You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change Crop Tool Default Settings

Good morning,

It looks to me (maybe I'm wrong) that is not possible to set some default settings to the crop tool. I'd like for example to have it always set on "Original Ratio" and with the "Darken Border" always checked, in order to speed up a basic process like cropping a bunch of catalog photos. I've found this intuitive option in every processing software I've used so far but can't figure it out here. 

Any ideas? If such a thing doesn't exist for AP it would be awesome to have it ASAP since it'll speed up the workflow, especially when working on several images.

Thanks 

• Staff

Hi Massi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In Affinity Photo Customer Beta, the crop tool settings (Darken, Reveal etc) are now sticky (except the Mode which is always set to Unconstrained) - at least on Mac - not sure if the changes were already ported to the latest Photo Beta for Windows as well. With that and the use of presets you should be able to speed up your workflow as you want.

Hi MEB,

thanks for the support. I'm using AP on Mac retina for almost a year now, my learning curve for this software is kinda intuitive since I'm coming from 10+ys of PS. Not too keen on using Beta on real productions, also I'm not familiar with these versions of AP so I guess I'll wait for the official update to be released. I'm really happy with the software but sometimes I just surprised to find some clumsy details on tools that should be user friendly by default.

Thanks 

• 7 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:10 AM, MEB said:

Hi Massi,
In Affinity Photo Customer Beta, the crop tool settings (Darken, Reveal etc) are now sticky (except the Mode which is always set to Unconstrained) - at least on Mac - not sure if the changes were already ported to the latest Photo Beta for Windows as well. With that and the use of presets you should be able to speed up your workflow as you want.

Hello. I have the latest APhoto. How can I get the 'original ratio' option selected by default? I am cropping a lot of images and it is a pain to manually select that option every single time. Also when you leave the crop tool, then go back to it, it goes back to the default again.

1 hour ago, arial_bold said:

How can I get the 'original ratio' option selected by default?

I don't believe you can, at least in the Windows version. I don't know about the Mac version.  - Pity, I would prefer it default to original ratio too.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

On 9/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,
Currently there's no way to make it the default option. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Thank you. When you try to work on a massive amount of images fast this is a major problem. I'll use something else while waiting for the update.

I am new to Affinity Photo and am currently using the trial. I hopped on here to see how to set the crop default to Original Ratio because I have to select it EVERY time. I am shocked that there is no feature for this. I hope it will be added soon because this is at the top of my list of editing tools to select, but this shortcoming is a black eye.

19 hours ago, arial_bold said:

Thank you. When you try to work on a massive amount of images fast this is a major problem. I'll use something else while waiting for the update.

While at it, the perfect (?) options would be: default to Original ratio + Unconstrained when clicking on the alt key. When you let go the alt key your new ratio will be the new default, then maybe ctrl key to reverse back to original ratio of the file, etc. Just sharing ideas while you work on the update, but something like this would be massively productive.  You have a menu with plenty of well suited ratios already. Why not add the option of locking down your favorite preset ratio, in addition to Unconstrained and Original.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,
Currently there's no way to make it the default option. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Thanks MEB for the support, hope to see this feature on the next update. Also, a button to quickly invert the aspect ratio in between the 2 numbers (horizontal and vertical) would be awesome. Currently, if I select a standard crop of, i.e., 5x7 and I want a 7x5, I have to manually clear and re-type on both boxes. A single button (usually represented with 2 arrows going different directions) to invert them would speed up this tedious task.

Thank you

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,

Hi,

I see no progress so far, a new AP version was released with new features but also (as usual) without improving the old limitations...  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Massi, arial_bold,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. There's already an improvement request filled on our log to make the Crop Mode in the Crop Tool sticky (besides this request in the Feedback for Affinity Photo on Desktop section). It's now up with the dev team to decide if/when implement it. I've bumped it up to bring this to the devs attention again.

What other limitations have you found? There's already a button to switch the crop orientation. The other options (Darken, Reveal etc) are all sticky as well. You didn't mention any other issues or am i missing something?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 4:40 AM, MEB said:

Hi arial_bold,

Came in her looking for the answer that I needed, and it's like the door was slammed in my face.

I actually do production (sometimes over ONE HUNDRED images a day) for an automotive dealership. I need to be able to crop them and the resulting image always be in the "Original Ratio" so that the final resizing can be automated. Otherwise, the tires (or tyres if you're across the pond) and body of the vehicles come out wider / shorter than they should --- be or narrower / taller than they should be.

Yeah, I can set up a custom ratio, but would be so much easier if I could simply select the crop tool, crop the image, apply my LUT and save.

Might even have time away from my computer to do crazy things like eat lunch.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm also waiting for this feature. And it's going to be great not just for the crop tool but everywhere when there is an extra select. Having a user to decide what is their default choice can improve usability drastically. There are currently three tools I change all the time from the default one:

• The crop I change to original ratio
  • The healing tool I change to Current layer and Below
  • The gradient when on the mask I change to black from grey

I need to do these three actions on pretty much every image I open. You can imagine how much extra movements it creates to change it every time...

Besides this UX issue your app is so amazing, I am really enjoying it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 10:16 AM, Massi said:

Good morning,

It looks to me (maybe I'm wrong) that is not possible to set some default settings to the crop tool. I'd like for example to have it always set on "Original Ratio" and with the "Darken Border" always checked, in order to speed up a basic process like cropping a bunch of catalog photos. I've found this intuitive option in every processing software I've used so far but can't figure it out here. 

Any ideas? If such a thing doesn't exist for AP it would be awesome to have it ASAP since it'll speed up the workflow, especially when working on several images.

Thanks 

On 7/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, MEB said:

Hi mlx,
No, this setting is still not sticky. There's already an improvement request filled with the dev team but it's still open. I've bumped it to bring it up to devs attention.

Just updated to 1.9. No progress. 

• 2 weeks later...