Lateraln

[Cannot Reproduce] If .PRN used it prevents printing regardless of what is selected. Restart seems to fix it

Printing out a file I first thought I would test the print to a .prn which saved a file.  Od thing is that if you try to open it in Affinity Photo it declares it doesn't recognise the file type!

Then I decided to print the file to the printer but regardless of what options I selected it would always default to .prn and open the save window.

After a lot of trial and trial.... I ended up saving my work and restarting the program.  I didn't select the .prn option and just went straight to print to printer and it worked fine.

I am using Affinity ver 1.6.5.123.... I don't know how to get the latest version and it doesn't prompt me that it is available.

The printer is a RIcoh SP C250DN PCL6

Computer is 2nd gen i5 K overclocked to 4.3GHz 14GB RAM and a AMD 5770 video card.  C: SSD 1TB 2nd drive SSD cache 4TB Seagate hybrid

Regards.

3 hours ago, Lateraln said:

I am using Affinity ver 1.6.5.123.... I don't know how to get the latest version and it doesn't prompt me that it is available

In terms of program functionality, 1.6.5.123 is the latest non-beta Windows version. There is a 1.6.5.135, but it contains the same program code. The changes, as I understand them, are related to resolving issues that prevent installation.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

3 hours ago, Lateraln said:

Od thing is that if you try to open it in Affinity Photo it declares it doesn't recognise the file type!

I wouldn't expect Affinity applications to know how to open .prn files. I would only expect a printer driver to know what to do with them :)

What did you do to try to print to a .prn? Other than setting Print to File, I don't see a way to do that. And if you did set Print to File, then I would expect that to persist until you restarted the program, or changed that option in your Print dialog.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

On 2/21/2019 at 5:22 AM, walt.farrell said:

or changed that option in your Print dialog.

Looks like you're having a two way bet on what you wrote.

My point changing it doesn't return it to the correct print option.  It gets stuck on.

It's not a problem for me as I just restart the program but it might help others or even the programmers if their interested.

Iep9AlH.png

Hi @Lateraln,,

I could not replicate this. The tickbox works fine for me. 

Perhaps you can try to reset the app settings and see if that fixes it? 

Close Photo. Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Reopen photo. 

For me, it doesn't get "stuck". It's merely remembered if you go to print again. All I need to do is click on Print to File and untick the box, and it's all good.

-- Walt

On 3/7/2019 at 2:10 AM, walt.farrell said:

For me, it doesn't get "stuck". It's merely remembered if you go to print again. All I need to do is click on Print to File and untick the box, and it's all good.

Hi Walt,

Your suggestion worked.  Thank you... apologies for the delay in reply.

Changing subjects but do you know if the Window version is going to have added HEIC file capability?  Love the smaller file size and my iPhone uses it as the default save file.  Would prefer not converting files to png/jpg

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Lateraln said:

Changing subjects but do you know if the Window version is going to have added HEIC file capability?  Love the smaller file size and my iPhone uses it as the default save file.  Would prefer not converting files to png/jpg

Photo 1.7 Beta on Windows can open HEIC files.

-- Walt

On 5/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, walt.farrell said:

Photo 1.7 Beta on Windows can open HEIC files.

Thanks again Walt,

I'm having trouble finding where the beta is located could you link me to the correct page.

Cheers.

19 hours ago, GabrielM said:

We have been unable to reproduce this issue, so we have closed it. If further information becomes available, we will reopen the issue.

My point was that the print to file remains on after you have printed 'even if you request a different print process 'it still thinks you want to print to file.  As it only shows the option in the print to file section you don't realise it is still enabled.

As Walt suggested he goes back in to print to file to switch it off.

It is a little gotcha.  Other print drivers drop the request once the action is done. Eg reset.