You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change Crop Tool Default Settings

• Staff

Hi Massi, borehed,
This is up to the management/dev team. I've updated/bumped the report to reflect the new release/version and (hopefully) bring this issue up again to dev's attention. I agree this should be sticky - unfortunately that's all i can do, sorry. 

@borehed,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Just now, MEB said:

Hi Massi, borehed,
This is up to the management/dev team. I've updated/bumped the report to reflect the new release/version and (hopefully) bring this issue up again to dev's attention. I agree this should be sticky - unfortunately that's all i can do, sorry. 

@borehed,

Thanks for bumping!

One more item that drives me crazy . . . maybe it's my age or maybe it is that it is that the process Serif decided on is completely unnatural . . . when I want to change from a landscape to portrait crop, the image rotates instead of the crop tool.

Is it possible to make this "natural"? You know, as in the tool turns instead of the image? When I do woodworking, I turn the saw to make a curved cut, not the wood.

I've never seen another graphics editing program rotate crops this way. Is there some sort of "logic" behind doing it this way that I missed?

• Staff

Hi See Again,
Seems to be working fine for me. Where are you seeing that behaviour? You are probably trying to rotate the crop frame using the corner "handles"of the crop frame, but the rotate handle is for the image specifically (if you move the cursor away from the handle you will see it still shows the rotate icon). You can only scale or move the crop frame using the crop frame handles. To change the orientation use the Rotate button as shown in the clip below.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Spidermarc,
Issue logged as an improvement request - it's up to managnement/development team decide if/when implemented. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi @borehed,
Tick the Reveal checkbox in the context toolbar with the Crop tool selected to reveal the cropped data (darkened) from a previous crop. In Develop Persona it should automatically show the cropped data darkened if you return to the Crop Tool after performing a crop.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi @Spidermarc,
Issue logged as an improvement request - it's up to managnement/development team decide if/when implemented. Thanks for your feedback.

Hi @borehed,
Tick the Reveal checkbox in the context toolbar with the Crop tool selected to reveal the cropped data (darkened) from a previous crop. In Develop Persona it should automatically show the cropped data darkened if you return to the Crop Tool after performing a crop.

Well, would you look at that! Thanks @MEB :) 

On 11/3/2020 at 12:33 AM, bananas said:

You can imagine how much extra movements it creates to change it every time...

6 hours ago, MEB said:

it's up to managnement/development team decide if/when implemented

Until this is fixed, as a workaround on Mac some of those annoyingly repetitive steps are scriptable via AppleScript's System Events.

The crop I change to original ratio

To switch to the Crop tool mode Original Ratio, the script goes like this:

tell application "System Events"
    tell application "Affinity Photo" to activate
    tell process "Affinity Photo"
        keystroke "c" --(switches to Crop tool)
        click pop up button 1 of window 1 --(opens the pop up menu)
        click menu item 2 of menu 1 of pop up button 1 of window 1 --(clicks the Original Ratio menu item)
    end tell
end tell

The app must not be in Separated mode and there must be no floating panels, otherwise this basic script doesn't recognize the main window as "window 1". (A floating panel is a window above the main one. So if there are 3 separately floating panels, the main window is "window 4". )
Also assumes that the Crop tool keyboard shortcut is "C".

You can save the script within an Automator Service workflow, make it available in Affinity Photo only, and assign a keyboard shortcut to it via System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services

In fact, it's so trivial that I just made the Automator workflow while typing this… :)
AffinityPhotoCropOriginalRatio_v1.0.workflow.zip
Expand the zip and put the *.workflow into: /Users/your_user_name/Library/Services

If there's no "Services" folder, simply create one.
If your Library folder is invisible (which it is by default) open it in Finder like this: hold the option key and click the Go menu, then it will appear in the list.

You may possibly need to allow Automator and Affinity Photo to be controlled via System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessibility. At least, while testing the workflow, I received an error and then a dialog window asking for this permission step.

Feel free to edit the workflow as you see fit. Works on El Capitan.

The healing tool I change to Current layer and Below

That would be almost the same script because coincidentally it's also "menu item 2 of menu 1 of pop up button 1 of window 1".
But it's trickier because possibly you have no unique keyboard shortcut for the tool. E.g. I'm using "J" (shift-J to switch) for all healing/repairing tools. You would have to change the Healing tool to a shortcut that you don't use elsewhere.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 3/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, Spidermarc said:

Please make the crop ratio mode sticky in the very next beta. The current situation is mega frustrating and the request is around since more than two years

I would love to see this also. I see it's been a long-term request.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A very useful (and much simpler) alternative to choosing a default crop mode would be this: Remember the last selected crop mode, and use that the next time.

So if I choose the 'keep aspect ratio' crop mode, this will be selected the next time I want to crop, until I choose another crop mode. Could it be simpler?

It should be quite simple to implement, since no extra UI code is required for this, only code to save the crop mode when it is changed. The UI isn't changed, only the behaviour.

What do you think?

Regards,
Stefan

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, henryg said:

2+ years and no action to allow crop tool to default to original ratio ☹️ PATHETIC frankly!

Yes. I like the suggestion to just stick at the last used crop settings. That's what my old photoshop version does. I'm using affinity photo more and more, but when I have to crop a bunch of photos to the same size, I pull up my old photoshop cs5! It's annoying to have to reset that over and over.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 10:53 AM, StefanSweden said:

A very useful (and much simpler) alternative to choosing a default crop mode would be this: Remember the last selected crop mode, and use that the next time.

So if I choose the 'keep aspect ratio' crop mode, this will be selected the next time I want to crop, until I choose another crop mode. Could it be simpler?

Yup, this please

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

This is by way of a 'bump' as it seems to be a few years now and the consensus seems to be to make the crop ratio 'sticky', but still no action as far as I can tell. Why is this taking so long?! Thanks.

• 1 month later...

3 years gone and no improvement. You see how a lot of tools/features have the same problem/limitation, nothing is sticky on this App, and depending on the task you need to do, you could literally waste a huge amount of time. 

Far from being a professional and reliable software, specially on iPad. 

If you developers could just listen to your customers once in a while....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 on this feature, just to bump in Nov. 2022. Either being able to define a default or implementing a sticky setting would be perfect as others have mentioned. Come on product team—this can't be more than a small user story for the devs. Please get this out of the backlog.

• 3 weeks later...