You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 hours ago, laurentia said:

With which software did you import into AF on the second screenshot? Do you own CNX-D from Nikon?

@Laurentia.

Attached the screenshot from CNX-D
Source Raw photo was shot in sRGB color space.

RawImport_CNX-D.JPG

Hi WMax70,

your raw is not shot in sRGB. In the camera, the color space setting only applies to photos shot in jpeg.
In his software, Nikon has taken the bad habit of adapting the workspace to the profile defined in the camera! In the preferences of NX-D, there is a box that must be checked for the space defined is well used, as in the screenshot below.
If you have ProPhotoRGB.icm on your system, you can try to put it in workspace and develop your image with it.
Is your monitor wide gamut?
Is blue lighting on the scene a LED light?

On my screenshot, I put melissa which is the LR workspace.

espace cnx-d-2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I just signed up here because I saw this thread.

The color problem with plugins (in my case mostly with Topaz Studio) is really annoying. I was very disappointed to see that this wasn't fix even in the current beta.

It forces me to produce lots of intermediate images just to apply an effect in Topaz Studio, then go back to Affinity an open the intermediate file for further edits.

Affinity Photo is a great piece of software but this bug is driving me crazy!

I really hope that Serif is able to get this fixed in one of the next betas or at least in the final release version.

The only "solution" I see is to refrain from using plugins and do everything using native Affinity Photo tools.

Even if Serif would fix color issues, plugins would still remain pretty much unusable without storing plugin data in Photoshop - like smart object layers.

It certainly sucks, but it is not the end of the world.

- Most of the time the same edits can be achieved with AP-native tools, it just takes more time. 

Even if most of the things you can do using a plugin can be achieved with AP's own tools there still are some things that can be done faster with the help of plugins. Additionally some plugins achieve superior results and some results even cannot (yet) be achieved using standard tools.

For example on a regular basis I use Topaz' AI clear in Studio to remove noise and sharpen images (letting the noise alone). The results are quite amazing. I don't know of any other tool producing such quality results.

Sure you have a noise reduction in AP but I still prefer the superior results of the plugin. And there are other adjustments in Topaz Studio that have no equivalent in AP.

Anyway, people are diverse. Some prefer to do all the work in one program and avoid leaving it, which is perfectly fine. Others prefer to achieve quick results using plugins, and others again wish to achieve results they cannot produce with native tools of the program (or don't know how to). But that's not the topic of this thread. This is about fixing a problem which should not be too hard, I think. It's just an issue of sending correct color information to a third party tool.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:06 AM, digit42 said:

I was very disappointed to see that this wasn't fix even in the current beta.
It forces me to produce lots of intermediate images just to apply an effect in Topaz Studio, then go back to Affinity an open the intermediate file for further edits.

The workaround is to choose Document-> Convert Format/ICC Profile, then convert the ICC Profile to sRGB IEC IEC61966-2.1, call Studio, do your work and then when you go back to Affinity convert back to your original ICC Profile using the same dialog.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

1 hour ago, AiDon said:

The workaround is to choose Document-> Convert Format/ICC Profile, then convert the ICC Profile to sRGB IEC IEC61966-2.1, call Studio, do your work and then when you go back to Affinity convert back to your original ICC Profile using the same dialog.

Surely not ! This will be a poor and dirty solution. Converting to sRGB will truncate the colors and return to the original space will never give back the lost colors!

The right solution is to transmit the correct color informations.

10 hours ago, laurentia said:

Surely not ! This will be a poor and dirty solution. Converting to sRGB will truncate the colors and return to the original space will never give back the lost colors!

The right solution is to transmit the correct color informations.

You are right, and - if I'm not completely wrong - it should not be too hard to accomplish this. It's just about sending color profile information to the plugin the right way.

It might well be just an API parameter not set quite the right way, so that fixing this problem would need just a little tweak of the source code.

57 minutes ago, digit42 said:

You are right, and - if I'm not completely wrong - it should not be too hard to accomplish this. It's just about sending color profile information to the plugin the right way.

It might well be just an API parameter not set quite the right way, so that fixing this problem would need just a little tweak of the source code.

Yes, but that takes already years at Affinity. That is why I still use adobe beside Affinity. 

If Affinity want to grow seriously, and want to have user moving from Adobe to Affinity, because many people want to switch, decent plug-in support accepting Adobe plugins should be a focus area.

If I was product manager at Affinity I would go for this.

I bet this will increase the nr of licenses seriously and also makes it more interesting for 3th party developers to develop plug ins for Affinity too.

