You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.249

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher build 249 is now available as a manual download from the link above and via auto-update.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

Personas
- Renamed Layout Persona -> Publisher Persona and Vector Persona -> Designer Persona

Regular Expressions for Find and Replace
- We have added the facility to Find and Replace using perl type (or ‘ECMAScript with perl extensions’) regular expressions
-- The options to turn the feature on are found on the Find and Replace panel search options drop menu
-- 'Regular Expression' - Find / Replace will be performed using the "C" or "POSIX" locale
-- 'Locale Aware Regular Expression' - Find / Replace will be performed using the locale inferred from the text being searched and locale aware collation is implied
--- Please note that a 'Locale Aware Regular Expression' has to treat each block of text with a different language setting in isolation

Hyperlinks
- Stacks of hyperlink fixes
- Hyperlink anchor placeholder glyphs now look like anchors

Translation
- Stacks of Translation layout fixes. Please note that most strings lacking a translation from English will not have been updated yet.

- If you would like to report translation issues we would be grateful if you could report them in this thread.

Other Fixes and Updates

New Documents / Document / Spread Setup
- Fixed crash dragging Artboard from Designer to Publisher
- Fixed consistency issues with Margins / Bleed entry layout
- Fix to prevent overlapping when bleed area is set large

Tools
- Fixed lag when attempting to <Ctrl> copy objects
- Added buttons to Text Context Bar to update Text Style, plus other tweaks
- Fixed Text Frame vertical alignment context toolbar icon to reflect current frame

Panels
- Secondary page highlight on Pages Panel now reflects current spread rather than visible spread
- Support drag drop afassets / afstyles files to import them as a category
- (Mac) Fields Panel Text Edit is no longer dark on dark
- (Mac) Fixed for Text Frame Panel Insets steppers not always responding
- (Win) Fixed difficulties renaming a layer in Layer Panel
- (Win) Fix issue deleting mask / adjustment in Layer Panel
- (Win) Other Layer Panel updates, Checkerboard background, optional Thumbnail size (Coming soon to Mac)
- (Win) Update opacity and blend mode on adjustments panel properly

Text / Tables
- Fixes for AutoFlow, including failure after document Close / Open
- Fixed crash when trying to insert linked text frames into the text flow rather than at the end
- Fixes for auto-correct typographic quotes / single quotes
- Removed Table Cell Stroke alignment options
- (Mac) Fixed selection of entire words containing special characters
- (Mac) Fixed Leading stepper on Character Panel
- (Mac) Text Style Decorations now display CMYK values as CMYK

Images and Resources
- Fixed possible hang when opening large document with missing resources

Import / Export
- (Win) Significant performance improvements when Saving / Exporting
- Option to Export Layers to PDF disabled when PDF Version doesn't support Layers (PDF 1.4)

---

Earlier Release Notes Beta 238

22 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Regular Expressions!!!, wow!

I will be busy. [big-happy-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
5 minutes ago, GreatSouthernBear said:

Thanks for the notification! My app said it was up to date…but it wasn't!

We put new beta builds (only) here on the forums first. That way we know everyone who has it knows where to report problems updating or running/using it. If there is a problem we fix it quickly and can inform the affected forum users we are working on a resolution and then when there is a fix. Once we get a little more confidence with the updating and succesful running of any beta build we put it on auto-update. Then the new build goes to everyone running Affinity Publisher, including those who have no idea the forums exist. Although we rarely make mistakes this cautious approach leads to the ability to keep the majority of users with a working beta version.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello @AdamW
Download failed 6 times before it runs up to 100%, i suppose servers are overloaded everyone trying to update.
But i got the file that's fine.

install went smooth and no problem.
First launch was a bit slow but ended working well.
Pen tool looks more fluid (maybe i'm dreaming here) and i was able to do some nice stuffs with.

Will test the other tools over the weekend.

Blessings

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Great progress on Publisher! You are really doing amazing work on this, and I'm looking forward to the release! 

Not a bug (otherwise would make new posting), but "Show Anchors" took some digging - it might be worth considering to include it in the View menu?

This is where I was looking for it initially.

Keep up the great work on everything!!

Thanks for the regular expressions.

I'm not familiar with the terms you use to describe the language (ECMAscript, perl, POSIX and C).

