You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photoshop transfer guide

So far I am very pleased with Photo and Designer, however, since Affinity is now a legitimate, direct competitor to Adobe, if you want to encourage more crossovers, I would highly encourage a video or list of the top dozen or so common things that AP does differently than PShop. It doesn't have to go into any detail and it doesn't have to get into the more advanced options. Just things like this:

Photoshop Fill: CTRL-Backspace/ALT-Backspace  AP: Shift-Fn-F5 
Photoshop: Merge Layers works differently because AP handles layers differently. Instead AP does THIS.

Here are some common things I've had to search for, how to:

Constrain rectangular marquee
copy and paste layer fx
delete hidden layers
Clear layer fx
select contents of a pixel layer

It took me many months to cut the cord and switch, precisely because I knew that I would have to either watch dozens of videos or figure out differences on my own. When many of us are out here using Adobe products for 8-10-12 hours every day, the thought of introducing hours of learning curve is definitely a hinderance to making the switch.

Keep up the good work! I was in Nottingham in August (before I knew you were there!)

9 hours ago, moonliner said:

Photoshop Fill: CTRL-Backspace/ALT-Backspace  AP: Shift-Fn-F5 

You can set shortcuts according to your needs and habits.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

How about "Creating/Editing the Alpha Channel" for Photoshop users. This is something I still have not figured out, and still rely on Photoshop for.  There is nothing in the manual or any of the tutorials about the topic. Alpha channels are the only thing I've found that are treated completely differently in AF than in Photoshop, and the only (big, glaring) gap for me in the tutorials and documentation.

I agree that something official from serif would be incredibly useful. This might take time however, as tools keep getting worked on and updated and new ones are constantly being made. I think there won't be anything solid until they feel the program is more "complete" but they definitely should at least make a series showing off the features they're most comfortable with and how they directly correlate or how they're better. 

I got my dad Affinity Photo for his birthday so he wouldn't have to start paying for Adobe every month. He opened it up once and asked me to find him our old copy of Photoshop 7. There are enough changes in CC to turn him off, but there's no way to legally get any of the older CS4 etc programs at this point that he'd be more comfortable with. It's definitely daunting, especially to an older person who is more set in what they know and more apprehensive towards change. There's no way he's sitting through online Affinity tutorials that treat the viewer like a complete newbie. But something from the company representing and explaining its own software and what it does differently would be nice. Especially something that is geared specifically towards long time users of photoshop who want to switch over would be nice. 

On 2/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, John-B said:

How about "Creating/Editing the Alpha Channel" for Photoshop users. This is something I still have not figured out, and still rely on Photoshop for.  There is nothing in the manual or any of the tutorials about the topic. Alpha channels are the only thing I've found that are treated completely differently in AF than in Photoshop, and the only (big, glaring) gap for me in the tutorials and documentation.

I haven't investigated Channels yet, but this may point you in the right direction. I found this while playing with selections and masking. If you make a selection or create a mask, you can save it (Select/Save Selection) to a Spare Channel. If you then go to the Channels tab you can right-click on the Spare Channel and copy it to the Alpha Channel for the Pixel Layer you have selected.

I hope this helps.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

I guess it all depends on Affinty's marketing goals. If they're only hoping to attract newbies deciding between it or PShop or PShop Elements, I guess their tutorials are fine. But if they really want to attract PShop users who are tired of paying monthly dues, this lack or cross-training, even on rudimentary tools, is an issue.

I also find it annoying that the lasso tool/delete bug on laptop/compact keyboards has been addressed in the 1/7 beta but I cannot open a 1.7 document in 1.6. They say to not use the beta for important docs, that's understandable, but then don't fix what to me is a huge bug in 1.6. Catch 22! So I have had to purchase PSElements to get PShop's selection abilities, then switch back to AP for other stuff. In other words, to get all of what AP should do, I've had to spend $150 instead of $50.

Designer however, I find to be pretty darn wonderful. So I guess for $50 I'm not going to complain.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:41 PM, casterle said:

You can find them on ebay. I just checked and found a CS6 for under $200.

The ones sold on ebay have complaints of still showing the same "illegitimate software" dialogues. At this point I don't care about pursuing that avenue anymore. I'm invested in Affinity now and I'm genuinely rooting for it to beat out Adobe and do even better work. What's said below definitely sums up the actual point I was trying to make.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, moonliner said:

If they're only hoping to attract newbies deciding between it or PShop or PShop Elements, I guess their tutorials are fine. But if they really want to attract PShop users who are tired of paying monthly dues, this lack or cross-training, even on rudimentary tools, is an issue.