You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone recommend an acrobat pro alternative?

7 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

In what kinds of situations does it crash

To start with I thought it could be just drag and dropping a PDF onto the PACKZVIEW icon in the doc causing the bomb, but going through PACKZVIEW menu / open and selecting the PDF, as soon as you click on open, it bombs - I'll try rebooting my mac as soon as it's finished backing up 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

35 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

To start with I thought it could be just drag and dropping a PDF onto the PACKZVIEW icon in the doc causing the bomb, but going through PACKZVIEW menu / open and selecting the PDF, as soon as you click on open, it bombs

That's strange! I just tried PACKZVIEW with two of my recent PDFs meant for printing services (both exported from Publisher) and I had no problems whatsoever (10.14.6 Mojave on a mid 2019 iMac).

What this viewer obviously offers is basically just what I was primarily looking for (and which so far had to be done on my older machine still having Acrobat Pro): a quick check on colour separations, ink coverage and overprinting. Nothing too fancy, really, but actually very useful!
One might wonder why an app just providing these basic features hasn't been offered by Affinity/Serif – say: as a free giveaway on any purchase of Designer and Publisher – to give their users that little bit more peace of mind once they're going to actually send their PDFs to some printing service.

4 hours ago, loukash said:

Also, this version doesn't run on El Capitan or Sierra, as it's apparently dependant on system frameworks that came with High Sierra. Which would be a non-issue for me as I have Acrobat X. I'll try to install on Catalina then, as that's my primary target for this whole "exercise" anyway.

Mac OS X PACKZ version
10.6.x -
10.7.5 -
10.8.5 -
10.9.x 3.1, 3.2, 4.0
10.10.x 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0
10.11.x 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0
10.12.x 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2
10.13.x 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2
10.14.x 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 6.0
10.15.x 5.1, 5.2, 6.0
11.1.x Intel 6.0

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 hours ago, Lorox said:

That's strange! I just tried PACKZVIEW with two of my recent PDFs meant for printing services (both exported from Publisher) and I had no problems whatsoever (10.14.6 Mojave on a mid 2019 iMac).

I tried a reboot - still bombs as soon as it tries to open a pdf?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

If you would have used Java instead of C# (?) then the whole would be portable among OS systems.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Should also be possible with Graphics2D there too, though you would have to see if it runs performance wise also adequate in time then. For C# and Java the syntax of the two languages is very similar, also the execution of the code in a VM can be counted among these similarities. - Related to MacOS, even there is VS for MacOS and so C#, there are a bunch of prerequisites and dependencies needed for that one, so a native version might be better suited here. For a native MacOS port you would have to go the ObjC/C-C++/Swift route then.

36 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

However there does not seem to be so much demand anymore now that we know about PACKZVIEW, and hopefully PDF Checkpoint, too, evolves in a way that will include ouput preview amongst its tools.

Can't tell for sure, but I believe PACKZVIEW is first of all meant for prepress business oriented usage and thus not that much for common end users outside of that business domain. In contrast to that, the PDF checkpoint tool I once pointed to, is here more general usable, probably also for common end users.

51 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

The actual code is pretty much library and control dependent so the app probably needs to be more or less completely rewritten.

That's mostly always the case when dealing with crossplatform development, as OS systems and their own provided libraries and app development concepts are usually very different here.

However, good project work so far!

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Can't tell for sure, but I believe PACKZVIEW is first of all meant for prepress business oriented usage and thus not that much for common end users outside of that business domain. In contrast to that, the PDF checkpoint tool I once pointed to, is here more general usable, probably also for common end users.

I'm not so sure about that: considering my own needs as a graphic designer who sends PDFs to print services every now and then, I generally and primarily just need to check my PDFs in regard to correct colour separation, ink coverage and overprintig. For this purpose PACKZVIEW seems to be absolutely sufficient and easy to use, too.

Judging from the info on their website PDF Checkpoint is actually quite comprehensive and may offer a lot more than what I (and probably other ussers, too) need on a regular basis. The advanced features of PDF Checkpoint – e.g. like converting colour profiles in PDFs etc. – may, however, be be extremely useful, when you come across problems in your PDFs hat you cannot solve by just going back to Publisher, changing a colour and/or some setting there and then exporting the PDF again.

