Strange. What image type was placed? Is the image OCR'ed from a print? Used obviously JPXDecode. A PDF preflight showed, that the compression of the image is forbidden for PDF/X-1a or PDF/X-3. Inside Acrobat Pro I converted the image to sRGB and saved the file. Now I am able to place or open it.

EDIT: Publisher has problems with the compression of the images. With pdfToolbox I changed the compression to JPEG-Compression (DCTDecode) and opening or placing wasn't a problem anymore.

Edited by Joachim_L
Another test run

Just a hint: You can easily "repair" these PDF by opening and saving them with IrfanView. I just ran a test and it worked. To minimize the extra work you can make a batch to convert them all at once.

Edit: You can use IrfanView as well to convert to various formats. Never had problems with this tool.

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

Joachim.  I didn't have IrfranView installed, and have never used it much in the past; but I did install it today and . . .
1. It opened up the 10 page pdf file realy quickly. This could be the fastest pdf viewer I have.
2. I quickly and easily re-saved the file, which then opened in Publisher.
Nice fix. Reminds me of the work-arounds we used to do at work.
Thanks

Joachim.  I also re-saved the original pdf file using my PDF-XChange viewer, and the resultant file also opened right up in Publisher.
So, I've learned a thing or two here.