You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Magic wand or cloning brush tool in Affinity Designer?

Hello,

Had been exploring the tools available in Affinity designer ever since I was searching for robust alternative for Photoshop. Upon closer findings, Could see that "Magic wand" tool isnt available. Kindly suggest or guide 

Also, Had read review here in reference from specific excerpt is being cited :

Users who are dependent on classic Photoshop tools such as the magic wand or cloning brush will need to spend another $49.99 for Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer’s sister program, released in 2015.

https://99designs.com/blog/design-resources/affinity-designer-vs-adobe-illustrator-review/

Someone may kindly confirm if buying Affinity designer is suffice to get the required and essential tools available in Photoshop or will it be needed to buy Affinity Photo too

Regards

• Staff

Hi aman204,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Designer is a graphic/web/UI design and Illustration app.Although it has some basic photo editing tools it's not really intended to be used for photo retouching/editing work. It doesn't have a Magic Wand tool available as you noticed. The closest/comparable product to Photoshop we have is indeed Affinity Photo which does have a similar tool as the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop (called Flood Select Tool is our program).

On 2/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, MEB said:

Hi aman204,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Designer is a graphic/web/UI design and Illustration app.Although it has some basic photo editing tools it's not really intended to be used for photo retouching/editing work. It doesn't have a Magic Wand tool available as you noticed. The closest/comparable product to Photoshop we have is indeed Affinity Photo which does have a similar tool as the Magic Wand Tool in Photoshop (called Flood Select Tool is our program).

Thanks for the response however, these tools are of paramount importance to me. Have started to use trial of Affinity if it fits in well for the purpose. Cannot afford to buy two tools separately as my major usage had been for photoshop. 

I have primarily used Illustrator for getting vector designs or vector elements and copy them to photoshop to be used to enhance my designs. Can you confirm if Affinity photo allows importing or copying of AI files as separate layer in Affinity photo

Regards

54 minutes ago, aman204 said:

Can you confirm if Affinity photo allows importing or copying of AI files as separate layer in Affinity photo

Affinity Photo will import an .ai file if it has been saved/exported with the pdf stream activated. Affinity cannot read it otherwise.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630