12 minutes ago, Lorox said:

I'm not so sure about that: considering my own needs as a graphic designer who sends PDFs to print services every now and then, I generally and primarily just need to check my PDFs in regard to correct colour separation, ink coverage and overprintig. For this purpose PACKZVIEW seems to be absolutely sufficient and easy to use, too.

See the following posting from the user, which somehow resembles what I overall mean here ...

On 2/18/2021 at 2:52 PM, loukash said:

Well, for the fun of it, I have requested a "product key", and this is what I've got:

Dear [loukash],
Thank you for requesting PACKZVIEW. However, we cannot approve this request.
This is an invalid website. The website URL and e-mail address should be from an existing labels/packaging company.
For more information, please contact the Hybrid Support Team

Not being "an existing labels/packaging company", obviously I don't apply.

... so despite the usuability of that software, the software vendor might be (for several understandable reasons) more interested in applicable business cutomers at all.

19 hours ago, Lorox said:

Judging from the info on their website PDF Checkpoint is actually quite comprehensive and may offer a lot more than what I (and probably other ussers, too) need on a regular basis. The advanced features of PDF Checkpoint – e.g. like converting colour profiles in PDFs etc. – may, however, be be extremely useful, when you come across problems in your PDFs hat you cannot solve by just going back to Publisher, changing a colour and/or some setting there and then exporting the PDF again.

Give it a try if you use mac. It is quick and fluid but does NOT supply print preview where you could check ink coverage, overprinting and rich black, of which rich black check would be most wanted feature.

I am not keen on convert features as they are more prepress functions. If there is a problem with file you should go back to original file and fix it as it is probably a work flow problem that should be corrected. (Of course if you get an advert with problems it may be easier just fix it and pass on.)

Edited by Fixx
sorry, missed one crucial word... "NOT"

51 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Give it a try if you use mac. It is quick and fluid but does supply print preview where you could check ink coverage, overprinting and rich black, of which rich black check would be most wanted feature.

As I do use a Mac I may actually do give it a try – thanks for pointing me to PDF Checkpoint's print preview functions (which I wasn't sure about). As it is I didn't find explicit info or screenshots for this on their product website – so I sort of concluded that maybe they (surprisingly) didn't care so much about it... 😥

On 2/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, Lagarto said:

The good news: practically all of the core of the code seems to be directly supported by Microsoft in their implementation of Visual Studio 2019 for macOS so support for TIFF format and the blending functions required would be available also on macOS build (both multiply and screen that are needed in superimposing the initial grayscale TIFFs colored and having the dynamic over-the-TAC pixel screen shown on top, and casting the output for the zooming viewport in doublebuffered bilinear/bicubic view, are supported in a way that would be more or less ideally rendered with equivalent native methods and using macOS kinds of controls, the equivalents in Mono/Xamarin for the PictureBox and standard controls like Checkbox, Label, TextBox and common dialog boxes like Color, OpenFileDialog etc.).

Be forwarned the MS Visual Studio 2019 for macOS  installment is huge, it has a lot of needed lib dependencies. - Apple offers a bunch of image related functions in it's Core Image library (beside UIImage etc. libs), which might be helpful for your porting over tasks.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

...but with its complex dependencies it may be too cumbersome and might only work well on Linux. So it may be that the learning curve is equally steep with porting as it would be in doing the whole thing in Xcode.

That's always the overall time consuming difficulty in porting platform framework dependent apps. - Further .Net C# for Mac will behave and offer slightly different things here, since it's no 1:1 port of everything that Windows supports and so has to adapt to the underlayed Mac specifics. Another point to think about is, that Mac users commonly might not be used or willing to preinstall some .Net C# MS & Mono runtime package dependencies for their platform in order to be able to run a program.

All in all it might be less stressing to just reimplement the program's functionality then here with the means of the Apple ecosystem, namely via Swift/ObjC/C++ in Xcode. It's also a chance to familiarize yourself a little bit with Swift (which is nowadays the defacto dev language on Macs) and the by Apple supplied system supporting libraries, as far as you already didn't.