You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Collapse All" Option in the Layers Panel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, loukash said:

Either that, or what's wrong with the system-wide standard (on MacOS at least) Option-click to expand/collaps all?

Yes, please. Follow the system-wide standard on macOS. Would be lovely. 😊

I have been missing this option sorely these days. 😥

• 2 weeks later...

+1

(It's also interesting to note that no matter how much you press ctrl+a in the layer panel and choose "collapse selection", you can never get everything to collapse... so the only workaround is a lot of manual clicking.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 3:24 PM, eobet said:

+1

(It's also interesting to note that no matter how much you press ctrl+a in the layer panel and choose "collapse selection", you can never get everything to collapse... so the only workaround is a lot of manual clicking.)

The Ctrl+A part didn't work because it will complete the "Select All" command instead (which IMO is what it should do) but manually selecting the layers and hitting "collapse selection" in the right click menu worked for me in Photo 1.10.0.1127

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This idea/request seems to have been around for ages now.....obviously like myself, there are a lot of converts from Illustrator who when using multiple parent layers with many layers attached to that parent find it frustrating when they all open unnecessarily! a lot of time therefore spent opening and closing layers. Be so glad when a workaround is adopted.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, eobet said:

+1

Yup agree with what eobet says. 

Based on my experience, you can technically select all (ctrl + A) those layers, but it only collapses those groups that are visible. Hidden groups that have been expanded were not even included in the select all (ctrl + A) list. (I'd also have to manually click through to hide them)

Would really help to be able to set a shortcut for this too.

Edited by LPJ

Frankly, folks:
Meanwhile I've memorized the "right-/control-click > Collapse/Expand Selection" gesture so that it doesn't get in my way at all.
Essentially, if you want to collapse or expand all layers in the Layers panel, no matter how nested they are:

1. Select the topmost object in the Layers panel
  2. Shift-select the bottommost object in the Layers panel > selection automagically changes to whatever the top level hierarchy objects/layers/artboards are
  3. Right-/ctrl-click one of those selected layers > Collapse/Expand Selection

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

44 minutes ago, loukash said:

Frankly, folks:
Meanwhile I've memorized the "right-/control-click > Collapse/Expand Selection" gesture so that it doesn't get in my way at all.
Essentially, if you want to collapse or expand all layers in the Layers panel, no matter how nested they are:

1. Select the topmost object in the Layers panel
  2. Shift-select the bottommost object in the Layers panel > selection automagically changes to whatever the top level hierarchy objects/layers/artboards are
  3. Right-/ctrl-click one of those selected layers > Collapse/Expand Selection

What I do, if I have many Artboards:

• Ctrl + 0 (Zoom out to see all)
  • Select all with the Mouse (Ctrl + A doesn't do the trick)
  • Right Click on any Artboard, in the Layers Panel and then I collapse all

A single action to do so would be really welcome, even if I can live with my own method.

Best regards!