You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This report is about a bug with the keyboard shortcut CTRL+Left Click. 

This is how it should work: When you press CTRL + drag, it creates a duplicate of the form, and drags it around. This is a fast way to copy an object. I can hold down CTRL + hold down Left Click, and losen up the CTRL, and drag the duplicate around with me. 

This is how it currently works: When you press CTRL + drag, it creates a duplicate of the form visually, and drags it around. If you losen up the key CTRL, the copied object disappears, and the original object that was being copied, would now appear to be dragged around. 

I must hold in the CTRL key all the time, and losen it AFTER I have stopped holding left click on it, in order for the duplicate to be permanent. 

• Staff

Hi Yes,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is by design. Previously the program was working that way (as you want), that is, pressing and holding CTRL and dragging the object would duplicate it and move it around even if you release CTRL. This was changed to the way it works now since it's more flexible - you can now create a duplicate even if you didn't press/hold CTRL initially and also give up from the duplicate if you release CTRL at any time.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

This is by design. Previously the program was working that way (as you want), that is, pressing and holding CTRL and dragging the object would duplicate it and move it around even if you release CTRL. This was changed to the way it works now since it's more flexible - you can now create a duplicate even if you didn't press/hold CTRL initially and also give up from the duplicate if you release CTRL at any time.

I wasn't aware until now that you can copy with the Ctrl key. I used the Alt key until now (as with Adobe). Is it intentional that there are two shortcuts for copying?

However, I find the flexieble additional function to the Ctrl key very good. What spoke against equipping the Alt key with this additional function instead of additionally introducing the Ctrl key?

Will there be an option to disable this? I think this will be very hard if it is different to this publisher and photo/designer. Also, after learning one way, it feels hard to unleard the habit of holding down the CRTL. 

Maybe it becomes easier to unlearn the other way, if knowing what the purpose of it doing like that is. I cant figure out a way when it is useful. 

As a small ending I got a theory to the alt being ctrl. On mac you use the command for shortcuts, and it is easier for mac users to use windows (as alt+command are on same positions). 

Kind regards

Yes 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.