You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've uploaded the latest beta (333) now, if you want to give it a try (it's not on auto-update yet).

Mark,
I've tested it, Vivenza2 this is still not working. Sorry. 
But "color effects" looks ok now, at least with the files I tested! (Also with Adobe RGB)

On 4/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, digit42 said:

For example on a regular basis I use Topaz' AI clear in Studio to remove noise and sharpen images (letting the noise alone). The results are quite amazing. I don't know of any other tool producing such quality results.

DxO PhotoLab achieves the same results in terms of noise reduction and subtle sharpening, has a much more attractive interface and is much faster to process images than any Topaz software. Still PhotoLab has the same issues with roundtripping as the other plugins though. Affinity Photo should really fix its plugin issues once and for all. Weak plugin support is one of the biggest differentiators from Photoshop. Photoshop has ACR for RAW import which is head and shoulders above Affinity Photo's RAW processing. All the more reason for Affinity Photo to play well with other applications and plugins.

In terms of colour, if a photographer wants to use a collaborative workflow between applications and plugins, s/he's really best served by restricting him or herself to sRGB. Yes, there's some missing colour range (not visible on most monitors or even most printers' works) but at least the colours are consistent.

Altae wrote:

I agree that it's very disappointing that these issues still have not been fixed. But there is a workaround: Export the image as 16 bit Tif in the desired color space, use the standalone version of the plugin (the Nik tools have them and most Topaz plugins too), process the image as desired and export again to 16 bit Tif. After this you can continue in Affinity Photo. Certainly not very convenient but it works.

Great workaround. Thanks for that.

Hi @Mark Ingram

thank you for working on the color problem! The latest beta fixed that bug in the plugins that I use most often.

The colors look OK now in Topaz Labs plugins (tested with ProPhoto RGB images). When testing some more plugins I found that some are showing correct colors now while in some the colors still are looking weird.

The color bug is fixed in those plugins as of Affinity Photo 1.7 beta 333:

• Topaz Studio 1.14.4
  • Topaz Denoise AI 1.0.3
  • Topaz Sharpen AI 1.1.3
  • Nik Color Efex Pro 4
  • Nik Analog Efex Pro 2
  • Nik HDR Efex Pro 2

Other plugins that still display wrong colors when invoked from Affinity Photo 1.7.333 are:

• Nik Dfine 2
  • Nik Viveza 2
  • Nik Sharpener Pro 3
  • Alien Skin Bokeh 2
  • Neat Image 8.3.7

35 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I tried Viveza 2 as part of my tests, and it worked fine. I'll give it another check tomorrow to make sure, but, if the plugin supports it, it should just work now (there is nothing specific about individual plugins when configuring the ICC profile).

Mark,

When I use test-shots of my old D70s than it also works, but it does not work with the shots taken with D700 and D750 camera's.
Hope to get this working. :-) 

Many people (also in this thread) don't seem to realize that the fact that you don't notice a colour management issue depends on many things, including the gamut of your monitor and your perception of colours (and I assume that everybody here calibrate/profile their monitors and use colour-managed programs set up correctly).

In order to take the subjectivity out of the equation I suggested testing the Affinity Photo plug-in support with specially prepared files, which should give everybody a visual cue whether the embedded ICC profile is transferred from the host application to the plug-in or not.

Why matters

2 hours ago, WMax70 said:

Mark,

When I use test-shots of my old D70s than it also works, but it does not work with the shots taken with D700 and D750 camera's.
Hope to get this working. :-) 

OK, in that case I doubt it's anything to do with the PS plugin ICC profile support I've added. I imagine you may have a monitor profile configured (which isn't sRGB), is this the case? If so, we convert colours from document to screen (in Affinity Photo), and it may be that the plugins only convert from document to sRGB. I'd have to check that when I'm back at my desk.

1 hour ago, sankos said:

Many people (also in this thread) don't seem to realize that the fact that you don't notice a colour management issue depends on many things, including the gamut of your monitor and your perception of colours (and I assume that everybody here calibrate/profile their monitors and use colour-managed programs set up correctly).

In order to take the subjectivity out of the equation I suggested testing the Affinity Photo plug-in support with specially prepared files, which should give everybody a visual cue whether the embedded ICC profile is transferred from the host application to the plug-in or not.