This will turn around in even more users. 

Next point is the x1 color card adoption. 

Both are mainly realted to color handling which makes the program professional or not. 

I have a conspiracy theory:

Adobe got a patent for plugins that work, preserve the colors and could store their state in smart object layers that may be retouched multiple times.

Serif worked around the patent: they also allow plugins, but those plugins don't actually work - the whole thing is just messed up. Problem solved!

3 hours ago, makspyat said:

Adobe got a patent for plugins that work, preserve the colors and could store their state in smart object layers that may be retouched multiple times.

Serif worked around the patent: they also allow plugins, but those plugins don't actually work - the whole thing is just messed up. Problem solved!

MakSpyat,

I agree that it is frustrated and this lack of working wioth plug-ins does not a make Affinity the software to go instead of Adobe.
However, do not under estimate that NXD is also able to do almost the same Vivenza2 does.
Once done, you can start Affinity from NXD. From that moment colors are handled or, also the raw convertor doe not mess-up and Affinity does a great job.
Yes, the plug-in are still a very weak point at Affinity.
Yes I would accept to pay more for Affinity if this would work perfect.

image.thumb.png.7d8f0df7632f6759d5b539753c3a0565.png

13 hours ago, makspyat said:

It's a joke, isn't it ? :D

1 hour ago, laurentia said:

It's a joke, isn't it ? :D

I guess so, but I also wanted to point out that there are ways to get superb color and local control results with affinity. 

And yes, the local adjustments almost viveza are in NXD! 

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, laurentia said:

Unfortunately, the problem still has no solution in the new beta 331.
Regrettably, I will end up giving up Affinity Photo. As it stands, I still can not give up Photoshop ...

Pb beta 331-1.jpg

34 minutes ago, laurentia said:

Regrettably, I will end up giving up Affinity Photo. As it stands, I still can not give up Photoshop ...

I just can say that I completely understand you.
I also gave up Affinity wrt to the Nik tools. I really do not understand why Affinity keeps ignoring this issue. They would collect so many more people if they would support those.
In my opinion they really underestimate this wish. 

However, because I anyway dislike the RAW importer from Affinity up to now I use Nikon Capture NX-D upfront any Affinity edit.
Colors are much to saturated, blue purple is handled very bad with the raw import (see my other posts) and lens support is very slow. 
I have to ommit, Adobe will stay as reference here, but also adobe is not reaching the C-NXD quality.

So what I did:
I start my raw images in Nikon Capture NXD. 
Inhere you have the option to do local adjustment which is build in (Vivenza kind)

image.png.dcda1f748167deee2d93f77ecfdf2284.png

Here after I import my image as tiff to affinity.
Or if I need more Nik tools adjustments I use the standalone versions.
Once done I read the tiff into Affinity. 

Other option is to export to Vivenza2 or another Nik tool from Capture NX-D.
Once done, pick-up the tiff file and import it into Affinity for further editing.

I agree, the complete flow is much better in Adobe, but I also prefer starting Capture-NX-D upftont Adobe. Specially because I use an older (non-cloud based) Adobe Photoshop.
This tool understands my new cameras & settings where Adobe stopped any support.
And I get much better results now that direct raw import in Affinity.

22 minutes ago, laurentia said:

Hi WMax70,
I use Capture One Pro as a raw converter ...
I use the Nik Collection for special effects like cross processing and others from PS, but I will have liked to do it from AF Photo if only it could work properly ...

Agree, would bring serious added value, I really don't know why it isn't seen by Affinity developers.

I agree that it's very disappointing that these issues still have not been fixed. But there is a workaround: Export the image as 16 bit Tif in the desired color space, use the standalone version of the plugin (the Nik tools have them and most Topaz plugins too), process the image as desired and export again to 16 bit Tif. After this you can continue in Affinity Photo. Certainly not very convenient but it works.

Dirty? Why? You don't lose anything. It's inconvenient, yes I already wrote that. But it works perfectly and the color space stays consistent throughout the whole processing chain. And to be honest it also does not take up too much extra time because starting the plugin from within Affinity, making the desired adjustments and handing the result back to Affinity also takes up some time. But I agree, Serif should definitely fix this issue, in fact they claim their software is compatible to Photoshop plugins when in reality this compatibility is somewhat crippled as we can see in this thread.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, laurentia said:

I've just finished implementing ICC profile support in plugins, so check out the next beta and let me know how you get on...

This is similar to File/New From Clipboard (after Alt-PrtScn), which creates a lighter document.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.