You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loving New and Improved HSL Adjustment in 1.7.0.243, But I Have Suggestions

Hello! I recently downloaded the latest beta and it is truly amazing. Huge performance improvements, the addition of things that were missing before (like being able to negatively adjust the blackpoint in levels adjustment) and there are some neat new improvements to the HSL adjustments, where you can now pick a specific color and adjust its hue / saturation / luminosity. Cool. 

However:

1. The picker should not be grayed out by default. Why do I need to select a color first, before I can select the picker? 
  2. Here's my more important suggestion: add plus and minus color pickers in addition to the standard picker. Take a look at how it's done in Davinci Resolve. Here's how I think it would work behind the scenes:
    1. Firstly, let it be assumed that the picker would now not only select hue, but also would select by saturation and luminosity. It would function like the magic wand tool.
      1. On its own, this would suck. But read on.
    2. Now, add a + and - picker. With the + picker, you can click and drag to add to the selection. If you make a mistake, use the - picker to remove from that. 
      1. Maybe add a "fuzziness" slider, too, to make the selection less harsh.
    3. This is how I imagine it would look like (ignore all of the nodes and stuff that Davinci Resolve does, of course; just look at the + and - color pickers in the color selection panel)

• Staff

Hey HuniSenpai,

1. This is because by default, the master channel is pre-selected. According to the help:
Picker—allows you to sample a specific colour from your image on which to base your adjustment. The currently active solid colour node will be updated after picking; the Master node cannot be colour picked.

I will pass your improvement suggestion over. Thanks :) 

11 hours ago, HuniSenpai said:

The picker should not be grayed out by default. Why do I need to select a color first, before I can select the picker? 

Yeah, I have been wondering the same, the software should be smart enough to "know" what color range the user is picking.

If I may add one more bit here is that the picker should work with a modifier key, for example Alt will enable the picker so the user relieve from extra redundant clicks. Just remember one thing... the less clicks the better.

The current workflow is first creating the Adjustment layer, then selecting the color in the color bubble?, then enabling Picker and finally clicking on the image, there are total of 4 clicks. Now the new proposal is, first creating the Adjustment layer then holding Alt and click on the image, the total clicks have been reduced to two only, by doing this we reduce by 50% the amount of clicks and the program will become more ergonomic.

Cheers,
Juan

• 1 month later...

Agreed! The fewer clicks the better!

For me, my 3 things would be: text warping (i use it for nearly every project involving text--ugh), a blend tool like in AI and the ability to do RIP separations from Affinity, like in AI. Then my life would be complete

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.