You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying an Astronomical process to a terrestrial Image

John Rostron

In a recent posting in the Questions forum, @SAW asked about translating a Photoshop algorithm for astronomical photos into Affinity procedures. I was able to suggest a suitable translation. I did wonder what the effect of this algorithm would be on an non-astronomical image. I had a photo of a stained-glass church window (a HDR merge of three exposures). This had an interesting effect since the picture on the window shone through onto the wall at the side.

Briefly, the procedure was to duplicate the image and blend the top layed using Luminosity, then, in the lower layer, add two adjustment layers to increase the spread of pixel values (Levels) and increase the saturation (HSL). Here are the results, before and after.

1680301048_EastWindoHDR20pc.jpg.7a4d98f1c7fb95f78725f4dde2122468.jpg  1360808397_EastWindoHDRSat-Lum20pc.jpg.627f0f75133d4d543b1d04aac7abb724.jpg

There is not a great deal of change in the window itself, but the image projected onto the side-wall has had an interesting makeover.

The details of the algorithm are in the posting mentioned earlier.

The window itself is the East Window of the Church of St James the Less, in Hadleigh, Essex.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I've been doing some HDR in churches recently and found stained glass windows surprisingly difficult to autofocus on.  I'll use manual focus next time, but is this something you've experienced?  FWIW, I think there's a significant difference in the window - thanks for sharing!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 hours ago, IanSG said:

I've been doing some HDR in churches recently and found stained glass windows surprisingly difficult to autofocus on.  I'll use manual focus next time, but is this something you've experienced?  FWIW, I think there's a significant difference in the window - thanks for sharing!

I do most church windows with autofocus. The one above was taken with my quicky Canon Powershot on auto-almost-everything to snatch the shots. I did adjust the exposure compensation to get the bracketing. I was actually there giving a performance with my Singalong group, so did not bring the DSLR!

I would be interested to see a thread on stained-glass windows in this forum. I will  show you mine if you will show me yours.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

HDR has a wealth of enticing functions that make it difficult to stop (editing). It's all a matter of preference, but artists can take it anywhere. That is the brilliance but also potential pitfall of advanced graphic programs. In this case, I like what you did; the result is appealing.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

15 hours ago, VectorWhiz said:

HDR has a wealth of enticing functions that make it difficult to stop (editing). It's all a matter of preference, but artists can take it anywhere. That is the brilliance but also potential pitfall of advanced graphic programs. In this case, I like what you did; the result is appealing.

Thanks @VectorWhiz. The posting above was an experiment with no pretentions  of it looking  realistic. I have mainly used HDR for church interiors and (especially) stained glass windows where I do try to make it look realistic. See my other thread in this forum.

John