You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to hide a bounding box?

7 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

R C-R there is only one bounding box, but there are sometimes multiple frames shown.  I believe this is what NKC is seeing.

I think you may be right about that but of course that only happens when multiple objects are selected, which from what I can tell from what I quoted is when @NKC knows they do need to be seen.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

which from what I can tell from what I quoted is when @NKC knows they do need to be seen.

I agree, most of the times.  Once in awhile it gets in the way and it would be great to be able to turn off the bounding box and frames.  I agree most of the time I'd want the boxes showing.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

2 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Once in awhile it gets in the way and it would be great to be able to turn off the bounding box and frames. 

Not to be more dense than normal but what do the frames & bounding box get in the way of? I can't think of any time I do not what to know what is selected before doing anything to my document; otherwise, I am likely to do it to the wrong thing(s) & may not even notice that until much later, if at all.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not to be more dense than normal but what do the frames & bounding box get in the way of? I can't think of any time I do not what to know what is selected before doing anything to my document; otherwise, I am likely to do it to the wrong thing(s) & may not even notice that until much later, if at all.

I think what people who want this feature want is to simply look at the whole design without any non design elements visible. Select something and change the colour with no blue box getting in the way of seeing how the change is visually. Fitting shapes to fill a particular area with a ... how do I say it... certain 'weight' to balance elements. It is when you are dealing with subtleties that the bounding box can be distracting.

Myself I don't care, I can ignore a lot of stuff, but I can imagine situations where it would ruin the 'flow' of working.

An example for me is the use of a light grey coloured grid, drives me mad. Makes the whole page look bad. Pink, green or red I have no problem with that. Just the way I am wired to my eyes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I can't think of any time I do not what to know what is selected before doing anything to my document;

I guess most often the layers panel would tell in a quite unambiguous way – for those who insist in a clean layout view.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:53 AM, NKC said:

I want the ability to check a tick box to hide bounding boxes permanently.

There was this recent idea by @Lagarto: Put all objects in a parent Layer layer + set its UI color to the background color, e.g. paper white. Tata…

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I think what people who want this feature want is to simply look at the whole design without any non design elements visible. Select something and change the colour with no blue box getting in the way of seeing how the change is visually.

I can understand that to a point, but there is still the issue of not knowing if there is more selected than just the element(s) one wants to alter. So maybe an alternative that would work is to extend the function of the "Hide Selection while Dragging" button to hide the bounding box during any change, including changing colors & anything else where the box might be considered a distraction?

Affinity Photo 

APub shows all bounding boxes (without handles) of all frame-text objects – unless you have "Preview Mode" activated.

Thanks Thomaso. I'll be working in Preview Mode from now on.

Appreciate your feedback guys. Thank you.

8 hours ago, NKC said:

APub shows all bounding boxes (without handles) of all frame-text objects – unless you have "Preview Mode" activated.

That is not quite true. It is controlled by the View > Show Text Flow option. And that's very handy for being able to easily tell that some text frame has overflowing text, even when the frame is not selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, R C-R said:

So maybe an alternative that would work is to extend the function of the "Hide Selection while Dragging" button to hide the bounding box during any change, including changing colors & anything else where the box might be considered a distraction?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any place that that wouldn't take care of it. 

One of the biggest problems I have with the bounding box is when woking with a gradient trying to match colors adjacent to another area.  The blue line does not let me visualize the actual difference/sameness of the two areas.  But hiding the bounding box would hide the gradient's handles and these must be seen to use them.  The handles can be easily moved out of the area so they don't really affect the view.  But the blue line (of the bounding box) can't be removed during any adjustment.  If the spacebar is pressed before grabbing the handle then the handle can not be grabbed.  If the spacebar is pressed after grabbing the handle then it is ignored.  I don't think any of the workarounds work for this except creating a New View.  If as you suggest above, the bounding box were made invisible during adjustment that would be great.  But the handles should be kept visible so their placement can be seen during the adjustment.  Actually this would be true frequently for any handle of any bounding box being adjusted.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

7 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

If as you suggest above, the bounding box were made invisible during adjustment that would be great.  But the handles should be kept visible so their placement can be seen during the adjustment.  Actually this would be true frequently for any handle of any bounding box being adjusted.

What I am suggesting is the bounding box (including its handles) would be hidden only while the change is being made, & only if the (now functionally extended) "Hide" button is enabled. I am not sure why one would need to see the handles while they arte being dragged but if that is desired then just not enabling the "Hide" button should suffice, right?

Affinity Photo 

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 9:09 PM, Old Bruce said:

I think what people who want this feature want is to simply look at the whole design without any non design elements visible. Select something and change the colour with no blue box getting in the way of seeing how the change is visually. Fitting shapes to fill a particular area with a ... how do I say it... certain 'weight' to balance elements. It is when you are dealing with subtleties that the bounding box can be distracting.

Yes, it is awfully distracting, and I can't believe that this nuisance can't be completely switched off? 

There are people who are sufficiently proficient to know where their objects end. Come on!

• 6 months later...

Another instance where holding down the spacebar gets in the way is whenever the attribute you're changing is entered in a text field, e.g., trying on fonts by hovering over a font in the drop-down selection menu, or if you're entering precise pixel or percentage values manually, such as for outer or inner object shadows.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that this is a super important feature, and something I really miss switching from Photoshop.  Holding space bar down while nudging with the arrow keys seems to work as a workaround, but it would be great to be able to hit H or ctrl + H and literally hide everything that's not your actual pixels.

• 9 months later...