You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity - Android

hi, I have a question - do not you plan to enter Affinity on Android devices? - today devices with this system are able to support the software often have better solutions than those in Apple - an example may be Note series from Samsung, these phones and tablets have a great hardware specification as well as have an excellent S-pean

tablet-samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-sm-t835nzkaxeo-lte-srebrny_1182698_3453960_250x250w50.jpg

tablet-samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-sm-t835nzkaxeo-lte-srebrny_1182698_3453966_250x250w50.jpg

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah. I have seen recommendations for affinity programs. I'm a long time Photoshop/Illustrator user. 
I can use lightroom and illustrator draw on my Android devices.

But if i'm limited to only my PC for Affinity products i'll have to wait until they expand to Android stuff to buy their products.

Sucks because i'm ready to ditch Adobe's money grabbing monthly subs.
But i'll have to wait.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@rod willis

and

@kvanconant 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

its not "overpriced hardware" it's expensive hardware capable of running sophisticated hardware intensive algorithms. Android is not (in its current form) up to the job, so don't hold your breath.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, Patrick Connor said:

not "overpriced hardware" it's expensive hardware capable of running sophisticated hardware intensive algorithms

To put some context around this, one of the highest-performing Android tablets out there right now is the Galaxy Tab S6, which has a roughly $650 price tag (Wi-Fi 128 GB model) and an OpenCL score of 2299.

The 6th gen iPad (Wi-Fi 128 GB model) - not even the iPad pro - has a Metal score of 2793 (its equivalent to the OpenCL score for Android) and a price tag of $429.

Granted that the multicore (CPU) score on the Tab is 2468 compared to 1405 for the iPad, but from what I gather the Affinity apps on the iPad depend much more heavily on the Metal performance (which would translate to OpenCL on the Android tablets) than on the CPU performance - and an iPad pro (granted a fair bit pricier) has a multicore CPU score of 4604 with a Metal score of 9149, neatly trouncing both of them on all counts.

When you look at the more "affordable" Android tablets (since your concern seems to be with the price of the iPad), the numbers look much worse for Android: the $330 Asus Zenpad 3S 10 has a multicore score of 762 and no OpenCL support at all apparently (as the score is marked "N/A"), while the $450 Galaxy Tab S4 shows a multicore score of 1489 and an OpenCL score of 1743.

In short, by the time you have something comparable to the performance of the iPad in the form of an Android tablet, you are actually paying more for the Android tablet than for the iPad.  If you are hoping for an Affinity version for Android in an attempt to save money compared to the iPad, you either won't be happy with the performance or will need to invest in a tablet that will wind up costing more than the iPad would have anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the Huawei MatePad Pro with better specs than the iPad Pro   Would love to see an Android version of Affinity Photo.

We are trying to leave Windows and run only Android tablets.  More than willing to pay for more licenses to support Affinity :)

Edited by Axotopia

On 1/11/2020 at 1:19 PM, Axotopia said:

Just bought the Huawei MatePad Pro with better specs than the iPad Pro   Would love to see an Android version of Affinity Photo.

We are trying to leave Windows and run only Android tablets.  More than willing to pay for more licenses to support Affinity :)

Sorry, but this is not true. The Huawei MatePad Pro has an Antutu v8 Score of 455.000.
The iPad Pro 3 scored over 700.000 and even the iPad Air 3 is more performant with 500.000.

See here:
https://www.kimovil.com/de/huawei-matepad-pro/antutu
https://www.antutu.com/en/ranking/ios1.htm

I believe in the Antutu Score because at my work I develop a performance intensive application that runs on Android and iOS.
Own performance tests of my app on several devices including Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 & S4, Sony Z4, iPad Air 1, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro showed a relation to the Antutu Score.

I really absolutely don't like Apple. I personally own Android devices - Galaxy S10e & Tab S2. But as @fde101 correctly pointed Apple has by far the strongest hardware on the market. The Huawei MatePad Pro is a nice strong tablet, but nothing to beat the iPad Pro. If you like it or not.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

3 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

The specs says nothing...

The software AND the OS on iPad is way better than Android, better, faster and less demanding, AND iPad has many many more Pro apps then Android platform...

That's typical fanboy talk.

Which OS is better is just a matter of taste. Nothing more.

Stay with the facts: You can measure with benchmarks that the hardware is stronger. But it also is more expensive.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

3 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Fact is: the iPadOS 13.3 is less demanding, more stable, has better graphical handling, is way more safe, has almost no piracy (big problem for Android system to bring Pro apps to the platform), etc etc etc...

Just look at the music making community on iOS/iPadOS - the amazing amount of software there is unbelievable, although Android has a tiny tiny amount of good music making apps...

The list why iPad is such a success is long, and so is the list why Android tablets never has rised in popularity and sales figures...

No facts. Just your opinion.

24 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Not my words, it’s the common opinion among techpeople around the world...

LOL. That was a good laugh. xDxDxD

You are free to believe what you want. :10_wink: Peace.

2 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Whatsoever, you seems to be an Apple-hater and a Affinity-hater in the same time, so there’s nothing I can do to convince you...

I'm not. And this thread is not about me.

Basicly the question of the thread starter was answered by Patrick and explained further by fde101.

It's indeed so good that it could be part of the FAQ.

Your fanboy talk however is not useful in any way and you won't "convince" me. I already know that Apples hardware is more capable - this has been proven.

What OS & software is "better" is a matter of taste as I already said.

Topic could be closed.

