Good morning,

It looks to me (maybe I'm wrong) that is not possible to set some default settings to the crop tool. I'd like for example to have it always set on "Original Ratio" and with the "Darken Border" always checked, in order to speed up a basic process like cropping a bunch of catalog photos. I've found this intuitive option in every processing software I've used so far but can't figure it out here. 

Any ideas? If such a thing doesn't exist for AP it would be awesome to have it ASAP since it'll speed up the workflow, especially when working on several images.

Thanks 

Hi Massi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Affinity Photo Customer Beta, the crop tool settings (Darken, Reveal etc) are now sticky (except the Mode which is always set to Unconstrained) - at least on Mac - not sure if the changes were already ported to the latest Photo Beta for Windows as well. With that and the use of presets you should be able to speed up your workflow as you want.

Hi MEB,

thanks for the support. I'm using AP on Mac retina for almost a year now, my learning curve for this software is kinda intuitive since I'm coming from 10+ys of PS. Not too keen on using Beta on real productions, also I'm not familiar with these versions of AP so I guess I'll wait for the official update to be released. I'm really happy with the software but sometimes I just surprised to find some clumsy details on tools that should be user friendly by default.

Thanks 

On 2/20/2019 at 5:10 AM, MEB said:

Hi Massi,
In Affinity Photo Customer Beta, the crop tool settings (Darken, Reveal etc) are now sticky (except the Mode which is always set to Unconstrained) - at least on Mac - not sure if the changes were already ported to the latest Photo Beta for Windows as well. With that and the use of presets you should be able to speed up your workflow as you want.

Hello. I have the latest APhoto. How can I get the 'original ratio' option selected by default? I am cropping a lot of images and it is a pain to manually select that option every single time. Also when you leave the crop tool, then go back to it, it goes back to the default again.

1 hour ago, arial_bold said:

How can I get the 'original ratio' option selected by default?

I don't believe you can, at least in the Windows version. I don't know about the Mac version.  - Pity, I would prefer it default to original ratio too.

On 2/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, MEB said:

crop tool settings (Darken, Reveal etc) are now sticky (except the Mode which is always set to Unconstrained)

Also Mode should be sticky. Actually, it is the most important setting in Crop tool.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,
Currently there's no way to make it the default option. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Thank you. When you try to work on a massive amount of images fast this is a major problem. I'll use something else while waiting for the update.

I am new to Affinity Photo and am currently using the trial. I hopped on here to see how to set the crop default to Original Ratio because I have to select it EVERY time. I am shocked that there is no feature for this. I hope it will be added soon because this is at the top of my list of editing tools to select, but this shortcoming is a black eye.

19 hours ago, arial_bold said:

Thank you. When you try to work on a massive amount of images fast this is a major problem. I'll use something else while waiting for the update.

While at it, the perfect (?) options would be: default to Original ratio + Unconstrained when clicking on the alt key. When you let go the alt key your new ratio will be the new default, then maybe ctrl key to reverse back to original ratio of the file, etc. Just sharing ideas while you work on the update, but something like this would be massively productive.  You have a menu with plenty of well suited ratios already. Why not add the option of locking down your favorite preset ratio, in addition to Unconstrained and Original.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,
Currently there's no way to make it the default option. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Thanks MEB for the support, hope to see this feature on the next update. Also, a button to quickly invert the aspect ratio in between the 2 numbers (horizontal and vertical) would be awesome. Currently, if I select a standard crop of, i.e., 5x7 and I want a 7x5, I have to manually clear and re-type on both boxes. A single button (usually represented with 2 arrows going different directions) to invert them would speed up this tedious task.

Thank you