Is there a simple list of expressions that can be used or, even better, a link to a website explaining this exact method/language?
I don't want to risk wasting time, searching for a website explaining regular expressions, and after hours of learning finding out, it's a different language than Publisher uses ...

33 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Is there a simple list of expressions that can be used or, even better, a link to a website explaining this exact method/language?
I don't want to risk wasting time, searching for a website explaining regular expressions, and after hours of learning finding out, it's a different language than Publisher uses ...

Try this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression#POSIX it is a start.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Jens Krebs said:

Either of these should be a very close match to what Publisher is using:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Does anyone know why some hits are not highlighted in a story or a text frame when using some regular expressions? Why is “Charles” highlighted when I use the search term Charles, but not when I use \bc\w+s\b, that means, when I search for a word that starts with a “c” and ends with an “s”? Why is “Charles” found, but not highlighted in the latter case? :/

Missing-highlight.png.d09697aeaf88e216fa04c56cb4b6b1ca.png

6 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Does anyone know why some hits are not highlighted in a story or a text frame when using some regular expressions?

As that's not an installation issue you really should post a separate topic as Adam requested above.

However, if you look at other topics that are discussing the regular expression searching you'll find at least two that have mentioned issues with \b when matching at the end of a word.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I am sorry. Please disregard my post above. This is the same issue that has been found by Peter Kahrel and Walt in the Windows version. I should have performed a forum search first … :(

Thank you, Jens, for looking into this! But it seems my problem was rooted elsewhere. :)

And I should have noticed you'd asked in the Mac forum and mentioned that the other posts I referred to were for Windows. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:

Am I correct in assuming that we didn't have outer shadow intensity before…? 

AND REGEX! TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

For real. I've been using the beta in maybe five production jobs (Oops! I did it again!) and I'd say when InDesign came out… it wasn't half as finished as your product. On the other hand, we didn't have social media then and they dominated the market.

Anyhow, great work again, kids. If you ever feel like hiring a Product Evangelist, let me know ;) 

iMac 27" Retina 2017, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, OS X Mojave | Long-time Adobe veteran (I still remember Aldus Pagemaker, HA!), making the big move after going freelance. Running Publisher Beta along with Designer and Photo desktop versions. Loving what you guys are doing.

When did we lose the lock guides tick box or did I just imagine it? 

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a guides layer that was lockable and use the transform box to precisely place and nudge guides - it's just a pain having to go to guide manager for all this.

Even so, this build seems nice and solid and is working great so far

ACE WORK!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

28 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Some months back.

4 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Almost immediately after we first gained it. Serif came up with what they believe is a better approach, simply making everything else selectable by the Move tool in preference to a guide. So, if there is a guide and some other object close together, and you click with the Move Tool, you get the other object.

-- Walt
PC:

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif came up with what they believe is a better approach, simply making everything else selectable by the Move tool in preference to a guide.

Thats got to be a joke - lockable guides are a necessity - I suppose a way around it would be to make a layer with vector lines as guides, name it Guides and remember to turn it off - be even easier if we had a way to assign non-printing colours 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

This. Good old FreeHand...

On 2/25/2019 at 8:53 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a guides layer that was lockable and use the transform box to precisely place and nudge guides - it's just a pain having to go to guide manager for all this.

On 22. Februar 2019 at 11:05 AM, AdamW said:

perl type (or ‘ECMAScript with perl extensions’) regular expressions

Sorry for asking here again:

Is it / Will it be possible to combine those with the expressions for field input (for example if I want to get the width and height of the text box as text into the box)?

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, Oval said:

Sorry for asking here again:

Is it / Will it be possible to combine those with the expressions for field input (for example if I want to get the width and height of the text box as text into the box)?

Thanks inadvance.

Probably better to post a separate topic to ask that question, probably in Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Pubisher Beta on Desktop.. This topic is intended for reporting bugs in the installation of this build of Publisher beta.

But at the moment, no, it is not possible.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
12 hours ago, Oval said:

No, I’m afraid we’re not considering this. It sounds like a feature for a full scripting engine rather than find and replace. 

I'm missing the search/replace textfield icons and their drop down behavior there, did somebody maybe forget to include these into the patched update option for this beta version release?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 hours ago, Oval said:

What you are asking for here belongs to the scripting domain rather than RE. I wouldn't mix these two concerns together.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4