You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reporting Localisation issues in Mac Publisher Beta #249

• Staff

The current Affinity Publisher Mac public beta #249 has all UI locales available, (and is no longer restricted to UK English since #238).

In the app menu, Preferences > General you can choose any of the 10 languages, restart the application and experience Affinity Publisher in that locale.

We do not expect to have got all the localisation correct yet and possibly we are not using the standard terms, so if you see any words or phrases that are out of the ordinary, or are clipped/cropped short in the MacOS build PLEASE report them in this thread, stating the language and version you are running and what OS you are seeing the problem on.

Use this thread (Do not make new threads) unless you are seeing a bug that does not happen in English, so Bugs in new threads, localisation issues in this thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This is probably a suggestion that may sound strange at first glance, but I hope you will see the logic in it. Suppose someone wants to change the application language from English to German, and they don’t speak English. I admit they would have to find the preferences setting for making the intended change. However, as a matter of consistency and user friendliness, I would suggest that the restart warning that is displayed after changing the localisation should be presented in the language that has been selected from the menu below.

• Reason 1. The menu lists the names of the available languages in the language itself (“Deutsch” instead of “German”).
  • Reason 2. Restarting the app can be destructive for open documents.

Thanks for considering,

Alex :)

Warning.png.b0cd03e2eecd2d258d49840b88f66e62.png  Menu.png.a6be61e1798049e0a4fa84cd01040262.png

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, A_B_C said:

This is probably a suggestion that may sound strange at first glance, but I hope you will see the logic in it. Suppose someone wants to change the application language from English to German, and they don’t speak English. I admit they would have to find the preferences setting for making the intended change. However, as a matter of consistency and user friendliness, I would suggest that the restart warning that is displayed after changing the localisation should be presented in the language that has been selected from the menu below.

• Reason 1. The menu lists the names of the available languages in the language itself (“Deutsch” instead of “German”).
  • Reason 2. Restarting the app can be destructive for open documents.

Thanks for considering,

Alex :)

Warning.png.b0cd03e2eecd2d258d49840b88f66e62.png  Menu.png.a6be61e1798049e0a4fa84cd01040262.png

When you first use the program it will be in the language of your system (in our case in German, not English) - and when you switch the language by error to i.e. Chinese, you are not able to read this message. ;-) So, I think there is no perfect solution. For all scenarios, the message should appear in 2 languages: the old and the new one. 

For "Layer -> Rasterize..." in the German UI "Ebene -> Rastern...", there is no popup settings panel for this option, thus generally remove the "..." here, since it is otherwise misleading!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Why the gaps here on the search/replace textboxes? - Both of these textboxes have an inside inner left side gap, will there be some future button on those places/added later or why these gaps at all?

textbox_filled_gap.jpg.872fdeee62ccc363ff6dcd50bd6ee3bb.jpg

When used those first time It felt strange that typed in text didn't made use of the whole inner textbox region then, even the blue selection suggerates more usable space here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

7 minutes ago, Pauls said:

there should be an icon in those gaps

There are actually no icons on those in the German UI.

27 minutes ago, Pebowski said:

Interesting. I can see the icons in the German version.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-27 um 21.44.47.png

The Mac or Win version? - I don't have those on OSX El Capitan here with the default APub dark UI.

search_replace.jpg.6e8ae5a0662bcfdc4b0c9d11a1a0e21f.jpg

So these should then usually be instead dropdown boxes with a little history mechanism of the last entered/used search/replace text.

36 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The Mac or Win version? - I don't have those on OSX El Capitan here with the default APub dark UI.

search_replace.jpg.6e8ae5a0662bcfdc4b0c9d11a1a0e21f.jpg

So these should then usually be instead dropdown boxes with a little history mechanism of the last entered/used search/replace text.

What happens if you click in the far left of the boxes, do you get the list of 'useful' things to search for? I don't get a "...little history mechanism..." just the aforementioned list of useful things like Tab, Paragraph returns, various spaces & dashes.

281001706_fr.thumb.jpeg.55beeda0f90099294de478b8088b13ef.jpeg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

LOL nothing happens here with those text search/replace boxes so far, no shown icons and no dropdown lists to choose from.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.