On 1/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

iPadOS 13.3 is less demanding, more stable, has better graphical handling, is way more safe, has almost no piracy

I don't think I have ever seen anything that compares how effectively iPadOS uses the iPad hardware with how effectively Android uses its hardware.  I would guess as well that iPadOS would be less demanding largely due to the fact that it is not encumbered by Java technology the way that Android is, but that would simply be a guess.

I have seen a similar level of stability issues between the two platforms, but that is for my own use cases on the specific devices I own.  Do you have any research data showing the difference in stability between the platforms?

iPad has better 3D graphics support than android did up until recently.  With the addition of Vulkan to recent Android versions I would expect that from an architectural perspective between the platforms they are likely on par now, but as Android hardware varies so wildly the quality of drivers will come into play, plus as has been pointed out, iPad does have the superior hardware at this point.  For 2D graphics I would guess they are closer to matching, but it would be a guess on my part.

As to being more "safe" and the relative lack of piracy, that is a trade-off: the closed ecosystem of the app store on the Apple platforms makes it easier to control things to the point that fewer risks are taken, but the downside is that they reject a number of categories of applications that are readily available on Android, making it worthwhile for some of us to maintain both platforms as we can do some things on each that can't be done on the other (at least not easily).  This includes things such as some types of network diagnostic tools that will run on Android platforms but which require a level of network access that Apple won't permit under iOS/iPadOS.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:41 AM, Steps said:

What OS & software is "better" is a matter of taste as I already said.

In this context perhaps, but this is not always generically true.  Some software (including operating system software) can be provably superior when compared to others for specific use cases depending on how their algorithms handle various conditions.

As a simplified example, consider memory allocation.  When an operating system has X amount of memory and needs to distribute it across multiple processes (applications), there are a number of approaches that could be taken.  If a process comes in and says "I need X amount of memory" then the OS needs to find a block of memory to hand to the process.  Depending on how the data structures are organized by the operating system, the amount of time it takes to find that block of memory may or may not be predictable, may or may not have an upper bound on it, etc.  It is also possible that the OS might need to allocate more than the amount of memory requested in order to keep the process of allocating the memory efficient, depending on its goals.

For example, one algorithm might return the exact amount of memory requested if it is available but take an unpredictable amount of time to obtain it, say ranging from 1 ms to 30 ms but normally taking 3 ms or less.

Another might return the amount of memory requested rounded up to the nearest 1 KB but do it in 5  ms every time.

If you are creating a word processor, the "average" performance of 3 ms or less combined with the fact that the first algorithm does not waste as much memory would probably make it a more practical choice.

If you are creating a medical device that patients rely on to keep them alive and it needs to perform some task every 40 ms precisely without fail, the unpredictable amount of time to allocate memory in that same first algorithm could result in someone's death.

Again, this is admittedly a simplified and not particularly relevant example, but these types of trade-offs are all over the place when it comes to the design of a complex piece of software such as an operating system.  Sure taste can come into play to some degree, but there are times when a particular piece of software (operating system or otherwise) is simply not suitable for a particular task, or perhaps is only available to run on hardware which is not suitable for a particular task, and there are times when the choice of algorithms and the set of facilities exposed by a piece of software are simply better matched to solving a particular problem.

@fde101 Yes, I can follow your point.

Regarding my app it's also Androids way of memory handling that slows it down due to aggressive garbage collection even if there is plenty of space left.

Here the way of iOS to allow taking up some amount and sending out kill warnings over that treshold is better for memory hungry apps like mine.

Providing better Silicon and a relaxed memory handling is of corse a plus for intensive apps.

I think Affinity would perform worse on Android than on iOS.

But saying that this makes iOS the best system in general is nonsense if take everything else also in consideration. Overall I like Android more. The main reason is that I'm a Java Developer and Android is quite accesible, easy and good documented. I can run my own apps without paying a cent for that. Not possible with iOS.

• 3 months later...

It's all very well comparing the latest iPad with the latest Android tablet.  But Affinity Photo was released 3 years and therefore works on 3/4 year old hardware.  I don't think modern Android tablets would struggle at all. 

Unfortunately, this seems to be a commercial decision, which we must respect.

However, with Krita coming to Android, we may not need Affinity Photo at all.   However, awesome it is.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My Tab S6 and Tab s7+ runs my Adobe products better than my iPad did. I got rid of my iPad because it was over-priced crap.

Funny how Adobe can make products for Android tablets and it works perfectly fine...
But a moderator says iPads can run intensive algorithms and Android can not, but Adobe apps and even Krita prove otherwise...

18 hours ago, Koreanman01 said:

My Tab S6 and Tab s7+ runs my Adobe products better than my iPad did. I got rid of my iPad because it was over-priced crap.

Funny how Adobe can make products for Android tablets and it works perfectly fine...
But a moderator says iPads can run intensive algorithms and Android can not, but Adobe apps and even Krita prove otherwise...

How would you say your Tab s7+ runs Adobe products better? In what way is it better? Is the Adobe software glitchy on the iPad? I use my Adobe CC lightly on the iPad, basically just use Acrobat and cloud sync to show clients proofs on my iPad Pro. 

In terms of the device itself the iPad Pro is similarly priced, a little higher but you are getting a great battery, equal to or if not better then the Tab s7+, better OS (in terms of working with the hardware, Apple is king with this) and better chipset. PC magazine, which I think we can all say is not biased towards Apple products agrees. They are both great devices but the iPad pro is their choice between the Tab s7+ and the iPad Pro. So not sure how you can say it is over priced, especially considering the resale value is infinitely better then anything else out there and that slightly higher price will come back if you ever sell. 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/samsung-galaxy-tab-s7-vs-apple-ipad-pro