You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing into quarkxpress 2018

I've just started using Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and QuarkXpress 2018 as I'm trying to move away from Photoshop and InDesign for producing my magazine.  I normally import my PSD files into InDesign and then export the file as a PDF for the printer.  This month I decided to use AD, AP and QuarkXpress instead, so I saved the adverts as PDF to import into QuarkXpress.  When I looked at the files in Quark they looked fine but when I exported the whole magazine into PDF the colours had changed on some of the adverts.  So I had to go back to AD and resave the files as eps.  But a couple of the adverts that were sent in as JPG that I converted to EPS in AP went screwy when I saved them as PDF and had big boxes covering some of the letters.  So now I'm not sure the best format to save files in to import them into Quark.  I'm not sure if it's a problem with what I'm doing in AD and AP or if it's a problem with Quark.

I've attached two of the files to show the problem.  The PDF coverted from eps is the right colours and the PDF saved from quark is the result from me saving the AD file as a PDF, importing it into Quark and then exporting the page to PDF for the printer.  Hopefully it makes sense cause I'd like to work out the problem before next month so I can carry on using AD and AP as I really like them.

PDF convert from eps.pdf

PDF saved from quark.pdf

Welcome to the Affinity forums

Are you Mac or Windows?

Why not download Affinity's Publisher Beta and trying the complete holistic approach.

As for the colour its odd that both are cmyk/8 and swap US yet you get noticeable colour difference.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

the complete holistic approach

Apologies for the off-topic question, but what other kind of holistic approach could there be?? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

19 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Apologies for the off-topic question, but what other kind of holistic approach could there be?? :/

Well Afredhopper, what I mean by holistic is keeping everything "in-house" so using the whole of affinity to get a consistent frame of reference, well thats the idea, moving out of affinity eco creates discord and the zen like state is broken, this is not good affinity-shui. :ph34r:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

what I mean by holistic is keeping everything "in-house"

Yes, I understood your use of the term “holistic”. I just couldn’t see why you felt the need to qualify it with the word “complete”. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

OK, @JoBrown. To better aid you, the AD file would be more helpful.

In fact, if you Zipped up the whole thing:

Your AD file, the PDF you exported from AD to import to QXP and the QXP file that is linking to your PDF. 

And then uploaded it here or to a place like dropbox and provided a link here or privately via a PM. I would be happy to look at it.

Mike

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Yes, I understood your use of the term “holistic”. I just couldn’t see why you felt the need to qualify it with the word “complete”. ;)

If you need to put a nail in put two in just for good measure. ;-)

22 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

If you need to put a nail in put two in just for good measure. ;-)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Carpentry?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Geez. Until such time as the OP's problem is resolved, could the banter be suppressed?

@JoBrown,

I tried your file, PDF convert from eps.pdf, in Q2018 and I got identical output as the PDF shows. Which is why the original files would be helpful.

There are quite a few people using AD and APhoto in conjunction with Q of various versions, including 2018 on the closed QuarkXPress FB group. A couple do newspapers. Issues with the combination can always be asked there as well. But either place, it is helpful to see original files.

It would be helpful as well if you would even just show screen shots of the PDF settings you are using in Q.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MikeW,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I've attached the AD file for you to see.  The customer sent me the file in jpg and I joined the two jpgs into one AD file to put in place in the magazine.  I've also attached the original pdf to show the colour difference that happened when I saved the magazine originally. 

I've also attached the settings for printing that I had for Quark to see if the settings are wrong in any way.  I just used the original print setting and changed it to save individual pages as saving as one file took a long time to save.

Thanks

Jo

Dog Sitting Murcia Mar19.afdesign

March 2019_061.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 8.31.16 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 8.31.34 am.png

On 2/22/2019 at 4:07 PM, firstdefence said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums

Are you Mac or Windows?

Why not download Affinity's Publisher Beta and trying the complete holistic approach.

As for the colour its odd that both are cmyk/8 and swap US yet you get noticeable colour difference.

I'm on a Mac.  If you look at my original post and the post just above this one you will see the difference in colour. March 2019_061.pdf in the post above is how the advert saved originally on the page.  The BWB advert is completely the wrong shade of green in the logo.

