You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher exporting the layout as I had it a few days ago rather then as I do now.

Something strange I noticed when I exported a simple two page layout recently. Publisher didn't export the file as it looks in the program currently but rather as an old version from several days ago. I have never seen anything like this as I exported files in the past. Has that happened to anyone else? I don't use Publisher a lot but I thought I would try it out with a simple layout.

I tried to re-export it again this morning and I have different things happening now (I first discovered this problem a week ago and have since probably restarted my computer.) The file no longer exports as the layout was in the past but it doesn't always get export "current page" right. When I try to "export current page" which is page 1 it exports page 2. When I export "all pages" it exports both page 1 and 2. Also the "pages:" number entry area won't let me type in anything if I wanted to type in a range of numbers.

Another separate problem I noticed when searching for the file in Spotlight is when I do a search for "kind:Affinity Publisher" Spotlight only finds files that were initially created with Publisher. Since this document started in Affinity Photo it doesn't show up in search results. Spotlight doesn't have an option of searching

Vintage_Sweats_Review_Icon.afphoto

13 minutes ago, KipV said:

when I do a search for "kind:Affinity Publisher" Spotlight only finds files that were initially created with Publisher. Since this document started in Affinity Photo it doesn't show up in search results.

The document you attached has an .afphoto extension so that makes sense and should be expected.

13 minutes ago, KipV said:

When I try to "export current page" which is page 1 it exports page 2.

If you have something on page 1 selected when you attempt this does it still do that?  Just checking because there have been reports of this where people had simply scrolled to make one page visible on the screen but had not actually made it the current page - those are two different concepts in Publisher.

14 minutes ago, fde101 said:

The document you attached has an .afphoto extension so that makes sense and should be expected.

No, because it is a now a layout document with multiple pages, text, bleeds, measured out to the correct size for what it is being applied to, etc. It is past the photo editing stage. Even if I needed to do another photo edit that could be done via the Photo persona once that feature is ready. There doesn't appear to be a way to search for all Affinity documents either so I need to rely on this weird thought process of "let's see what app did I start creating this file in" rather than what will more likely be on my mind "what is the present form of the document I want to work on."

38 minutes ago, fde101 said:

If you have something on page 1 selected when you attempt this does it still do that?  Just checking because there have been reports of this where people had simply scrolled to make one page visible on the screen but had not actually made it the current page - those are two different concepts in Publisher.

This seems to be working okay now. I notice it is not clear when a page is selected. Sometimes there is a grey box around the page in the pages thumbnail area but when you click on the thumbnail it becomes more of a slate color and I am not sure what the difference is between the two types of highlights. From what I can gather grey is just the page you have scrolled to. I can't see what the difference would be between scrolling to a page or selecting it, either way it is still "the current page" and that is what should be exported.

Are you able to type page numbers into the type box from the export screen? I can't even get the insertion point blinker to come up.

17 minutes ago, KipV said:

No, because it is a now a layout document with multiple pages, text, bleeds, measured out to the correct size for what it is being applied to, etc.

All of the Affinity applications use a common file format.  An Affinity Photo file, Affinity Designer file, or Affinity Publisher file are identical except for the extension, as far as I can tell.  Whether it is spread-based (Publisher) or artboard-based (Photo/Designer) it will still be "native" to all three programs, so no real distinction.  Try just renaming it to change the extension.

20 minutes ago, KipV said:

I notice it is not clear when a page is selected.

The current page number is displayed in the status line in the lower-left corner of the main window.

21 minutes ago, KipV said:

I can't see what the difference would be between scrolling to a page or selecting it

Try zooming out until multiple pages are visible at the same time, then which one is current?  Also, it seems you can only have layers selected on the current page, so if scrolling to another page made it current, then simply scrolling would also be enough to cause the selection to be lost, and I for one don't consider that to be good behavior.

22 minutes ago, KipV said:

Are you able to type page numbers into the type box from the export screen?

I don't have it in front of me right now to check, but if memory serves, I think you need to select a specific option for that to be enabled?

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Whether it is spread-based (Publisher) or artboard-based (Photo/Designer) it will still be "native" to all three programs, so no real distinction.

The main distinction is that it doesn't show up in search results, really. I could do a long spotlight search where I go:

1.content kind:

2.any are true:

3. photo

4. designer

5. publisher

But even then I wouldn't be able to narrow down the search results due to getting three times of the results back. It still seems like if the last app I opened the file in is Publisher and I am in the layout stage of the project I should just be able to type in Publisher when doing a search.

12 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Try zooming out until multiple pages are visible at the same time, then which one is current?

Page two is current which was the page that was selected before I started zooming out.

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I don't have it in front of me right now to check, but if memory serves, I think you need to select a specific option for that to be enabled? 

I don't think so, the options right above the "Pages:" text box is "all pages" and "current page" and if one of those is selected you couldn't also select a limited range of pages since those options can't be true all at the same time. The other options under jpeg export "size" and "quality" I am able to type in.

5 hours ago, KipV said:

Are you able to type page numbers into the type box from the export screen? I can't even get the insertion point blinker to come up.

I can if I have "All Spreads" or "All Pages" selected but not if I have "Current Spread" or "Current Page" selected.

You only have the "All Spreads" option for Area when your document contains spreads, that is, facing pages.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

You only have the "All Spreads" option for Area when your document contains spreads, that is, facing pages.

I see, I got it to work and now I can also type into the text box for pages. Interesting thing I noticed, when I undid all the spreads I added to the document and got back to two pages again (not facing) it's now letting me put the text insertion into the pages box. Never worked before.

10 hours ago, KipV said:

I am not even sure how to put two pages together to make a spread.

There is a checkbox to enable "Facing Pages" when creating a new document or in "Document Setup" - with Publisher this is currently all-or-nothing, you can't really have a mix of them (I do hope they get that fixed eventually, but I wouldn't expect more than this for the first release).

On 2/20/2019 at 2:00 AM, fde101 said:

There is a checkbox to enable "Facing Pages" when creating a new document or in "Document Setup" - with Publisher this is currently all-or-nothing, you can't really have a mix of them (I do hope they get that fixed eventually, but I wouldn't expect more than this for the first release).

It looks like the new Publisher (249) lets me type in the "Pages:" area now! That was a fast fix!

It's been nice to use Publisher for simple layouts like this video thumbnail icon on my YouTube channel. If something goes wrong with the file due a bug it wouldn't be too hard to recreate like a long form book would be or other major project would be. It gives me a way to test the waters a little bit. Nice

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 5.26.16 PM.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.