You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale with object - Shortcut

Will there be a shortcut to enable/disable (Scale with object) for all thing? Like stroke and effects from multiple selected objects.

Maybe an icon under move tool like the - Show rotation center ...

image.png.1a1148b25425f2c7acee10dd989d730a.png

Thenk you.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, casterle said:

I don't understand the default being not to scale. When wouldn't you want the effects to scale with the object?

I think it depends very much on the kind of project you’re working on. If you have a bunch of objects of various sizes but the same outline effect applied, you probably wouldn’t want that outline to grow or shrink when an object is resized.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

I think it depends very much on the kind of project you’re working on. If you have a bunch of objects of various sizes but the same outline effect applied, you probably wouldn’t want that outline to grow or shrink when an object is resized.

But if the outline effect didn't resize with the objects, wouldn't they overflow the effect when they were enlarged?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

4 hours ago, casterle said:

But if the outline effect didn't resize with the objects, wouldn't they overflow the effect when they were enlarged?

It sounds to me as though you’ve got it the wrong way around, @casterle. Either that, or we’re talking at cross purposes!

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

It sounds to me as though you’ve got it the wrong way around, @casterle. Either that, or we’re talking at cross purposes!

I'm new to vector graphics, so perhaps I misunderstand what this box means. In tutorials I've watched the author has pointed out the Size with Objects checkbox and emphasized that we should make sure it was checked. 

I took it to mean that when I change the size of the object to which I apply the effect, the effect will resize with the object; thus if I don't check the box it won't. I didn't understand why you wouldn't want that to happen.

I suspect I misunderstand the purpose of Scale with Object.

1 hour ago, casterle said:

I suspect I misunderstand the purpose of Scale with Object.

Unless I’ve misunderstood the purpose of ‘Scale with Object’, it should work the same way with effects as it does with stroke weight. If you draw two squares, one with twice the width and height of the other but both with the same stroke, and you then enlarge the smaller one to make it the same size as the larger one, it will only end up looking the same if ‘Scale with Object’ stroke setting is switched off; if ‘Scale with Object’ is switched on, the stroke weight will increase as the size of the square increases.

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Unless I’ve misunderstood the purpose of ‘Scale with Object’, it should work the same way with effects as it does with stroke weight. If you draw two squares, one with twice the width and height of the other but both with the same stroke, and you then enlarge the smaller one to make it the same size as the larger one, it will only end up looking the same if ‘Scale with Object’ stroke setting is switched off; if ‘Scale with Object’ is switched on, the stroke weight will increase as the size of the square increases.

This may be part of my confusion. Scale with Object makes perfect sense with strokes - but I don't see the application with effects which, by definition, must conform to the size and shape of the object to be useful. 

Playing around with Effects, I can find no difference between having 'Scale with Object' checked or unchecked. I didn't try all of the effects, but on the three I tried it made no difference.

4 minutes ago, casterle said:

This may be part of my confusion. Scale with Object makes perfect sense with strokes - but I don't see the application with effects which, by definition, must conform to the size and shape of the object to be useful. 

Playing around with Effects, I can find no difference between having 'Scale with Object' checked or unchecked. I didn't try all of the effects, but on the three I tried it made no difference.

As you’ve probably gathered, I haven’t investigated in any detail! However, if checking or unchecking the option makes no difference then it sounds as though you may have found a bug. bug.gif

Alfred spacer.png