I have downloaded AP but all my files with articles on are in Word format and you can't import Word into Publisher.  I also need to be able to package up the final file with all the images used in the file to save the month's adverts in one place as I get people coming back a year later saying they want to re-use the advert they had in October 2017 for example so it's easier to just go to the folder for October 2017 and find their advert in there other than hunt amongst all the old adverts I have saved.

1 hour ago, JoBrown said:

Hi @MikeW,

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I've attached the AD file for you to see.  The customer sent me the file in jpg and I joined the two jpgs into one AD file to put in place in the magazine.  I've also attached the original pdf to show the colour difference that happened when I saved the magazine originally. 

I've also attached the settings for printing that I had for Quark to see if the settings are wrong in any way.  I just used the original print setting and changed it to save individual pages as saving as one file took a long time to save. ...

Hi Jo,

It would also be helpful to know what your color profile is in QXP. Not knowing that, I am using the same US SWOP profile in QXP as the AD document is using. But I have doubt that is the proper color profile in AD.

Here is a screen shot. QXP 2018 on the left, the PDF from AD and the PDF out of QXP.

capture-002546.thumb.png.23aa268a8bffe0697940477213ee7d99.png

Hi Jo, Where it says Source setup in the right panel of the colour panel window if you click on the arrow it should give the option for New... This opens a new Windows where you can create a new source setup and assign profiles.

You can also access the existing source setup IDML by going to Edit > Colour Setups and choose Source or output, from that window you can edit or create new.

This link explains a bit more: https://support.quark.com/en/support/solutions/articles/19000056105-how-to-work-with-quarkxpress-color-manager

The IDML source may be a red herring. It should be defined as per the IDML file that was opened and should produce the same results. But to be certain, one can delete the IDML source setup via the menu choices: Edit | Color Setups | Source... and then select and delete the IDML source setup profile. I usually delete this source set up profile when opening IDML files when I think about it because the originating ID file (from where this color source profile comes from) may have been set up incorrectly for my purposes.

So go ahead and delete it. This will revert to the QuarkXPress Default source profile.

Then try to Export to PDF. Just choose any of QXP's as-installed CMYK-type of PDFs. So for instance, what happens if you just use the Default PDF Output Style?

I am attaching the PDF of that ad I generated from AD. If the above doesn't work fine, try starting a new project and import this PDF and try a PDF Export again. Does that version work?

But please do use the Export route and not printing to PostScript and distilling if you are doing this.

Dog Sitting Murcia Mar19.pdf

Thank you both.  That seems to have worked ok this time.  I saved the page as a PDF using the Default PDF Output Style and it seems to have saved it correctly this time.  So when I make up adverts I'm best to save them as PDF from AD and then import them into Quark.  

I used to save as EPS and then distill it when I was using InDesign cause I had a problem once when I saved it straight to PDF.  I saved it by saving all pages as EPS this last month with Quark because it took so long to save all the pages together and then it crashed because of a couple of adverts that it didn't like so I had to start the save all over again.  

5 hours ago, JoBrown said:

Thank you both.  That seems to have worked ok this time.  I saved the page as a PDF using the Default PDF Output Style and it seems to have saved it correctly this time.  So when I make up adverts I'm best to save them as PDF from AD and then import them into Quark.  

I used to save as EPS and then distill it when I was using InDesign cause I had a problem once when I saved it straight to PDF.  I saved it by saving all pages as EPS this last month with Quark because it took so long to save all the pages together and then it crashed because of a couple of adverts that it didn't like so I had to start the save all over again.  

By default, QXP does not save backups of your projects. Consider turning that on. While I haven't had your issue of crashing and loss of work, it can, if nothing else, give one peace of mind should such a thing happen.

capture-002549.png.fd9f015f883da083638ba78ebbe1d71f.png

In testing the Q betas and doing things I really wouldn't do in real life, I have had crashes. Usually Q creates a folder on one's desktop with a recovery file. This folder will have one or more crash dump files in it, along with a copy of your document with a different extension. That extension can be changed to .qxp. It is saved at the state before/at the crash and often it can be opened and immediately saved to a new name and the work recovered. But I would consider also saving your file using Save As once in a while. One can then always go back to a previous version.

Mike