You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

beta 1.7.0.238 UI glitch with columns in text panel

3 minutes ago, Alex White said:

you can see that the 'preserve width' checkbox overlays the spinner control for columns.

That has already been reported and will hopefully be fixed in the next beta.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

3 hours ago, Alex White said:

Presumably until this is fixed there is no way of creating multi-column text areas?

That is wrong.

All you need to do is select the number 1 and then type however many columns you desire.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:00 AM, Old Bruce said:

That is wrong.

All you need to do is select the number 1 and then type however many columns you desire.

I already thought of that :-) I can't select the number (no matter what 'tool' I have selected, or whether the text frame is selected or not).

If I'm missing something here, I'd be happy to be instructed!

2 hours ago, Alex White said:

any chance you could upload a quick screengrab

Look at the poster frame of the "linked text boxes" tutorial video:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/286540600/

It is labeled "Columns" and is roughly 3/8 of the width of the window from the right in the screenshot, just under the text wrap button.

If your window is too narrow (screen resolution too low or other reason) it may be that it has fallen off the right end of the toolbar; if that has happened, there should be an arrow button on the right edge of the toolbar that reveals the things that are otherwise hidden because they don't fit.

Thanks - that video is very clear and for some reason I wasn't seeing that.

Then inspiration struck! 

My text boxes are defined on the 'master' pages. That is why it is greyed out in the text popup and doesn't appear in the context toolbar. When I go and edit the master pages I can see the other things in the context toolbar including the columns chooser.

So problem is solved. Well, nearly solved. I've turned the LH master page into two columns, but every time I attempt to turn the RH master into two columns it crashes the application hard! But that must be a different bug.

Thanks for your help in getting to the bottom of my problem here. 

11 minutes ago, Alex White said:

every time I attempt to turn the RH master into two columns it crashes the application hard! But that must be a different bug.

Nasty.

Try a Save As... then delete and rebuild relink etc. the right hand text frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.