You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Posing daughter

Lovemonkey

I agree. The original needed some serious editing to color, saturation, and so forth; you did a nice job. As a further suggestion, I think the post-edit image still has a magenta cast to it. I would also bring up the shadows a little. I downloaded your edited image and (i) brought down the Magenta saturation using an HSL adjustment; and (ii) applied the Shadows and Highlights filter to lighten up the shadows. This is my result:

9EE39B6E-2188-430F-9161-8CC83A8EFD93.thumb.jpeg.40d104e26b2f3526966763317258880e.jpeg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Have to say this.

I really like the original more than the edits. Whoops. Sorry about that.

The only thing I would have done would be crop to portrait and use a slight over sharpen for the web.

Good image looking what it is - living room and a cooperative sibling.

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

2 minutes ago, Sharkey said:

I really like the original more than the edits.

I’m inclined to agree! The original has a lot of warmth which is knocked out by the edits.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Great eye contact, the eyes could do with some catchlights, this would have been even better with a ring flash on the lens.

Some small catchlights added to the eyes.
215013819_ScreenShot2019-02-23at17_24_28.png.39a8e9378e6608a79cb4897b0d4dd983.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Great eye contact, the eyes could do with some catchlights

Her left eye is in shadow and her right eye already had a catchlight. Having said that, your additional catchlights are nicely done. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The color in his editing looks more natural, though.  I don't know which camera it was, but often consumer grade cameras with interior lighting (bulbs..and most are yellowish ones, warm bulbs, rarely is a 6500k bulb) made at night, don't provide natural skin/hair color unless done very professionally. (not saying the girl's colors are 100% natural, but an improve)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I think the first one's colouring adds interest and goes with the subject, kids are all about bright colours, I think it's a good analogy of how most kids see the world. 

To me the colour correction looks insipid in comparison and really doesn't fit the subject, I suppose technically it may be correct but artistically its wrong.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

That's quite subjective....  ;)  I mean, I do like more, artistically his take.  That saturated warm colors might favor a particular vibe does not make less interesting that very natural/personal other gamma. Maybe it's more "her". Maybe shows better her personality/expression...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

The first edit was to me OK-ish.

The second edit (working from the first) however left grey streaks because of the desaturation used to remove the 'magenta caste'.

I realise this is all subjective.

I would therefor not dream to try to do better as that is also 'subjective'.

Realism, character, accuracy, point of the image capture; are three variables that are all up for opinion and on line comparison is usually disastrous anyway.

I would have advised a little general desaturation of the young ladies face/ hair and a little sharpening round the eyes (not just the eye itself).

Selecting a different colour balance may have also been a little more subtle.

If the cushion (right middle) is in fact white and accuracy was a target then selecting that area as a visual aid when changing the colour temperature might also assist.

Regards

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Thanks everyone for the feed back, the camera used was Lumix GX800 (micro 3/4) with my prime lens, I was playing about with my manual settings trying to get the feel of it.

What  I did was pretty quick edit on my IPad while sitting at my desk at work, Ive been watching one of the AP courses on Udmey and decided to give it a quick try,

to see how quick it was to change things to get it looking more to my liking.