You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggested revisions to the "Lock children" feature

I would like to suggest some revisions to the "Lock children" feature, that admittedly cater to how I would prefer to work, but I image it would be generally good for all.

1. Hold "Alt" while dragging grips to temporarily toggle the default behaviour set by the checkbox AND/OR, add the ability to assign a keyboard shortcut to toggle the setting.

2. Have optional sub-settings, similar to snaps drop-down, which would allow people to choose what is locked, when locking is on. (Position, Rotation, Stretch/Scale [+lock aspect], Skew... perhaps even similar options for affecting fill gradients and patterns)

The reason for this is that I almost always want children to move and rotate with the parent, but almost never want them to alter their size, or rotation, or skew. Yet with the current setup, I find myself constantly needing to toggle the setting even though my needs almost never change.

Thanks for considering this idea, and thanks for a great product!!

• 4 months later...

hmm... no traction, eh?

Does this idea fall flat or am i doing things wrong coz a solution already exists?

I'd love to know how others are managing the need to "lock" skew, aspect/scale, but "unlock" position, and rotation of children. Do you just toggle constantly?

Lock Children is a pain at the moment.

On my modest screen (1920px by 1280px) the toggle is often off the edge, so I have to first click the toolbar extender, and then the toggle itself. All of which takes me away from the canvas and task at hand.

• A keypress would help greatly.
    • Either a modifier key. It couldn't be Alt as thet ignores snapping pretty much everywhere with every tool, so something else… I'd even accept the rather odd Left and Right mouse button!
    • Or an assignable shortcut.
  • A toolbar button that I could place on the main toolbar, so that it is always visible and in the same place would be great.
  • Perhaps put the toggle in the Transform Panel since that is usually visible?
    • This is inline with accessing the Transform Center by clicking twice on the Anchor Point Selector.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro