You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Focus does not go to the active tab. 1.7.0.243

I have noticed that too

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• Staff

Hey Max N,

This is a great find. I've just checked to see what happens on macOS and it pulls the document you click from the list to the left of the open document tabs.  I think this is how it should work on Windows.

Interestingly, the macOS version only shows the documents in the list view that are not visible across the top open tabs. Windows show all of them regardless. Should Windows only show the non-visible documents in the list? I'll have to check!

There's also a difference in how they are organised in the list view. Windows arranges them numerically and then alphabetically whereas macOS will arrange them in the order they opened. I'd prefer them to be ordered by the order they were opened—what do you think?

There is definitely a few improvements to swing by the developers regarding this. Thanks :) 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Max N,

This is a great find. I've just checked to see what happens on macOS and it pulls the document you click from the list to the left of the open document tabs.  I think this is how it should work on Windows.

Interestingly, the macOS version only shows the documents in the list view that are not visible across the top open tabs. Windows show all of them regardless. Should Windows only show the non-visible documents in the list? I'll have to check!

There's also a difference in how they are organised in the list view. Windows arranges them numerically and then alphabetically whereas macOS will arrange them in the order they opened. I'd prefer them to be ordered by the order they were opened—what do you think?

There is definitely a few improvements to swing by the developers regarding this. Thanks :) 

The fact that all files are displayed is good.
Logically, the numbering should go from left to right and from top to bottom (and not from bottom to top as it is now).
But the problem is not in display order. The problem is that the active tab is not displayed in the tab toolbar if it does not fit there, even if it is active. As a result, it is not possible to close it with a mouse or move it.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

• Staff
28 minutes ago, Max N said:

The problem is that the active tab is not displayed in the tab toolbar if it does not fit there, even if it is active. As a result, it is not possible to close it with a mouse or move it.

Sorry I forgot to mention this got logged when I replied :) macOS pulls it to the left of all the open documents, so Windows should too! 

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Max N,

Being able to click the list would be great. Also  "Ordered as they were opened" would be great if that could happen

Also, when you get more than a few tabs one can no longer read the file names. If the active tab file name could be on (say) the bottom bar or accessible via hovering the tab and getting a tool tip type pop up ... that would be very helpful

... and make rasterize and trim the default ... oops sorry ... I didn't mean to hijack the thread ... 

banghead.gif

LOL pound 2.GIF

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• Staff
15 hours ago, Rick G said:

Also, when you get more than a few tabs one can no longer read the file names. If the active tab file name could be on (say) the bottom bar or accessible via hovering the tab and getting a tool tip type pop up ... that would be very helpful

I'm seeing a tooltip that includes the file location and its name. I guess this only works if you're opening existing files.

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm seeing a tooltip that includes the file location and its name. I guess this only works if you're opening existing files.

How did I miss that? {DOH!} It works on any file as long as it has been saved

Thank you

OS build    22621.1928

yoda.png

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to the focus of documents in the latest Windows customer beta. Sorry this issue has taken so long to get resolved properly. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version. #when using beta builds, please work on copies of your files, as 1.8.0 uses a more advanced version of the file format than 1.7.3

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 1/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to the focus of documents in the latest Windows customer beta. Sorry this issue has taken so long to get resolved properly. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version. #when using beta builds, please work on copies of your files, as 1.8.0 uses a more advanced version of the file format than 1.7.3

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Thanks! Another question arose. Why is the file order chaotic?

239614688_.thumb.png.1afeccd6eeff75eea7d847e96ab4a795.png

If you drop the files at once into the program, then it re-rolls them. I would like her to sort them by name during group loading.

Windows 11 64-bit,

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

I believe smaller documents load before slower ones. We've seen numerous users requests we load them in alphabetical or numerical order. I'm not sure if there's a plan to change the current behaviour.  

Documents are downloaded in several streams and appear in the order of loading.
Sort in the download order correctly when adding one file at a time.
When a group loads, you need to sort by either numbers or letters.
I upload 10 files. They have different processing time priorities. Random loading confuses and complicates the workflow. This is wrong for a professional tool. A professional tool should optimize the process and not vice versa.

Windows 11 64-bit,

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.