Sankos,
Well, I tested you preferred reference images, and the specific plugins behave the same like many reported already.
So I only can conclude they were right.

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

OK, in that case I doubt it's anything to do with the PS plugin ICC profile support I've added. I imagine you may have a monitor profile configured (which isn't sRGB), is this the case? If so, we convert colours from document to screen (in Affinity Photo), and it may be that the plugins only convert from document to sRGB. I'd have to check that when I'm back at my desk.

The monitor is calibrated with Xrite i1-Display against the D65 profile. 
My monitor follows sRGB. (end of the month it will be replaced by a Benq SW271 Adobe RGB monitor, because I deliver monthly photos for magazines in CMYK. sRGB cannot show all CMYK colors.)

I use Nikon - NXD to create the tiff file which I open in Affinity, using the AdobeRGB color format.
But also the sRGB files from the D700 and D750 are not working properly.
I can send you a raw file and/or the tiff file for testing if you like.

@Mark

For this test, my image is developed in Affinity Photo with Prostar (same gamut as ProPhoto and TRC L*) as output color space, then reloaded in persona module for applying filters. In this case, is the profile embedded in the "afphoto" file when he is saved ?

You say that you have tested viveza 2 with an ok result, how explain my second screencopy ?

My two monitors are wide gamut and correctly calibrated in L*.

My usual wokflow is: development in Capture One Pro then passage in PS for corrections and filters that C1 can't do. In this cases, all works correctly.

@WMax70 / @laurentia, I was misspoken yesterday, Viveza 2 wasn't one of the ones I tried yesterday (as we don't list this as a "Working" plugin in Preferences). I have tried it this morning though, and can confirm that the plugin does not render in the correct colour space. I checked in Photoshop, and it does work OK there. I would need to speak to DxO about their implementation, and find out why 2 of their plugins work (Analog Efex Pro 2 and Colour Efex Pro 4) but the others don't. Please note, both of the plugins which we list as "Working" do use the correct ICC profile as expected.

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

@WMax70 / @laurentia, I was misspoken yesterday, Viveza 2 wasn't one of the ones I tried yesterday (as we don't list this as a "Working" plugin in Preferences). I have tried it this morning though, and can confirm that the plugin does not render in the correct colour space. I checked in Photoshop, and it does work OK there. I would need to speak to DxO about their implementation, and find out why 2 of their plugins work (Analog Efex Pro 2 and Colour Efex Pro 4) but the others don't. Please note, both of the plugins which we list as "Working" do use the correct ICC profile as expected.

I have already reposted the current progress here.

https://feedback.dxo.com/t/maybe-improved-nik-support-in-affinity-incoming/7907

But speaking developer to developer would speed up things.

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've contacted DxO via their support channels. I'll update the thread when I know more.

I have also written to a resposive forum moderator to shortcut you to the NIK department, so hopefully things will go the right way. At least we will now, which side has work to do :-)

I tried DxO Viveza in the new beta 333 on a histological image and it looked fine. 

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi Mark and thanks,

DxO support is usually very responsive, and as a developer, it should make things easier.
I'm currently rebuilding a new PC,  I will not be able to test before 2 or 3 days ... (Sorry, I do not only that)

22 hours ago, laurentia said:

@Asser82,

a printscreen copy is always without profile. You have to assign one profil at openning.

Yes, you need to assign your monitor's profile to a screenshot, and then preferably convert it to sRGB if you want to share it with others.

Why matters

53 minutes ago, sankos said:

Yes, you need to assign your monitor's profile to a screenshot, and then preferably convert it to sRGB if you want to share it with others.

It's depending on the destination. For the web yes, otherwise certainly not.

I also tried my Viveza (original pre-Google NIK version) and also see the desaturated colors.  I'm not sure why this is considered a profile problem.  As suggested elsewhere, if you zoom in the image in Viveza to at least 33%, the colors appear correct.  If the profile were wrong, would it do that?  It strikes me as a memory problem or something similar.

I found out today, that the colors in Nik Viveza are only wrong (desaturated) when the view is set to "fit to window". If you only zoom in one click the colors are ok (see screenshots):

Viveza_2_1.jpg

Viveza_2_2.jpg