You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Brushes Panel is erased or maybe not

On Page 188 (Affinity Designer Work Book), I followed number 1 and 2.  Number 2, I selected "Create New Category" and was going to type for a rename to DAUB but I do not know where can I type it.  After I selected the new category without rename, the list of Brushes is gone.  How can I get it back?

Another question, Am I supposed to open the nib_01.png before I start to follow the steps?  (p. 188 - a green chart at the top page for Resource.)

(1)  Really?   Why the Brushes is empty in the box?  Assorted, Textured, Image, and Basic currently contain the list of brushes. 

I think that I erased the Brushes after I followed the step - number two in the book which the Brushes is now empty.  Please look at your software to see if your Brushes is not empty in the box.

(2)  What about on page 188, it says that I need to type DAUB.  Do you know where can I type it?

(3)  Off topic, How can I save all brushes for backup in case we lose them?

all brushes.png

20 hours ago, webworld said:

Number 2, I selected "Create New Category" and was going to type for a rename to DAUB but I do not know where can I type it.  After I selected the new category without rename, the list of Brushes is gone.  How can I get it back?

52 minutes ago, webworld said:

(1)  Really?   Why the Brushes is empty in the box?  Assorted, Textured, Image, and Basic currently contain the list of brushes.  

I think that I erased the Brushes after I followed the step - number two in the book which the Brushes is now empty.  Please look at your software to see if your Brushes is not empty in the box. 

At the end of step 2, whether you rename the category from Brushes to Daub or not, you have a new category. As it is new, it has no brushes in it, so there's nothing to get back. It would only have something in it after you follow steps 3-5 to create your new brush.

53 minutes ago, webworld said:

(2)  What about on page 188, it says that I need to type DAUB.  Do you know where can I type it?

It does not say to type DAUB. It says "Rename the cagegory to Daub Workbench using Panel Preferences."

You find the Panel Preferences (also called the hamburger menu) in the little icon to the right of the panel:
image.png.e374c9d3626ee50e1e972f6757acf248.png

If you click on that one of your possible actions is Rename Category.

57 minutes ago, webworld said:

(3)  Off topic, How can I save all brushes for backup in case we lose them?

Using the Panel Preferences, you can Export Brushes, which will export the current category for backup purposes. Each category must be exported individually. Also, the brushes you have in the Pixel Persona are separate from the Brushes in the Draw Persona, and you would need to back them up separately.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Okay.  Now I am on number 3, for the panel preferences, I created New Intensity Brush and imported nib_01.png.   My software does not have the exact file for "New Intensity Brush."  It has three options which are: New Solid Brush, New Textured Intensity Brush, and New Textured Image Brush."   I picked the "New Textured Intensity Brush."   ...Here is the picture which looks not the same in the book (p.188).  I checked my Affinity's version 1.6.1 on Apple computer.   The picture of the brush in the background is white. I think that it should be black.  What do you think about the background color?

I have only one Stroke selection for Brush - Editing (nib_01.png) - no General, Dynamics, and Texture.  See the picture below.  Why is that?

New Textured Intensity Brush.png

panel.png

Hi,

I have not looked at the book today but looking at the images I believe that you have loaded (nib_01/02) into a vector brush in the Draw Persona.

The format or construction of these brushes between Personas  is slightly different, Vector Brushes and require  brush nozzles to be built in the negative. i.e. White over black. Have a look at this video it will help understand the process (Create Vector Brush). Raster Brushes are commonly pre-defined .png files

In Draw Persona try repeating the same process with stroke_01.png and you will see the difference.

In Pixel Persona create a new 'intensity brush' and locate nib_01.png then play around with the dynamic settings.

You should then be able to compare the 2 types of brushes in AD and get a better understanding of the process

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, StuartRc said:

I see the difference between Pixel Persona and Draw Persona.   But, I forgot the difference.   Is this for Raser and Vector?  ...Finally, I am able to see the Brush editing that has General, Dynamics, and Texture that must be on Pixel Persona, not Draw Persona (top left corner of the software).

Not being in the right Persona catches a lot of people out....Both types of brush are technically raster but perform differently Put simply..the vector brushes in Draw Persona are stretched raster images (/or not) depending on settings; that follow the path of a vector line. They are very useful for ink outlining. especially when you can easily convert them to raster images. The Pixel Persona brushes are also raster brushes but much more complicated in terms of dynamics and nozzle structure; even more so in AD 1.7...acting more like 'classic' bitmap brushes. 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

1 hour ago, webworld said:

I see the difference between Pixel Persona and Draw Persona.   But, I forgot the difference.   Is this for Raser and Vector?  ...Finally, I am able to see the Brush editing that has General, Dynamics, and Texture that must be on Pixel Persona, not Draw Persona (top left corner of the software).

Yes, and on page 188, before step 1, the book said that you must be in the Pixel Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, How can I miss that part?  You must have very good eyes like an owl that goes after a tiny mouse.  My software has a black background - on my Apple computer.  It would be a little nice if it has a squared icon (dark gray line square) that shows me that I am currently on Draw Persona or Pixel Persona.  Right now, I see a little dark squared icon that almost the same color on the background.  That is the problem but I will try my best to look at it before I start to draw something.  (Besides, I like the dark black background so that it would not burn my eyes.)