fix it so we don't have to get creative about workarounds. ;) Out of curiosity - I only noticed this bug with the latest version - was it there before? I never did attempt a complete document with it until now though...so not sure what I did and didn't try with older versions.

33 minutes ago, PaddyD said:

Ah - good idea. Hadn't thought of that! I was on a bit of a deadline, so ended up just using InDesign again, but going forward, I could definitely do that. But here's hoping they fix it so we don't have to get creative about workarounds. ;) Out of curiosity - I only noticed this bug with the latest version - was it there before? I never did attempt a complete document with it until now though...so not sure what I did and didn't try with older versions.

I haven’t tried text wrap with the latest version, but placed 66 images into a document with v. 227 and successfully used text wrap for them all without any problems.   I will try the latest version today.   I am using MAC Sierra.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Correction.   Imported the document from v. 227 to v. 238.   No problems with either version.  Now I need to try v. 249.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Not a problem as far as I can tell  in v. 249.  I opened both a document previously used in v. 227 and 238 and then a new one in v. 249.   It appears to me that while the two previous Beta versions had the View>Studio>Text Frame box unchecked for Ignore Text Wraps, the new Beta v. 249 has that box checked as the default.    I tried a sample using both checked and unchecked.   I think that may possibly be the solution?

7 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

For me, this issue started popping up when I opened a document created in the last beta in a newer one ... might have to do with file compatibility in between the betas?

Here is what I did.  

1877122464_ScreenShot2019-02-23at2_11_19PM.thumb.png.b04d89accd9e4e2ebc35f628ef2b4137.png  

I've been playing with Text Wrap for awhile and here's what I've encountered on my Mac running Publisher beta 249. I can get the margin sizes to do absolutely nothing, as mentioned by RenWaller, and I can get them to move away from an image as one would expect (mostly). It appears to me that Affinity has an odd implementation of selection buttons on some dialogue boxes. When I click on a selection box in Text Wrap a highlight border in that box turns blue. Oddly, if I click on another selection box it turns blue as well. It appears to me that the selection options are working more like check boxes (multiple items can be selected ) and not like a radio button (one and only one option is selected) as I would expect to happen.

So, to get the boxes to work for me, I check then uncheck the various Text Wrap options until I think everything is clear, and then select the options that I want. This has worked so far. Obviously not a long term solution : )

rusty - Macintosh: macOS Big Sur 11.1. Memory 16 GB

I'd like to add that in Beta 249, there's another text wrapping issue.  When I click on one of the choices in the dialog box, the outline around "None" stays on. See screen capture below.  No wrapping occurs.

Text Wrap 2019-03-03 07-16-23.png

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, fde101 said:

Just to make sure it was checked, did you verify that the option to ignore text wrap is turned off for the text frame?

Hi fde101,
Thanks for coming to help.

Indeed I did.
Just to save working through all the things I have done:
I tried different wrap options.
I went to the tutorial and made sure I wasn't missing anything.
I verified "ignore text wrap" was turned off.
I quit and re-started AP
I created a new text box and typed in fresh text.
I re-saved the document, closed it and re-opened it.

...I didn't at any point try it with "ignore text wrap" turned on... so that might be worth a shot since it's ignoring text wrap when it's off...

ok, one more thing to verify - your screenshot appears to show the text wrap options with the text box selected; am I correct in assuming that you do in fact have them set on the image you are trying to wrap around, as those are the settings that would actually be relevant here (I believe the wrap settings on the text box would be in effect for text in other text boxes that the selected one overlapped with, not for the text which is in the selected text box)?

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

ok, one more thing to verify - your screenshot appears to show the text wrap options with the text box selected; am I correct in assuming that you do in fact have them set on the image you are trying to wrap around, as those are the settings that would actually be relevant here (I believe the wrap settings on the text box would be in effect for text in other text boxes that the selected one overlapped with, not for the text which is in the selected text box)?

Looks to me as though you have hit the  nail on the head.   The image must be highlighted, not the text frame in which the image is to be wrapped.  Good sleuthing!!!!

On 3/3/2019 at 11:51 PM, cubesquareredux said:

It's even stranger than that:

image.png.153b8aa0096eec9cf0a0ecb2cb7cff60.png

Publisher ß 249 on MacOS 10.13.6

Same thing happens with ß 257 on MacOS 10.13.6.

And by the way, should the dialog box not have a "Cancel" option that undoes any change in dialog settings?

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

10 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

And by the way, should the dialog box not have a "Cancel" option that undoes any change in dialog settings?

No, it's not really a dialog box, but more like a palette in disguise.  You can leave it open and switch objects and do other work and such behind it.

10 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

Not seeing this on 10.12.6.

22 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

If you click on every one of those boxes so that they are no longer highlighted, then close out the text wrap panel, then open it again, you may have only the first wrap style “None” highlighted.  If so, click on that so that it is cleared, then set your L-R, T-B distances, then click on only one of the options, such as “Tight” or “Edge.”    If you don’t like the effect, then click on the “None” box, which should cancel the setting.    I am also on MAC OS 10.12.6.    Text wrap is definitely working for me.  

58 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Text wrap is definitely working for me.  

Yes, wrap works again in ß 257. Thanks to the developers for restoring it.

And yet the dialog should not allow mutually exclusive choices to be selected or highlighted simultaneously. If you play with the various options available, you may find that highlighting generally does not work as it should.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

If you don’t like the effect, then click on the “None” box, which should cancel the setting.

But if the previous setting was not "None," then clicking on "None" is not the same as "Cancel."

(There is, of course, "Undo.")

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.