You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there, you all!!

Affinity Designer has became my main designing piece of software, but still there's a thing that I don't know how to do fluently, and that is setting guides in "live mode" (which mean not using the guide pop-up window). In many other pieces of software you just have to point to the ruler, click and drag to get a guide that you can put wherever you want. I've tried this method unsuccessfully, I'm afraid. I even tried combining this action with the pressing of some keys (command, shift, option ... ), unsuccessfully as well.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks in advance.

For me this works - just drag out of the rulers. But you'll have to have the move tool selected to do that (for whatever reason).

But I have a different problem with them: they always stay on top, so if you try to grab an object to move you move the guide instead. I think they should be on the lowest layer since you can always move them outside of your drawing area.

Hi leGordeau,

it should indeed be as simple as Achim said … see my video. Another option: Alt + Click on a ruler, and a guide should immediately get placed at the position where you have clicked. Are you sure you have selected View > Show guides? But I am sure this cannot be the problem, since guides are set visible as soon as you drag one of them out of the rulers … strange.

Cheers,

Alex  :)

EDIT Deleted movie due to upload limits.

Thanks for your reply, A_B_C.

There's definitely something wrong with my AD, or my system. I add two images to this post. The first one shows what happens when I just click and draw on the ruler, and in the second oneI also press ALT when clicking. In this second case, the appearing guide disappears once I release the ALT+click.

Thanks.

post-4069-0-88221800-1428827904_thumb.jpg

post-4069-0-89811000-1428827916_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is totally strange (and extremely cumbersome) … I also wonder why there is a marquee rectangle showing up in the second screen shot …  :unsure:

Have you ever tried to reset Affinity Designer? To do that, open Launchpad, hold the Ctrl key and click on the Affinity Designer icon. The app launches, and you will be presented a window where you can choose to reset all user settings. See my screen shot for the English version. But beware, you will loose all customisations by doing that, and I don’t know if this helps at all. If the issue persists, I would recommend to file a bug report. Perhaps the developers will have new ideas on monday.

Cheers,

Alex  :)

• 1 year later...

I also have this problem. I can see the blue guide line appear within the semi transparent ruler when I click but as I try to drag it on to the workspace the cursor simply draws a marquee which disappears when releasing the mouse button. The Alt + Click trick which A_B_C suggested works though so at least I can now get guides to appear!

tomgreen,

This behavior has been reported by several users, including by me. (I even posted a movie somewhere in the forums showing the marquee appearing but I can't find it now.) It still occurs on my system with the current AD 1.4.1 beta.

Basically, sometimes it works right & sometimes it is as if the move tool doesn't "know" the drag starts in the ruler so it just draws a selection marquee on the canvas. I have tried starting the drag in the scale tick marks, in the empty area near the ruler numbers, & as close to the edges of the ruler as possible, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, nor does zoom level, ruler units, or anything else I can see.

When it doesn't drag out a guide on the first try, for me the second or third attempt does work (so far).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7