That's correct it doesn't. However holding down CTL + ALT + Left AND Right mouse buttons, then dragging Left or right will change the Brush Size, dragging up/down changes the Hardness. It seems a little awkward when you first try. Keep using it and it's really not bad.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

Hi RedSnapper,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Press and hold ALT and click and hold both the left and right mouse buttons - drag a little and you should see the double-circle on canvas to adjust the width and hardness (not the opacity) of the brush (you can release the right mouse button at this point if you want, but not the left one). Drag horizontally to set the width and vertically to set the hardness.

To adjust the opacity of the brush use the number keys on your keyboard (from 1 up to 0): 1 set the opacity to 10%, 0 (zero) sets it to 100%. If you press two numbers consecutively - for example 2 and 3 - the opacity will be set to 23%.

Thank you for the update. I have realised  my mistake. I was trying to get it to work with  the selection brush where width and hardness make no sense.  I tried it on another brush and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

7 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Thank you for the update. I have realised  my mistake. I was trying to get it to work with  the selection brush where width and hardness make no sense.  I tried it on another brush and it works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Horizontally dragging with Alt+LMB+RMB should be changing the width of the Selection Brush.