You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global Colors

• Staff

Hi GrosseFreiheit,

It's not currently possible to set Global Colours on the iPad.  It's been requested a number of times and i'd expect to see it in Designer before it's in Photo.  If you set a Global Colour on the Desktop version and open that afdesign/afphoto file the Global colour should still be honoured, you just can't create/edit them on the iPad.

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, stokerg said:

Hi GrosseFreiheit,

It's not currently possible to set Global Colours on the iPad.  It's been requested a number of times and i'd expect to see it in Designer before it's in Photo.  If you set a Global Colour on the Desktop version and open that afdesign/afphoto file the Global colour should still be honoured, you just can't create/edit them on the iPad.

This is bad news

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I ran up against this issue a couple days ago. Thought I was just not seeing the global option in the swatches panel. Until this feature can be added, the in-app help documentation needs to state clearly that it's not possible to create global colors on the iPad version.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just a follow up: In recent Affinity Designer versions for iPad, global colours exist in the swatches menu, see image.

So for an existing drawing, I define the global colour (in a document palette, or global palette), select same to get all similar objects, and then apply the global colour. Now I can edit the colour of all these objects just by editing the global colour.

There is no global gradients, but you can define a gradient style with global colours at the endpoints, and then apply the style to the select same objects. Now the gradient colours can be edited of all the assigned objects by editing the associated global colours.

PS (edit): Applying the gradient style destroys the gradient direction. I can't find a way to apply only the gradient colours. But once applied the global colour gradient colours may be edited globally.

image.png

Edited by Dybkjær
Imprecise information about missing feature in AD.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, T4Z said:

Did this get added with Designer V2 in the iPad?

Global colour was added to designer 1.10 and is available in V2.

E1C1DF0B-3475-4BA5-AB71-BA361A98956E.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/