You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.7.0.243 Issue / comments

I started using Photo 1.7.0.243

So far my issues / comments are:

1) My Canon 77D is now meant to be included in this release yet RAW photos are not visible as thumbnails when I try to 'open' a folder. Am I missing something? This is the main reason I thought I'd try out the beta version.

2) The hand tool used to increase / decrease the image size when twirling the mouse dial, now it moves the image around. Is this a permanent change?

3) Cropping no longer has presets. Do I need to set these up & if so, how? Basic ones like 2:3 & 1:1 would be useful.

I haven't done much yet so might add some more comments later.

Thanks

Julie.

1) The display of thumbnails is a function of Windows, using codecs supplied by Microsoft or by you. It is not a function of Affinity Photo. Canon may supply a codec pack (probably free) that you could install that would show the thumbnails, or there low-cost codecs available that may handle your camera format. What is added in 1.7 is support to process (Develop) raw images from an additional set of cameras, so that you can work with the images from those cameras.

2) In both 1.6 and 1.7, for me, with the View Tool (the hand) selected, the mouse wheel pans the document. By default up/down, but with shift pressed left/right. However, with Ctrl pressed it zooms. There is, however, a Preference for Tools, that says "Use mouse wheel to zoom." Perhaps you enabled that preference in 1.6 but did not enable it in 1.7?

3) Cropping still has presets. You'll find them behind the Presets icon on the Context menubar:

crop-presets.png.1988e6a0c77b61e7b7bcd51b99163b6e.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt, you're brilliant, ta!

1) Canon have stopped providing individual codecs like this now - everything's incorporated into DPP which explains why I can see them when using that SW. Another forum reply re this sort of thing I have just found mentioned FastPictureViewer which one has to pay for & it's a one use licence & considering I plan on getting a new laptop soon is a bit of a bummer. I don't know of MS providing any free codecs? I have discovered FastStone & guess I can use that to preview RAW images before opening in Affinity. I guess that I'll have to keep using FastStone but can not bother with DPP for the RAW conversion!

2) Great, ta. Have updated the preference. I must have done that with 1.6?

3) I'd never noticed that little wheel. I'll start using it now! I notice it's only for the Photo persona (& not Develop) but can crop in Photo so that's fine.

Thanks so much!

BTW, do you have any ideas on a suitable laptop (Windows 10 I guess) that works well with Affinity? I know I need as much RAM as possible. My current one (Lenovo Win 7) is struggling. It has 8gb RAM & was high spec when I bought it 6 years ago!

Julie :-)

On 2/20/2019 at 12:32 PM, juliep said:

1) Canon have stopped providing individual codecs like this now - everything's incorporated into DPP which explains why I can see them when using that SW. Another forum reply re this sort of thing I have just found mentioned FastPictureViewer which one has to pay for & it's a one use licence & considering I plan on getting a new laptop soon is a bit of a bummer. I don't know of MS providing any free codecs? I have discovered FastStone & guess I can use that to preview RAW images before opening in Affinity. I guess that I'll have to keep using FastStone but can not bother with DPP for the RAW conversion!

Hi Julie,

The latest Microsoft codec is here. But it is 5 years old ...
I am using an old free version of FastPictureViewer codec pack (hard to find on the Internet) which still works very well with Windows 10 and for new cameras.

Explorateur - 77D.jpg

On 2/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, juliep said:

Up until around mid 2016, camera codecs were added to Windows 10 automatically by Microsoft via Windows Update, which meant Windows File Explorer would display Canon CR2 raw files natively without the user needing to do anything.

For some reason Microsoft stopped updating the codecs around mid 2016 (I think Windows 10 (1607) was the last version that contained the latest camera codecs).  Therefore, Windows File Explorer on Windows 10 machines will natively display raw files for cameras up to the Canon 80D (which was announced 2016 Quarter 2), but it won't display 5D Mk IV or later (which was announced 2016 Quarter 3). 

The 77D was announced in 2017 Quarter 1, therefore Windows File Explorer won't display thumbnails (or metadata) for it natively.  Canon don't provide a codec to download either, which as you've found means at the moment you would need to install third-party codecs in order to see them in Windows File Explorer.

However, for machines running Windows 10, Microsoft are going to add additional camera raw codecs to Windows 10 via an extension—where they can be updated independently from the OS.  It's not available for the current general release version of Windows 10 (17763, 1809), however a beta version of the extension has been added to the Microsoft Store for Windows insiders running insider build 18323 or later.  I'm not in the insider program therefore I don't know whether or not it's fully functional yet. Hopefully, it will be ready for the next Windows feature update (19H1), which should be released sometime in the first half of this year.

Details of the beta extension for Windows insiders can be found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/p/raw-image-extension/9nctdw2w1bh8

Raw Image Extension (Beta)

PLEASE NOTE – thanks for your interest in the Raw Image Extension (Beta). It is currently in development for a future version of Windows and requires Windows Insider build 18323 or later. 

The Raw Image Extension adds native viewing support for images captured in raw file formats produced by many mid- to high-end digital cameras. By installing the package, you will be able to view thumbnails and metadata of supported raw file formats right in Windows File Explorer or view images in the Photos app. The current version of the extension supports a long list of cameras, however some Raw formats like .CR3, and .GPR are not currently supported at this time. 

This package is made possible thanks to libraw open source project (https://www.libraw.org). Check out https://www.libraw.org/supported-cameras for a list of supported cameras. Libraw library is licensed under COMMON DEVELOPMENT AND DISTRIBUTION LICENSE Version 1.0 (CDDL-1.0).

• 1 month later...

Thanks so much S & I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you.

I have been using FastStone Image Viewer & am finding it very helpful.

By the time I get around to buying a new Windows 10 laptop, the SW release might be in place so that would be great.

I am really loving AP!

Julie.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.