You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Non-Destructive Burn not working for me

I'm trying to follow Ritson's video below. Surely some trivial setting is wrong. When I paint on the 50% gray layer with the burn brush, nothing changes, even at 100% opacity. When he paints, you can see the gray layer getting lighter in places. I'm attaching a full screen shot.

1636088639_ScreenShot2019-02-18at7_48_31PM.thumb.png.ea7031bd155479c18d31bb13b50f4a27.png

. Surely some trivial setting is wrong.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

The burn tool works on a separate pixel layer as expected. It also sort of works if I select both the fill layer and the pixel layer underneath, with the burning happening visibly in the combined image -- but Ritson's video shows the gray layer changing lightness. Mine does not.

This may or not be pertinent. I could not get Ritson's sequence 'create fill layer and then fill it with 50% gray' to work. Instead I chose 50% gray in the color panel and then created the fill layer from the menu, whereupon the new layer contained the desired gray. The color panel single circle was gray but could be adjusted to B/W without apparently affecting the burn brush behavior.

Changing Tonal Range from Shadows to Midtones did not have any perceptible effect.

Edited by LenC
Added details

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

2 hours ago, LenC said:

but Ritson's video shows the gray layer changing lightness. Mine does not

Depends on settings, brush type, hardness, further he used the highlights tonal range. - Related to setting fill to 50% gray, there is also a keyboard shortcut entry in the preferences for this (Photo, under misc) where you can assign an own key combo for quicker access then when applied.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I've created a couple of macros.
One for Dodging & one for Burning.
Basically they are identical, only the name giving differs.

Dodge & Burn.afmacros

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

@HVDB Photography

FYI, when I tried to import your macros to my Mac I got an error "Unexpected Macros Format." Windows issue or something else? Do the macros work on either OS?

Perhaps unrelated, but your macros file, my Ritson macros file, and all my production 1.6.7 afphotos files have recently acquired a square beta logo. An AP beta version is on my machine but will not run even though it is in the same standard apps directory as AP and all my other apps. The Ritson macros, including one for dodge and burn, appear to have stopped working. May not be your problem but my apparently peculiar though standard Mac.

Also, >|<: thanks, that was it.

14 minutes ago, LenC said:

FYI, when I tried to import your macros to my Mac I got an error "Unexpected Macros Format." Windows issue or something else? Do the macros work on either OS?

Make sure you are using the Library Panel to import these macros not the Macro Panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, I just checked it: Library panel. Here is error message:

1877865859_ScreenShot2019-02-19at10_09_16PM.png.3ae6c479e4708bebcdbee53e30fdaf74.png

Looks like they may have been created in the 1.7 beta as I can load them in the beta but not in the 1.6 released product

@HVDB Photography will need to confirm this and maybe supply you a copy in 1.6 format

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't need the macro that seriously, though there are issues here to be resolved. Why have the Ritson macros stopped working? And, if any Serif experts take note and have an idea how I can run both the beta and the production versions on my desktop, it would be much appreciated. Maybe this leakage of beta icons into my Finder window display provides a clue. As noted above, the betas will not run on my desktop Mac Mini even though they are in the same standard app directory as AP 1.6.7.

The icons changing to the new beta square shape is to be expected as you installed the beta (you can ignore this)

The beta not working on your Mac should be reported in a new thread in the Mac Photo beta forum section.

Giving as much information as possible as to what happens when you try to run it (include screenshot of error message if any)

The devs actively monitor that forum section specifically for problems with the latest beta

Well the icon change didn't happen on the first beta install and failure to run a month or more ago. It happened just now, with no further attempted beta install. The history is rather hard to recover, but I may still have an old installer in my trash.  I will write this up again for the beta thread, but it did not get resolved the previous time.

Looking through the trash, the original unrunnable beta was dated December 2018. As I scrolled through files in the trash, they all (of every type) came up with the square beta logo, which in a few seconds switched to a more appropriate one.Anyway, I will write up this tomorrow.

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Looks like they may have been created in the 1.7 beta as I can load them in the beta but not in the 1.6 released product

@HVDB Photography will need to confirm this and maybe supply you a copy in 1.6 format

That's right, sorry. 
I didn't realize I was busy doing some testing in the bèta v 1.7 .
Here's the version exported from AP v 1.6 .

Dodge & Burn v1.6.afmacros

How to import & execute.pdf

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

That works, though I had to force quit and relaunch a locked-up AP 1.6.7.