You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anchor / place image inline with text

Nobody „leaves this out“. But you simply can’t expect, that every feature, which somebody qualifies as „essential“ is built in in an initial version of an app. It is time to earn money in order to pay present and further development. If they wait, until all potential users are satisfied, they will be bankrupt, before the software is released.

7 minutes ago, bowen192 said:

Bit of a basic thing to leave out though, isn't it?

Hi @bowen192,

this was not left out on purpous, it's just a feature that is not there, yet.
If you want to, you can read up a rather long discussion on this topic here :)

Personally I'd expect that this will be included before the official release, but I have no indication for this.
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

15 hours ago, bowen192 said:

Just with all the options already included, for a DTP, I would have thought it would be one of the first things.

Me too. I would not regard placing a table inline, or placing a graphic in a table cell as essential, but I would expect to place an image inline with a standard text frame. This is basic stuff for DTP software.

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

• Staff
48 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

You. Are. Using. A. Beta.Software. Know, what that means?

That's not really fair. It's that this software is in a pre-release phase that makes this slightly more acceptable, not just the word beta. "Beta" normally comes when a soon to be released newer version is feature complete and needs to be run through some checking that those features are ready for release. So that fact that such a "basic feature" is not there is surprising to those who think that we are doing a feature complete beta. However as you have seen we are still adding features during this pre-release phase. We are doing a beta, yes but also still adding more features as they become public ready.

As I and others have said before the actual release version 1.7.0 may not suit all use cases and may require a little patience for more features to be added, but until we are selling it the release feature set is not public. We really appreciate your patience and I believe that it will be rewarded.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Well I think being able to place/insert/paste images into table cells is generally an important feature, it's something you often need for all kind of publishing brochures, manuals etc. - Actually copy/paste for example just places a textual representation of the image file name inside.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

You. Are. Using. A. Beta.Software. Know, what that means? :)

I have been testing Beta software for 16 years. I have maintained the Softerviews.org website with WebPlus for years. There is not much that I do not know about PagePlus as I have used it to publish over 100 books, and many tutorials on using PagePlus.

Tony B said on August 6th 2014

Affinity Publisher V1 is unlikely to support footnotes, contents or indexes. Some of these features will be on the roadmap but not in the first release.

I replied then that I would therefore not bother testing the beta. Things have improved since then, so I looked at the last two beta versions of Affinity Publisher to test its OpenType feature support. I reported a few bugs, but I recently uninstalled it because it is not worth my time.  I also got no response to my bug report on Broken Extended Keyboard Input, which is discouraging. 

For me, with so many years of using PagePlus (since PP9), it has a steep learning curve. Some things are easy and familiar, but other basic tasks like creating tables or flowing text would require me to Read the Free Manual.

I reckon it needs another year of development before it has sufficient features to make it a viable product. I currently see no reason to recommend it over PagePlus X9, which is only £20 and far more powerful. It may be five years before it becomes a serious DTP product. 

18 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Read the Free Manual

I wish there was one! 

18 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

It may be five years before it becomes a serious DTP product. 

I do hope it doesn't take that long!!!

I really like Publisher, but until more features are added (particularly Mail Merge) I'm going to have to keep using PPX9 in tandem for a lot of projects.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

To Read the Free Manual, press F1, or go to the Help menu. 

I hope, for the sake of Serif's business, that it does not take that long. If users who buy the first official release version (later this year?) are disappointed with the lack of basic functionality, they may look elsewhere unless more features come fairly soon. 

2 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

the lack of basic functionality

Take a look at other options in this price range then come back and tell us about basic functionality...

For example, there is a company that makes a program called Printworks for the Mac ($30 US) - it has trifold spreads, "proper" layers, calendars, bar codes, templates, etc...   but basic text formatting features like vertical alignment are nowhere to be found, nevermind stylistic alternatives...

On 2/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

To Read the Free Manual, press F1, or go to the Help menu. 

When you referred to a Manual I didn't realise you meant the Help menu. I was thinking more of something like the PDF User Guides that Serif used to include with the "Plus" products. :)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

When you referred to a Manual I didn't realise you meant the Help menu. I was thinking more of something like the PDF User Guides that Serif used to include with the "Plus" products. :)

I was actually referring to the well known acronym RTFM when some newbie asks a simple question like “How do you flow text through text frames?” or “How do you create a table.” 

1. The first of these I discovered in the free manual which said to click on the link icon while holding down the Alt key modifier, but it does not seem to autoflow and create new text frames to accommodate all of the story — just manually adding one frame at a time, which is not much fun with a 256 page book. Edit: Hold Shift while clicking the icon to autoflow the entire story.
  2. The second did not seem to work in earlier builds, but it seems OK now. No formulae, just plain text is good enough for starters. 

• Staff

Oval & Pesala.

I have hidden your OT sub-discussion as it is adding very little to this thread. If you want to discuss your expertise in OR the benefits (or otherwise) of other software please make a new thread or PM each other.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Oval & Pesala.

I have hidden your OT sub-discussion as it is adding very little to this thread. If you want to discuss your expertise in OR the benefits (or otherwise) of other software please make a new thread or PM each other.

We still can see “ <removed by mod>” and more. We had to defend ourselves against allegations and would be happy if we/you were not forced to read so much outside the topic in the forums.

• Staff

Thanks, sorry I missed one (gone now). Yes I see how it went.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 21. Februar 2019 at 6:25 PM, bowen192 said:

How many people design documents that doesn't require text and images to flow with each othero.O

A good point … statistical many, but less than people that don’t use other objects* in texts. Nevertheless we need this basic feature and we are sure Serif will add a function that is much better than the average … 

*could be animations, random numbers, calculated graphics, pages, …

On 2/21/2019 at 5:25 PM, bowen192 said:

:/

Bit of a basic thing to leave out though, isn't it?

How many people design documents that doesn't require text and images to flow with each other? o.O

I think the topic is about whether the ability to place images inline is a basic requirement. I don't think it is a viable product without this. At least Serif realised that contents and indexes (with hyperlinks) were a basic requirement, so I am taking a second look. 

It seems that I was mistaken about the stage of development. This is more like an Alpha than a Beta product. I was under the impression that since the start of the Beta test had been delayed for some time, that it would be close to release within a few months, not by Christmas or sometime next year. 

22 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

I don't think it is a viable product without […] close to release within a few months, not by Christmas or sometime next year

“This is the first version. If there are any features you would like adding, let us know. We may not get them in before we release version 1 but as with our other apps you can expect plenty of free updates to come.”