You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inaccurate eye-dropper tool

I have found the eye dropper tool is not producing accurate results.

The way I've experienced it is the following:

1. Draw shape and select colour
  2. Set shape to 50% opacity
  3. Use eye-dropper to select the colour of the 50% opaque shape
  4. Draw new shape using the newly selected colour
  5. The colour of the new shape does not match the appearance of the original when I believe it should

The eyedropper matches to the rendered color of what is on the canvas (or wherever else on the screen) but does not account for opacity.

When you draw the new shape, it is probably being drawn with the same color you pointed to, but at 50% opacity it is blending with the background.  Try increasing the opacity of the new shape to 100% and see if they match.

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The eyedropper matches to the rendered color of what is on the canvas (or wherever else on the screen) but does not account for opacity.

When you draw the new shape, it is probably being drawn with the same color you pointed to, but at 50% opacity it is blending with the background.  Try increasing the opacity of the new shape to 100% and see if they match.

I think you’ve not understood my post and instead assumed I don’t know what I’m doing. 

I am producing 100% opaque shapes that look the same as 50% opaque ones. Or that is the aim. 

What I have found is that putting a white shape under the 50% opaque shapes makes them look right even though the artboard is also white. Having read up on this, there is potentially something weird about the artboard being colour managed and the rest of the artwork not. This suggest that we need the artboard to not be white. Perhaps like the grey checkerboard in Photoshop. Otherwise this is extremely confusing for even quite experienced users of image editors. 

30 minutes ago, robinp said:

I am producing 100% opaque shapes that look the same as 50% opaque ones. Or that is the aim. 

ok, that was not clear from your description.

I jumped to that conclusion because after setting the first object to 50% the next one would have been created that way and you never indicated that you had changed it after creating the shape.

Another possibility is if you were using CMYK colors or similar, as the eyedropper would likely be reading it as an RGB color and it might not match up 100% when applied, but I don't get the impression that is what is happening in this case either.

2 minutes ago, robinp said:

Try it yourself.

I did and I'm not seeing a problem.  I'm not doubting you, it just doesn't seem to be happening with the things I am trying - maybe something specific to your configuration or document?  What Color Format and Color Profile are you using?

• Staff

Hi robinp,
Thanks for your report. I've reproduced it here. We already have a similar rendering issue logged for objects placed over a white shape versus background although in different circumstances which I believe is also related with this. I'm updating the report and adding your example/steps.

1 hour ago, robinp said:

Try it yourself. It is really weird. 

Try it with pure green then set to 50% and sample that.

If I have a White shape behind I cannot see any difference and neither can the colour picker.

If I turn off the White shape and just have the white background I can see a difference but the colour picker cannot.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Try it with pure green then set to 50% and sample that.

If I have a White shape behind I cannot see any difference and neither can the colour picker.

If I turn off the White shape and just have the white background I can see a difference but the colour picker cannot.

Exactly that. Strange isn’t it

35 minutes ago, >|< said:

Where a semi-opaque object is over the empty white background instead of a white object, there is a failure to transform the blended colour to the display device's colour space. 

Either that or it isn't being blended since there is nothing underneath it to blend with?

16 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Either that or it isn't being blended since there is nothing underneath it to blend with?

Try making a document with a transparent background. have a white rectangle on the bottom have and the transparency will give you the Non transparency colour Plus the setting of transparency while the part over the white background will give you a 100% middle colour. I am describing this poorly but it is weird looking at the different colour values as you cross back and forth.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It is clear that the problem that I initially observed is not caused by the eye-dropper but by a weird bug about how the white artboard is displayed and / or colour managed. 

Either this needs fixing so that the artboard behaves the way it looks — like a white object — or is purposely made to look different; similar to the checkerboard in Photoshop.

I would be content with either solution. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.