- S -

[Fixed] Certain Metadata Fields Not Retained When Saving In Affinity Photo

I briefly looked at this last week when looking at a Mac related post, however as someone has also recently brought this up, I thought I should probably make a post here.  The issue is certain metadata fields aren’t being retained when saving a JPEG or TIFF file in Affinity Photo (that have had metadata added via the Windows Properties dialogue).

Issue 1: The ‘Subject’ field changes to the same as the ‘Title’ field after saving in Affinity Photo.

001.png.327a9070726782e601047fd12ceded9c.png

It looks like Microsoft add the tags in two main places (I’m not including ‘Rating’, ‘Rating Percent’ and ‘Date Acquired’ as they’re not relevant here):

1) In what looks like mainly proprietary tags from the Windows XP era (going by the naming).

2) In the more standard XMP Dublin Core fields.

[IFD0]          Copyright                       : Copyright (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Title***                     : Title (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Comment                      : Comments (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Author                       : Authors (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Keywords                     : Tags1 (Added by me);Tags2 (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Subject***                   : Subject (Added by me)

[XMP-dc]        Rights                          : Copyright (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Creator                         : Authors (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         : Tags1 (Added by me), Tags2 (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Title***                        : Title (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Description***                  : Title (Added by me)

I think the problem is that unlike some of the other fields, Microsoft don’t add the data from the ‘XP Subject’ field to any standardised areas—such as XMP. The only place it’s stored is in the ‘XP Subject’ field. They also add the ‘XP Title’ field to not only the XMP-dc ‘Title’ field, but also to the XMP-dc ‘Description’ field, meaning both those XMP-dc fields contain the title.

As Affinity Photo sanitises/removes the ‘XP’ fields when saving, Windows File Explorer will read back the metadata from either IPTC (that Affinity Photo adds when saving) or the XMP-dc fields, meaning the title is displayed for both the title and the description fields in the Windows Properties dialogue. The ‘XP Subject’ field no longer exists in the file to read.

Issue 2: The ‘Comments’ field disappears after saving in Affinity Photo.

002.png.cdf5116fe5a547b764c7ea31ec22d82e.png

As above, it looks like there are two main places that Microsoft adds the tags:

[IFD0]          Copyright                       : Copyright (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Title                        : Title (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Comment***                   : Comments (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Author                       : Authors (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Keywords                     : Tags1 (Added by me);Tags2 (Added by me)
[IFD0]          XP Subject                      : Subject (Added by me)

[XMP-dc]        Rights                          : Copyright (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Creator                         : Authors (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         : Tags1 (Added by me), Tags2 (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Title                           : Title (Added by me)
[XMP-dc]        Description                     : Title (Added by me)

Similar to above, I think the problem is that unlike some of the other fields, Microsoft don’t add the data from the ‘XP Comment’ field to any standardised areas—such as XMP. The only place it’s stored is in the ‘XP Comment’ field.

As Affinity Photo sanitises/removes the ‘XP’ fields when saving, Windows File Explorer will read back what metadata there is, however because there is no ‘Comments’ field in the file any more, it will display blank.

-----

I think Microsoft really should be storing ‘XP Subject’ and ‘XP Comment’ tags in more standardised areas as well, such as XMP or wherever the correct place for those particular tags should be (meaning it wouldn’t matter as much if the ‘XP’ tags were removed and would make it more future-proof and standardised). However, even if Microsoft were to do this, there will be people who will have photos from over a long time period that still have data only stored in these ‘XP Subject’ and ‘XP Comment’ fields. So, the ‘simple’ solution sounds like Affinity Photo should keep the ‘XP’ tags when saving, but I don’t know whether it’s as straight-forward as that; metadata is a bit of a headache.

Below is the raw metadata for the above data:

003.thumb.png.d0ac936f5c50df4a8e8dcefe74e5aa99.png

-----

Affinity Photo – 1.6.5.135
Windows 10 – 17763.316 (1809)

Thanks for your help with this bug. We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next Windows release.