You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separating Paragraph and Character Styles

21 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

Is the only way to view paragraph and character styles all only under one panel called Text Styles?

Go to View > Show Context Tool Bar and make certain that it is checked then you can see what Character Style and Paragraph Style are applied to the text that you select with the text caret. It will also show up in the Character Studio and the Paragraph Studio.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Not possible, I too wanted that but to be honest I am now used to the present method.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

ok, then how about the next best thing... either or both of:

• provide filter options of "all styles", "paragraph styles", and "character styles" (and maintain the scrollbar position (within reason) when switching among the three, at least if not implementing both of these features)
  • allow multiple copies of the panel to be opened (with different filters applied if providing both features)

One of the limitations of the current approach is that if you do sort by the type of style there are so many styles in Publisher that the character styles get scrolled off the bottom of the list when trying to reach the paragraph styles at the top, while some of the paragraph styles get scrolled off the top of the list when trying to change the character styles below.  Either of these options would help to alleviate that problem.

5 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

We don't plan to split the Text Styles panel in two. However, if you have the Sort By Type option checked in the top-right menu, it should move all the character styles to below the paragraph styles, which make help. (I think the panel looks cleaner with Show Samples unchecked, too.)

I really didn't think this would be off the table topic!

9 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

We don't plan to split the Text Styles panel in two.

As other already said, splitting it would be better.

When we have a lot of Paragraph and Character style, it's annoying to have to croll up and down to check or apply a Paragraph style, and go down for the Character styles we need on part of the text.

Another usefull use of 2 panels is to easily be able to click in the text and visually check or modify P & C styles applied, if each style is highlighted and visible in its panel.
On huge documents I can have 90 Characters styles and 80 Paragraphes styles (text formatting is generated from a database, and imported in the document: each styles should exists, used or not).
I can't imagine using only one panel for managing such documents. If the problem is showing the dependencies when a character style is created from a paragraph style, I suppose you can find another way than the hierarchical one to display them? Perhaps in a new line at the bottom of the panel.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

I can't imagine using only one panel for managing such documents. If the problem is showing the dependencies when a character style is created from a paragraph style, I suppose you can find another way than the hierarchical one to display them? Perhaps in a new line at the bottom of the panel.

12 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

However, if you have the Sort By Type option checked in the top-right menu, it should move all the character styles to below the paragraph styles, which make help.

You could also try having the Character Studio and the Paragraph Studio open and just use the drop down menu to select, or just use the context bar at the top of the window.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

As other already said, splitting it would be better.

It seems that a decision has been made by the Serif team to keep the P&C together.

I understand that they may add folders to the mix so if that happens one could keep them in different folders or any other way that makes sense.

I think time will tell whether this is a good decision or not.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

5 hours ago, Seneca said:

they may add folders to the mix

On the other app I use, I realised folders are good for organisation, but for a fast workflow it's not since the app doesn't always open those folders and hightligh the used styles in the P and C styles panels. With APub way to manage text styles, it's impossible to have them highlighted and displayed automatically in the panel. And how easy will it be to check if it's the right style applied if you have same name styles in different folders? "Reading" textual information won't be as convenient as checking in a glance in a list that's the right styles are highlighted, or selecting them in a panel without scrolling to the top and to the bottom.

It's easier to have good names for the styles to be ordered by. Each styles you need for the Edito page will begin by "EDITO_" for example (differents persons created the documents I work with, I can compare :)). On the long run, good names (EDITO_ or 10_, 20_… as in the first coding language I learn) are my favorite for a fastest workflow.

Each day we work on different documents: the main one we're working on, the other we need to add corrections or do last modifications or not and send to print. All this need to be done easily and fast, and scrolling up and down searching for a style isn't part of it.

I love APub for creating documents and styles, and that's when the hierarchical view is important. It's easy, perhaps some actions can be improve with lesser clicks, but usually it's fine. But working on those documents to insert and format text is the part with a bad workflow. Too many time spends searching styles, strange applied parameters that'll give your new text frames text at 25% size for no reason, etc.

For now they're working on adding and debugging features, I hope they'll have more time later to think about ergonomy and workflows.

I have to concur with what was said in this thread. With lots of character and paragraph styles present in a document, the panel simply becomes confusing, and the suggestions made by Dave are only kind of patches on a more fundamental issue. There are already many good ideas articulated in this thread, if splitting the panels is not an alternative (which I would prefer). Please consider improving workflow and ergonomics here. I know that Publisher is currently not aimed at creating complex documents, but I don’t believe the current implementation has the scalability that will be required later in the development process. :(

• 4 years later...

Whatever came of this discussion? I don't see that any changes or conveniences have been added, outside of Sort Hierarchical, which is only useful in certain contexts. Given the limited screen space when working on the go, this is a rather bizarre oversight. Creating software to work with various work spaces is critical. I love Publisher 2, but there are so many issues that make it difficult to make the switch from InDesign. :(