You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

facing page text frames retain old position when inserting single page

I have set up master page for facing page book with inner margins different to outer margins and have several linked text boxes. Problem occurs if you insert a single page. those frames that were oringinally on a right page retain their right page position when moved to a left page by that insertion. which apparently means that I have to manually reposition all text frames and images etc. from that position on. Am I missing something obvious?

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Papatez,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is the expected behaviour. When you insert a new page, it will shift everything by one page. This does not mean that the objects/contents will be re-framed to accommodate the new margins. 

I will move this to feature requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@Papatez Thanks for bringing this up.  This was driving me crazy the other day.  When you have a facing page layout, the spread controls list an inner and outer margin, That makes perfect sense.  I have Master page layouts for a First page, Left-hand pages, and Right-hand pages where the inner margin is wider than the outer margin.  At first, the pages are laid out correctly.  Then I inserted a new Left-Hand page and it kept the Righ-Hand page layout. 

@GabrielM--The problem I have with that expected behavior is that it doesn't make sense that the application would pick a layout that is not equal to the side of the document the page is being added to.  When I added a Right-hand page, the margins were placed where they should be.  The spread controls already have the layout for the Left and Right pages, shouldn't it automatically pick the correct one in the Spread?  Personally, I think this is a bug and not a new feature.

23 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Papatez,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is the expected behaviour. When you insert a new page, it will shift everything by one page. This does not mean that the objects/contents will be re-framed to accommodate the new margins. 

I will move this to feature requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I would like to add my vote for this to be addressed as a new feature in the future.    Anybody who is writing a long document will probably have many occasions when there is a need to add new material somewhere within the document.  Pasting new material into existing text frames and counting on text flow isn’t always the best option.    I have experienced this too.   Publisher is already wonderful!    It will surely be even more so as time goes by.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9