You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Style change to Text Frame in Master Page not applied to Publication Pages

Problem: I changed the Paragraph Style for a Text Frame on a Master Page but the change is not applied to the associated Publication Pages. When I roll the mouse over the Text Frame layer (dashed orange vertical bar on the left edge) on a Pub Page, a pop-up shows "Unlinked Attributes: Text Frame."

I'm new to Publisher but have read the Help doc, searched the forum and read the release notes for Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.221 and 1.7.0.238 (running on macOS Mojave). I  can't find any description of this behavior or how to change it.

I would like for changes to Text Frames on Master Pages to be propagated to the applicable Pub Pages. It seems to me that this is a key purpose/feature of Master Pages.

Any pointers to tutorials or instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

• Affinity Designer 2.4.2
  • Affinity Photo 2.4.2
  • Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Sonoma v14.4.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

43 minutes ago, afdojo said:

I would like for changes to Text Frames on Master Pages to be propagated to the applicable Pub Pages. It seems to me that this is a key purpose/feature of Master Pages.

While the text frame will 'take' a Paragraph Style, the text in the frame will take on the Paragraph Style applied to it (the text). You can have as many Paragraph Styles in one text frame as there are Paragraphs in that frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

And personally, I think it is a big mistake for a text frame to even have a p.style applied to it. If one desires such a functionality, it could be handled via object styles that could be applied to a text frame. But even if that were so, I fail to see the point.

Changing text styles should be handled at the p.style itself.

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I understand but just to be clear -- if I have

.. single Master Page 'A' containing a Text Frame with a Paragraph Style of "Body"

.. 300 page book all using M.P. 'A'

and I want to change the Style to, say, "My New Body 1", then I have to manually change the Text Frame on all 300 pages. Is that correct?

I would like to know if Affinity has any plans to change this behavior. What's the best way to ask -- open a bug? other?

Thanks,

Doug

• Affinity Designer 2.4.2
  • Affinity Photo 2.4.2
  • Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Sonoma v14.4.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

1 hour ago, afdojo said:

. 300 page book all using M.P. 'A'

and I want to change the Style to, say, "My New Body 1", then I have to manually change the Text Frame on all 300 pages. Is that correct?

No. 

When you first make a Text Frame it has the currently chosen Text style (Paragraph Style and (I am not 100% sure of this) Character Style) as chosen in the Text Styles studio. (This is probably incorrect in all probability it is only the Text Caret which has the styles but now I am nit-picking.) I think this is only active or applicable for text you type in or paste in. What I do is as you have done, Master A has text frames then I go to Page 1 select the text frame and Then I chose the Paragraph Style I really want and paste, import or type for 300 pages.

If I want to change to text style "My New Body 1" I select the text and apply that style. Personally I might just change the original Paragraph Style "Body" but I do know sometimes you can't, there may be 400 pages you don't want changed.

Shorter version: The Text Frame has a Paragraph Style but it can be overridden at any time on the Pages by choosing a different Paragraph Style for the text in the frame. Ignore the Text Frame's Paragraph Style, it is of little or no consequence. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.