You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help - Replicating woodblock printing

Hi everyone! :)

So in simplest terms how would one replicate woodblock printing in Affinity Photo? 

What i am after is to mask the highlights form a low key image and select just the illuminated part then invert the tone (hope that is the right word) and apply on a new layer so that the white is now black and the grey is inverted accordingly. 

Hope i came across clearly, many thanks in advance :) 

• Staff

Hi @ZestyOnion,

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm not sure I follow this correctly. 

1. Take an image
  2. Make a selection from Highlights, and copy it to a new layer
  3. Invert the new layer
  4. Invert the whole image

This is basically just inverting an image. Selecting that highlights layer has no effect. 

OR

1. Take an image
  2. Make a selection from Highlights
  3. Invert the selction
  4. Deselect
  5. Invert the whole image

What do you want to achieve exactly?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thank you Gabe :)

I have come to some sort of understanding of what i want. through trial and error. Due to being new to photo editing i do not think i will be able to convey what it is i have done so would be happy for you to remove this post. 

Again thank you for responding, being new to this software is providing many opportunities to scratch the head! currently working my way through your youtube channels :)

Edit: attached an image with an effect i was looking for. This was the image i managed to produce on Affinity. Will be more adventurerus with this. I like the anime art from Cowboy Beepbop and this style of block printing is a common theme. 

pig outline 1 v0.2 affin.jpg