You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's the little things

VectorVonDoom

that sometimes make me happy.  I managed to spend a good couple of hours on a screw but wanted it to look just like the original (the background's just blocked in).  The wireframe doesn't even look that complicated, well I suppose it does for a screw, but it still takes time. It's full size from a 7216x5412 canvas. I was intending this one to be a quickie but somehow it doesn't often turn out that way with me. Now it's time to do a bit of work in the dark so I can see where the feint parts are.

screw.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

You can do but you won't get a prize as I've already said somewhere, not that you would have got one anyway! I'm not ignoring Venus, I spent the weekend on it, but nothing new was finished. As that's going to take so long, so very long,  I need some mini'ish projects too.

I found this list (there are a few pages) of photorealistic artists that was interesting to look up their work, I didn't recognise all the names. Although I don't see how some listed could be classed as photorealistic artists unless you've never seen a photo or the real thing (a pet hate of mine).  All have more talent in their little finger than the whole of me of course so I can't complain too much.

https://www.widewalls.ch/artist-style/photorealism/

I'm starting to think that trying to do anything like that as vector must be the slowest way possible.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

4 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

All have more talent in their little finger than the whole of me of course so I can't complain too much.

I think you shouldn't put yourself down. I would say your work would fit in there flawlessly.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

On 2/19/2019 at 10:22 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

but somehow it doesn't often turn out that way

Try turning it anti-clockwise, it should turn out fine, if you're struggling a bit of WD40 will help ;-)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 2/20/2019 at 4:29 PM, VectorVonDoom said:

I'm starting to think that trying to do anything like that as vector must be the slowest way possible.

It is , mate... I thought you did find in the weirdness of picking not the right tool for the right task some form of strange pleasure....

The stuff of this type is tons better if done in raster.... I say, is much closer in procedure ( I should know...I'd use an entire summer for painting some whatever thing, to make it hyper realistic using oils over canvas.... )  how you'd do with brushes in a raster app like Photo. 

That said... my personal take... if you enjoy it, and are happy, great... But imo, hyper realism is a bit overrated, even while I'm certainly not in favor of abstract or any anti figurative movement, quite the opposite... But kind of going more for the capability of generating stuff from memory, training the ability of drawing perspective, anatomy, lighting, etc... reality, from imagination without using a model, and so, being able to build any reality... (even if "only" realistic, just not hyper realistic) , that, in some ways has a ton of advantages.... 

One thing is not more valid than the other. I personally think you can tell better a personal story with the latter approach, but hyper realism still leaves room for a ton of your artistic take, just like photography does. (just that painting can be a ton more flexible/ capable). And is not technically easier, I'd say is way harder to do than hyper realism...

Not demeaning hyper realism, I've been 100% in that style for many years, specially during college (Fine Arts). I still love it, I just decided a route that I thought allowed me better to tell a story. (not necessarily comics, also illustration, etc). Drawing and painting from memory, making the piece in coherent style. That said, I don't feel the urge of making everything in a certain style, so that people would recognize me by the style. I prefer that each piece can have a different message, but I don't want the constraint of a self imposed style. Of course, that's a terrible move if wanna make money, but hey....

Anyway, all the above is heavily opinionated, arguable as heck, and surely only shared by a 1% of illustrators and general drawing and painting people in the world... So, I hope you skipped the read.  :D

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I disagree that the right tool is raster, it may be easier for some things but it's not as simple as right or wrong. I also disagree it's always better as in better quality. Most of the quality is down to the person not the app. Of course there are some effects that would be very hard or impossible to do in vector but then you know the advantages of vector over raster.  Anyway all of that doesn't really matter, I do it for this sort of stuff for fun and being difficult is part of that, if it's too easy then that isn't my idea of fun.  I've always been impressed with people who create photorealistic art and tried it to see if I could get anywhere close. I'm sure some people don't like the style but there are styles I dislike, all this flat stuff for example. But it doesn't matter if I like it or not as long as they enjoy creating it (in anything they want), there's plenty of other stuff to look at. I might get bored of it sometime and do other stuff but for now I enjoy it.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Isn't hyper-realistic an oxymoron?

Different tools for different effects, if you are skilled enough in the art of vector drawing, I dare bet you would have a hard time distinguishing a vector from a raster if the drawings were the same subject.

Had you not told anyone that the above drawing was in fact a vector I would not have known.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Most call It photo realistic/realism. I've read two differing things regarding hyper realism. One was that it depends on the country and language, some call it one thing others the other but it's the same. The other thing I read was that the hyper realistic artists add detail above and beyond what a camera can capture. That's a bit vague. If they mean add bits that aren't really there to improve it, say a nicer reflection or combine more than one image, then fine. If they mean simply more detail than a photo then that's obviously nonsense. Remember the arty farty type can talk forever about a canvas painted a single colour so I tend to ignore them. It is what it is.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Yeah, I only mentioned it as I thought it'd be easier with a raster tool, but that might only be the case for me.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.