You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.249

12 minutes ago, Seneca said:

What you are asking for here belongs to the scripting domain rather than RE.

(((We just want to have (use) the previous expressions for field input in the search/replace field. No scripting engine would be needed (in the first step).)))

• Staff
5 minutes ago, robinp said:

We are experiencing dramatic performance problems since the update.

Oh dear,

from the opening post

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. 

Please make a new thread and follow these instructions how to describe the problem in your post

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 minutes ago, robinp said:

Thanks, I have already.

So you have, thanks. We will deal with it in order, but this is a beta version. If you want to make our investigations easier, please provide as much of the requested information as possible, and potrntially request a dropbox link to provide a sample file.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The following is not a bug report. It is an appreciation.

I have to say that the quality of Affinity's beta software is better in many respects than "finished" software sold by certain other companies.

Three simple examples (just FYI, I'm on a Mac using OS 10.13.6):

1. It may be that I am a lousy beta-tester – perhaps I am not pushing these betas to their limit – but I swear that not one of them has ever "hung" or "crashed" on me, not even once! I have no idea how you people do it but I have to admit to a certain amount of amazement.

2. When I use Affinity's betas to open a file that was created in an older non-beta version, I get a sensible dialog with careful and clear options. Small details like this can be extremely important!

3. Tiny details are fixed in the betas that are not even detailed in the release notes. For example in Designer, text boxes "usually" have 8 re-sizing handles, but two of them on mid-points can vanish if your zoom is set "too low." In previous betas, the work-around was to zoom in, at which point the "missing" handles would re-appear. In recent betas, you can re-size the text box even if you can't see the "missing" handles. I presume the latter (new) behaviour is intended and I, for one, certainly notice and appreciate it!

These are just three examples. I could go on but … in short … THANKS FOR MAKING GREAT SOFTWARE!

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

18 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

you can re-size the text box even if you can't see the "missing" handles. I presume the latter (new) behaviour

Is this really new? And you mean it resizes only the width/height of the box? – No, not only of text boxes.

• Staff

Hi Oval,
Yes, this was improved. The middle handles don't need to be visible anymore for you to adjust the width or height of the boxes as long as there's enough space between the corners handles for you to place the cursor in the middle (it should then change to reflect you can adjust the width/height). In the current retail you can only adjust the width and height when the middle handles are visible over the bounding box.