serpenteagle

X-Axis Grid Gutter not Working Right?

So when setting the gutter for a grid, the behaviour for the first and second axis grids are different.

For the first axis, the gutter is not set on the origin side, but for the second axis, it is. I attached a screenshot for clarification: 

I'm using Metal instead of OpenGL since it was glitchy.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 5.06.56 PM.png

1 hour ago, serpenteagle said:

So when setting the gutter for a grid, the behaviour for the first and second axis grids are different.

For the first axis, the gutter is not set on the origin side, but for the second axis, it is. 

Click -90º for the second axis' angle. I am assuming you mean 0,0 for the origin. This sure seems like a bug, I have forgotten the little math & geometry I used to know.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

13 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Click -90º for the second axis' angle. I am assuming you mean 0,0 for the origin. This sure seems like a bug, I have forgotten the little math & geometry I used to know.

Ah there we go. I am a web designer by trade, so I am used to the positive Y axis being flipped (Origin at top left, not bottom left.) Thanks!

Also, is there a way to have the gutter take effect on the margins as well? Or is there a different setting for that?

Be aware that I am sure this is a bug, no official word yet but just my gut feeling. There are other things in the guides which will come up and bite you so try to not rely on them too much. For instance I have had them just 'float' around depending on the % view and what you see is not related to what is there. I do hope this is just me being a bit too wary.

17 minutes ago, serpenteagle said:

Also, is there a way to have the gutter take effect on the margins as well? Or is there a different setting for that?

I don't understand what you mean by "...take effect on the margins..."

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Be aware that I am sure this is a bug, no official word yet but just my gut feeling. There are other things in the guides which will come up and bite you so try to not rely on them too much. For instance I have had them just 'float' around depending on the % view and what you see is not related to what is there. I do hope this is just me being a bit too wary.

I don't understand what you mean by "...take effect on the margins..."

Right now when I set the gutter, there is no space between the line and the edge of the artboard on the origin sides. I want to be able to control the amount of space between the start of the grid and the edge of the artboard. 

See the image for clarification; the blue lines are where I want the grid lines to be.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 7.03.53 PM.png

Okay, offset, No sorry to say.

and your next post No sorry to say.

The Beta of Designer took out the columns (for some unknown reason) in the grid manager but put them in in the Guides manager. If you haven't taken a look at Designer beta I suggest you should because I think with the Guides you could get to where you want to be.

Hi both,

We are aware of this issue. Basically, metal is causing the gutter to be off-centre. 

I don't know if we are going to bring the gutter back in the future, as it has been currently replaced by the columns.

Thanks,

Gabe.

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi both,

We are aware of this issue. Basically, metal is causing the gutter to be off-centre. 

I don't know if we are going to bring the gutter back in the future, as it has been currently replaced by the columns.

Thanks,

Gabe.

Is there a display option that is regarded to be the most stable? Because OpenGL was also buggy with grids. Thats why I switched to metal.

The order you see in that list is their order based on performance/dispalay. Fastest(but less quality) setting would be on the top, while Slower(but better quality) would be on the bottom. 

5 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

The order you see in that list is their order based on performance/dispalay. Fastest(but less quality) setting would be on the top, while Slower(but better quality) would be on the bottom. 

I tried all the options, and it seems like "software" is the only one that gets grids right.

However, that option is so unbearably slow, it's like working on a computer from 50 years ago lol.

I'm really liking the columns option in the beta.

However, the grids are still buggy on the default option (OpenGL) in the beta too. Has this already been adressed in an inside update?

2 minutes ago, serpenteagle said:

However, the grids are still buggy on the default option (OpenGL) in the beta too. Has this already been adressed in an inside update?

If you expand on this, I can have a look for you :)

Just now, GabrielM said:

If you expand on this, I can have a look for you :)

When I adjust the vertical grid spacing in the settings, it does not spread out from the origin. As a result, the grid cells at the top and bottom are cut off by the edge of the artboard, even though the values are perfect multiples of the artboard. Switching to metal solves this issue.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.11.24 AM.png